Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Countershaft install problem - Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countershaft install problem - Help!
    Posted: 22 Nov. 2015 at 11:28am
I am busy rebuilding the T90. I got the master rebuild kit from Novak Adapters which includes a new countershaft. I am referencing both the Novak guide as well as the Rick Stivers guide.

The clustergear/countergear is all loaded up with the needle bearings and washers, and the cluster shaft spacer, and is sitting in the bottom of the case. The thrust washers are all installed in the case on the ends. The countershaft has gone in from the back just fine and is right at the point where it wants to locate in the front of the case. I can see the end. It has cleared all the thrust washers. It has less than half an inch to go.

My problem is that it just won't go in the last bit. I am able to lift the cluster gear to make sure that the shaft is aligning properly with the front hole, but it won't go. I have tried tapping with a plastic hammer, and also with a brass drift. But I don't want to hit too hard for fear of damaging something.

1. How hard should I have to hit?
2. Has anyone ever had a problem with the countershaft install from Novak?
3. Anything else I should be trying?

There was a very, very slight shoulder at the lock plate end of the Novak countershaft. Too small to even measure, but large enough to feel with your finger. My gut feel is that this is stopping the shaft from going in the rear hole. But surely they wouldn't sell a shaft that doesn't fit? And if they did others would have had the same problem as me? The last thing I want to do is to start modifying my brand new specially hardened countershaft to get it to fit. Confused

Please help!

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2015 at 12:36pm
I've never bought a shaft from Novak, so I can't help, but maybe ask them? 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2015 at 2:07pm
Turns out the shoulder is measureable.
19.20mm on the shaft
19.35mm on the shoulder.

In inches that's 0.7559" on the shaft.
0.7618" on the shoulder.

That's 0.0059" difference, or less than 6 thousandths of an inch.

Should I try to take this shoulder off? Should there even be a shoulder?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2015 at 4:15pm
If anyone wants to know how long it takes to sand the shoulder down from a "specially hardened" Novak countershaft by hand, I've got the answer....

MOST OF A SUNDAY AFTERNOON!  Dead

I have become an expert in taking it in and out, but the good news is that I have it to a stage where it now locates in the front case hole, and only has about 4mm to go at the back - I think this will be achievable with a bit of persuasion and a brass drift. It is about as tight a fit as you can get. In fact, a custom fit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2015 at 7:57am
So this is the shoulder I was talking about.... (after being sanded down)

Do all shafts have this shoulder, or just the Novak one?

I would be interested if anyone has had a similar experience with the Novak shaft lately...
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2015 at 3:28pm
You should contact Novak to question them about that shaft. You have me curious, maybe a custom made for a worn enlarged hole in a transfer case.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 6:55am

To date no reply from Novak on the countershaft shoulder issue, so I guess this will go unanswered for the moment...! Confused

After sanding the shoulder down to fit, I finished up the rebuild of the T90. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

I had trouble shifting from second to third by hand, but a search of this forum says that this is often stiff, and seems to be easier when the transmission is installed, full of oil, and the shift lever provides some mechanical advantage into the shift fork. Nothing is binding up and it all turns freely by hand, so I'm going to trust that it will all be good when installed!

I am left with an additional snap ring from the Novaks rebuild kit I ordered.

It has an ID of 1.4429", OD of 1.7657" and thickness of 0.0945". There are only two of these SMALLER type snap rings that I can find on any exploded parts list - the front input shaft bearing retainer, and the clutch hub to mainshaft retainer. These are both on.

1. Anyone have experience of this same kit from Novak, and also end up with a "spare" snap ring?
2. Would it possibly be used if you had an overdrive?

It is always disconcerting when you finish a rebuild and have parts left over! I am looking for some comfort that I haven't overlooked anything on the rebuild!

Thanks!

Post edited to clarify the relative size of the snap rings that are causing confusion

Edited by JeepSaffer - 29 Nov. 2015 at 4:33pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 3:56pm
I SEE 3 ON THE DIAGRAM.

http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/illustrations/47/fig-24axl.jpg
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 4:30pm
You are quite correct Terry, and I should have been more clear in my post.

I received 3 SMALL snap rings, of which I can only find place for 2, these being labelled 5 and 34 in the exploded diagramme above. I have 1 small remaining as an extra. The LARGE front bearing snap ring (labelled 4 in the diagramme above) is not in doubt, and not included in my count!

Edited by JeepSaffer - 30 Nov. 2015 at 6:24am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 5:04pm
I'm pretty sure you've got everything covered.

There are the three that Terry points out in the drawing. This one locks the hub assembly to the main shaft...

The other two hold the front bearing in position on the input shaft. Both are on this front face...

I will add...

I didn't get my T90 kit from Novak, but I did buy their intermediate shaft kit for the Dana 18. It had a washer included that I did not need...or expect.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 29 Nov. 2015 at 5:07pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 6:21pm
Thanks Tim. That provides some comfort that I have installed things correctly. Also that Novak will sometimes send you things that you don't need.... Or expect!
 Post Reply Post Reply