Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle anchor point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle anchor point
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2015 at 2:47am
Brain storming on anchor points for trailering my M38.
What do you guys think of making and putting a 3/16" or 1/4" plate between the spring pack and the stock plate, patterned after stock spring plates but would have an ear off the edge with hole. Then using these as tie-down points. Or just revamping the old plates with a loop off the side.
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2015 at 8:35pm
I don't like having the jeep being able to bounce on it's springs on the trailer.  I bind mine down by the frame. YMMV
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2015 at 11:27pm
I just put the chain around the axle.  Going from one rear corner to the other.  Ease the Jeep forward in four wheel low to get the chain tight.  Put a chain on the front and use one binder.  Never noticed the Jeep bouncing and it has not moved right or left.  Eeyore sits happily until the end of the trip.
I use a 16' utility trailer with brakes on both axles.  I like trailering over flat towing as the trailer has brakes.  I never had brakes on a flat towed Jeep and 2,000#'s or so of Jeep really pushes during a stop.   Tom      
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2015 at 12:46am
I vote for installing and using the 4 tie down brackets that are standard on the M38 frame.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2015 at 12:52am
Bretto,
I use the actual tie down points that are unique to the M38 and A1. I'm in the same camp with Phillip. I prefer to control the movement of the suspension when trailering.

I hook a ratchet strap to each of the front tie downs, and each of the mid frame ties downs. I then take one more strap through the pintle hook at the rear. The mid frame straps may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 26 Nov. 2015 at 12:57am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2015 at 2:16am
I usually place a large ratchet strap around the front axle and one around the rear and then smaller ratchet straps to each of the tie down brackets and/or spring shackles. Seems like there's plenty of existing places to strap to without having to create any additional ones. 
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2015 at 4:11am
Alright, I think I'm just overthinking.
I'm going to just utilize what was engineered for the Jeep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2015 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Alright, I think I'm just overthinking.
I'm going to just utilize what was engineered for the Jeep.

Ya Pal, don't forget how sweetly our 2 jeeps rode on the gooseneck to and from the FCT.  They didn't move an inch. We simply ratchet strapped at the 4 frame tiedowns (crossed at front), and chain and binder thru pintle. With serious wheel chocks no worries.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 10:00pm
Sprung weight bounces. Unsprung weight can't. Hitting a large bump or railroad crossing can either snap a strap or unhook things. If you pull the axle itself down against your tires , that in my mind is the best. Crossing the straps front and back keeps side movement from happening. I simply strap over the leaf springs right next to the axle. Front ones go behind the axle, rear ones go in front of the axle. All you need to be concerned about is possible cutting or rubbing through. Use 4 wratchet straps. If one breaks, you still have three there. Chaining over the punkin and boomering to each corner with one chain works, but if it comes off or loose, you are unhooked on that end-------bad.  Maybe make a strong loop that bolts to the ubolts below the shock plate. Make it heavy so you can shield the nuts and ubolts from rocks.  Dual purpose. Jpet needs these!LOL Bunch of "Rock Heads" John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 10:38pm
  I agree with Oilleaker. If you want a thrill show, just follow a trailer or truck with a vehicle tied on by the frame down the road and watch the chains or straps as the combination goes over bumps and dips in the road. I'd like to stay behind and watch, but I'd rather be in front when that thing comes off. 
  I tie down by the axles and let 'er bounce. That's what it's made to do-that's why it has springs. With the jeep's springs and shocks absorbing the bounce, there's less force transferred into the trailer's chassis and suspension.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:26pm
I hook the rear chains on top of the frame just behind the floor step up and the chain hangs down the outside and under the spring to hook on the opposite side of the trailer to for an X under the jeep to keep it centered. the front I use 1 chain looped across the top of the bumper and under each side to the front of the trailer. 

Keeps me from having to crawl around under a muddy jeep or dirty trailer.

Edited by jeeper50 - 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:28pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:46pm
If you can feel the jeep bouncing all around when you just have the axles chained down buy a bigger tow vehicle. Dont strap them down by using the frame.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2015 at 11:45pm
What are your thoughts on these add-ons?
Unorthodox, eyesore, stupid, what are you thinking, thoughts?
I bent these from CR 7/16" stock into hoops and welded to the underside and to the front of the spring plates. Same hoops on the rear axle.
I'm my most toughest critic so my thought is I think they may look a bit goofy but I think they are suitable but want to have your honest opinion. They could easily be removed.

pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2015 at 11:55pm
Look fine to me, cut those dang u-bolt ends off though!Wink.  I suppose a hard core wheeler would suggest that they might be another point to get hung up on, but I'm guessing that's not its intended purpose.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2015 at 5:45am
If they came on my rig, I would inspect them for cracks & bad welds before I used them. If they are OK, I would use them. They are a plus if you trailer it much.

I am too lazy to make these as I rarely trailer mine. Hell, I do not think that I have ever trailered my 48 CJ. Although I have only owned it for six years, so early days at this point.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2015 at 3:14pm
I see you're still brainstorming.  They're not all that obtrusive, most folks wouldnt notice them.
What are your plans for tiedowns, hooked ends and 2" strap cross tied front and rear? I still throw a 5/16 chain and binder thru the pintle. With the M38's heavy spring packs they don't bounce much when tied at the axles.
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2015 at 4:06pm
Was planning on just 4 crossed straps front and rear and removable chocks after I find the sweet spot on deck.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2015 at 4:19pm
My chocks are placed permanently at the sweet spot. They're beveled 2 sides @ 45deg so I just drive the jeep over them till it nests. Sweet. I know other family members will use your trailer for ATV's so ya removable chocks prolly works best for you. See ya.. Rick

Edited by RICKG - 09 Dec. 2015 at 4:21pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>