Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Sad News Sam Cottrell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2015 at 11:34pm
I'm too new here to opine intelligently on Sams passsing, but I'm old enough to recognize his influence on the hobby I've recently come back to...

from where I sit his passing is an opportunity lost... and I'm obviously lesser for it.

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 12:40am
Me, too. Soon after I joined the forum (my first) Sam suggested in a pm (I think) that we get together for a cup and talk Jeeps. Well, I did not know him or anyone here, so I let it pass. I met him at the first VFFC get together some time later, and he rode with me in Scabby. I regret the times I missed in between.

Rick Estes
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 1:32am
Here's a cool photo I found in Sam's Picasa photos:

Don't remember the guy on the left but the rest are ricco, Doug Timme, jpet, samcj2a, Pat T., Joe/IA, westforkboyd, rocnroll, Del Clear

Taken at the fall reunion 2008
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 1:43am
Speaking of that....has anybody been in contact with Del?

(he was also a member of the 'secret hamburger society" and was there that fateful day that Sam ordered.)LOL

There was also a story about Del's Mojito that day that never got told. Wink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 9:50pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 9:58pm
Ole Red made it to the memorial service.

Very sad day for me today and very extraordinary. I talked to several of Sam's friends and co-workers who I had never met before. Turns out that Sam is a highly respected expert in computers and data processing. He was highly praised for his ability to come up with solutions to complex data problems and it sounds like he could work anywhere he wanted. I knew that Sam was a "computer guy", but I had no idea how respected he was in his field. What I found most extraordinary is that many of his long time friends knew very little about his love for jeeps. Most people I talked to knew him as a computer genius who liked jeeps. I told them that I knew him as a highly respected jeep guy who did something with computers. Makes me grateful that I knew him the way that I did.

Sam is going to be laid to rest at Arlington sometime in the next few months. I'll keep you posted.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 10:05pm
He was a man of old and new technology. Interesting how he left his Jeeps original. Thanks for the pictures! very nice. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:17pm
Good job Jeff.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:43pm
Thanks Jeff.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2015 at 11:53pm
Thanks for posting Jeff.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 12:41am
Thanks Jeff.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 1:03am
  Arlington - that hints at something else I didn't know about Sam - not everybody gets into Arlington.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Arlington - that hints at something else I didn't know about Sam - not everybody gets into Arlington.  BW

Sam was a lieutenant who worked for the Pentagon in IT

Something else you probably didn't know about Sam was that his first 2A had a solid disc wheel on the passenger front!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 3:08am
Well now that the cat is out of the bag...

Sam spent a great deal of time working on a certain computer system that is waaaaay underground in a secret bunker system. I thank Sam for his service to make our country a safer place, but I didn't know his right front was a solid till now!

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 4:04pm
I remember when Sam and I took this ride.  He was very interested in what made it all go.  He asked very good questions and seemed to understand the complex electronics that made it possible.  I asked him about his background and training.  He hinted at his connection to government computer systems, but didn't reveal any details.  Over the many years I've known him, he has proven to have a very sharp mind, and a very sharp wit.  I will miss him.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2015 at 12:12am
I remember riding with Sam when I was out there without my jeep.  Very enjoyable ride and conversation.  Knew he had some background in computers but didn't get into detail.  I know he told me about his start in jeeps but can't remember the story.  Jpet, do you remember?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2015 at 12:27am
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

...... I know he told me about his start in jeeps but can't remember the story.  Jpet, do you remember?
I sure do:

A Tale of Two jeeps
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2015 at 1:53am
Reading the posts about Sam makes it obvious that he accomplished a lot in his life. One of the things that he did was gain the respect and friendship of a lot of the good people on this forum. I feel lucky that I am one of those people.

Joe
1948 CJ2A "Norm"
1967 M715 "Buttugly"
2014 Ram 3500
2019Jeep Grand Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>