Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 4:07pm
As you know my trailer is 14ft too. As set up loading jeep nose forward my cg is just behind the front axle. But my axles are further forward.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 4:14pm
I agree with the forward facing crowd. You will increase the tongue weight closer to the 15% of total trailer gross weight. That will be more stable at speed.
BOULDER 48 2A
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 6:56pm
I still pretty much have to have the Jeep where it's at. Most trailers are built with a 60/40 axle placement. Mine was there when it was 16' but when since It bobbed off 2 feet from the rear it's more like 70/30. So, if you can image 2’ still on the back end, the Jeep is sitting about where would be. I'll just have to see how it tows
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 7:13pm
Looking good bretto! I do see a huge problem. It's not at my place and it's not June 20th yet. Can't wait for all my friends to come play in my sandbox again. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 9:54pm
I was thinking bout the SD trip while it was on there
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 10:18pm
Well, I agree with "I'll just have to see how it tows".

That's really all that matters. 60/40 70/30 whatever.....it doesn't matter as long as it pulls safely.

Getting hung up on what used to be there is counterproductive. My trailer started as a ten foot single axle. Then I hung another axle behind that one....so it was a ten foot, double axle. Then I built Frankie and had to have a longer trailer so I extended the back 3 more feet and left the axles alone.  Now it looks much like the dimensions of yours.

I've never loaded a jeep that far back backwards.....guess we'll just have to see how it pulls at highway speeds....that's all that matters.

Too little tongue weight and you hit a dip at anything over 55 and the trailers gonna start wagging the tow vehicle around like you wouldn't believe.

Just trying to save you from pulling it all out of a ditch.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 11:13pm
Yep, I understand to well what happens with an overly heavy rear end on a trailer.   Thanks for your input.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 11:40pm
I know you well brother man and know you'll have it sorted out by the time I see ya again. SD here we come! 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 3:33am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

I know you well brother man and know you'll have it sorted out by the time I see ya again. SD here we come! 

Without a doubt!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12