Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pjensen641's Kubota swap with additional mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:59pm
Will do.  One turn out on the screw and it holds pretty well at 1100-1150 with 13-14 psi of boost.  I could be perfectly happy with the power there, but I can't leave well enough alone.Smile

Part of my motivation is that I bought a Bantam T3C trailer and would like to take this thing on a longer road /camping trip.  It would be nice not to have to worry about watching EGT at higher speeds and with a light trailer.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:05pm
Very good work here
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:00pm
Peter,

Please post pictures of your intercooler installation (So I can copy it...Wink) SmileBig smile

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:14am
Thanks for the compliments and interest gents!  I just ordered a set of 16" wheels and 215/85R16s.  I hope the wheels look decent, but I will definitely keep the stockers and NDTs for when I need the stock look.  I'm kicking around the idea of going on a few multi-day road/camping trips, and I think these will give me the little extra speed and ride I'm looking for.

Here is what I ended up with.  Cragar Soft 8

And Cooper STT Pro 215/85R16

jpet - 
The respect is certainly mutual!  I'm hoping some day to get some canvas for this rig.  I really like what you did with Bam Bam and the ROPS styled like military bows.  I'm curious if that is something you'd consider doing on a custom basis?

I'm also kicking around the idea of a more standard looking roll cage, but making sure the outside dimensions would support stock canvas.  Or maybe I'll just go way off in a different direction and do a minimalist bikini thing like Daniel Buck or Metcalf.  Decision Decisions....
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 12:00pm
You guys are killing me with your diesels and roading your rigs. Hopefully I can road trip my Willys pickup. I think black wheels will look good with any color on your Jeep. The wide whites always jumped out . A set of 16 inch pickup wheels would work too and definately look stock. They are a heavier duty wheel. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:11pm
Oilleaker-

I think you are right regarding truck or CJ5 rims etc.  I would have loved to have found some stock 16" wheels from a slightly newer application (prefer not to run tubes).  I just wasn't seeing anything locally.  I'd been watching craigslist all over my state for over 6 months, just didnt see any.  I finally decided that it was easier to go ahead and buy new.  Plus, these shipped for free and they will be mounted and balanced when they arrived, instant gratification Big smile.

I think a diesel pick-up will be very cool.  It'll probably make an even better road tripper.  I almost bought a pickup with a dauntless back in high school.  I didn't know what it was though, and I needed something a little more modern and better on gas.  That, and I thought they wanted too much money for it...I know better now!  Looking back, I'd loved to have had it.  The pick-ups just look cool.

You know what I think helps the most for getting a head of steam on these types of projects?....Set a goal for a show or trip and then tell a bunch of people you'll have it running by then..LOLLOL.  Had I not wanted to take this thing to the mountains, I still might not be driving it!

Maybe next year, I'll think about doing the SD road trip.  I'd like to finish painting it and get a bikini top rigged up, then I would plan on driving it out.  A bit over 600 miles, that should be doable in 2 days!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:33pm
By next summer, I'll have a '48 Pickup project truck available after I build mine. Title too! Planting a seed--------------Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 6:44pm
Spent Sunday working on my set-up.  It fits nicely!

Got the core support fabricated and the intercooler plumbed.  Still need to fabricate a bracket to hold the intercooler securely.  It is suprisingly heavy.  The end tanks are solid and the wall thickness on the rest is at least 3/16"!

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 7:47pm
Peter...that looks really nice.....:)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 8:45pm
Nice!  That's a more compact setup than I would have imagined.
2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 9:44pm
Install is done for now.  I still have a few small things to do, but its ready to drive.  It fits quite nicely.  I'm using 2.25" plumbing, and the U bend could use to be a bit tighter radius, but its not terrible.

Had to make a bracket to hold the IC.  The drivers side of the engine doesn't have many points to tie in.  I had to get creative to use only the hoist loop stud on that side.  The other side uses the same bolts as my throttle linkage.

The pump install up near the horn on the drivers fender.  Excuse the wiring mess.  I had my headlight relays there already and it got crowded.

The pump is the black cylinder in the lower part of the photo.  Here you can see the hoses going in to the front radiator.

Now I need to to some testing.  I drove it a little last night, but I plan to do a few runs up my test hill with and without the pump running.  All I can monitor is EGT, but I may try to get a thermocouple on my intake manifold.  I also have a manual fan switch so that I can force the fan to kick on, so I'll see what exactly that does as well.  My thought is that I may need it at low speed, but at higher speeds the normal air flow ought to be enough.  My fan really never runs just cooling the engine.

Initial impression says that it isn't a magic bullet that will lower EGT 300°, but I'll try to do some better testing before I give a real assessment.  I feel better about running 15 psi of boost when I know I am removing the heat from the intake charge though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 9:48pm
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:43pm
New shoes are on!  Didn't lose much steering angle at all!  I would have preferred 6" wide wheels, but they just aren't available.

Cragar Soft 8 16X7 with Cooper STT Pro 215/85R16.  Went from 27.5" tall tires to 30.5" tall tires.

The engine pulls them nicely and the 11" brakes are still plenty to lock them up.  I thought maybe EGTs might go up, but that is certainly not the case.  I think they went down at 55MPH due to the reduction in RPM.  I can pull my test hill (~8% Grade and 1/2 mile) at 55MPH now and only get to about 1000-1050°.  Before the Intercooler and wheels the EGT would just barely get to 1200°

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 4:10pm
Looking great Peter. Nice work! The new shoes look nice too!

Smile
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 4:14pm
looks good :)
2a #40500
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:24am
Jensen, I'm stoked! Those are exactly the tires I want on my 2A, and I've been working on a turbo setup for my otherwise stock flathead.

I toasted the motor testing it, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

I'm looking for 5psi over atmospheric. I know the flathead can handle it, as McCullough built marketed a two-stage belt-driven supercharger for the Go-Devil in the 50's that ran 2.5 and 5 psi boost.

Power-wise, I'm looking to be able to pull hills in 55-65mph areas 'at-speed' and not have to worry about altitude changes from the 2500 ASL where we live to the 5000+ ASL where we want to use the jeep.

I've very much enjoyed reading about your build, and respect the thought and research that went into it.

My 2A was stretched 24 inches before I bought it - it's a large part of WHY I bought it... My 'line' for my 2A is this: If Willys had built an expedition truck on the 2A platform in the 40's, this is how they would have done it.

Mods above a stock 2A would be:
- A turbo for slightly more power, but mostly for addressing extreme altitude changes.
- An extended wheelbase for stability and cargo capacity
- A 2.5 inch lift to counter 'breakover' clearance losses induced by the increased wheelbase
- Extra fuel capacity (I'm hoping to add a 25 gallon 'aux' tank where the frame was stretched). This eliminates the need to carry jerry cans. Jerry can mounting can be used to carry fresh water
- Twin spare tires mounted on a swing-away carrier behind the tailgate. Standoffs for the tires will be the Willys dually adapters for when extra flotation or side stability are needed. Carrier includes mounting for two jerry cans.
- MB/GPW type tool loadout
- Pioneer tools mounted SAS/LRDG style (more info if you want it)
- Full-length roof cargo basket for bulky, yet light items
- 30% Overdrive unit

caveats:
- nothing to be mounted outside the original side-to-side body dimensions of the jeep. This maintains the narrow go-anywhere profile of the jeep. This includes deleting the side mounted spare tire.
- Family-style roll cage, tied to the frame and seatbelts for all passengers. Nothing is more important than safety.
- All modifications and additions must be constructed in the flavor of Willys. Materials and design must be done in period style (with the exception of the turbo, which is unavoidable)

For the turbo, I'm using the Mitsubishi TD03-08G. Though I can't find a turbo map specific to this turbo/trim combination, it seems that it's characteristics match well with the needs of the L134. Any assistance with verifying this would be much appreciated. Given the L134's excellent low-end torque, my expectations from the turbo are added power in the upper RPM range, from 3000rpm to redline.

My goal, performance-wise, is to have a reasonably period-correct jeep that can ably handle hunting, fishing, camping in a diverse altitude range and pack a family of four with all the necessary gear for a week-long trip. The jeep is our go-to truck for elk and deer hunting and packing my jon boat out to area lakes.

If you wander across my various threads, you'll see that I'm in the process of installing a Buick V6, but I'd really rather not. I'd really prefer to keep her flathead powered. I'm doing it because she's our backup transportation when one of the 'usual' daily drivers go down. All thing considered, this is my intended daily driver for all seasons.

Respectfully,
Les

Edited by LesBerg - 14 June 2016 at 7:31am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:35am
BTW, that jeep would look more stunning that is already is if you had an 'extend-a-bed' so you could haul a pair of those bikes...

Just sayin'...
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:29am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

BTW, that jeep would look more stunning that is already is if you had an 'extend-a-bed' so you could haul a pair of those bikes...

Just sayin'...

Or more tools, parts, water and fuel, haha   LOL
2a #40500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>