Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project. Frankenwillys (Build Thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2016 at 12:26am
So, if you haven't seen my other thread over in the Tech section....

I have discovered a likely reason this old jeep was parked so many years ago.  I began disassembly of the transmission for cleaning and rebuild.  First off...everything in there is a mess.  Plenty of rust, but that is not the worst part.

The countershaft is broken.  Along with a lot of the countershaft gearing, etc....  This tranny is toast.

At this point, I'm going to try to source a T-90 + Transfer Case.  Hopefully, cheap and rebuildable without replacing a bunch of parts outside of small things.  This is probably the cheapest and easiest solution.  I will continue to try to get this transmission apart to clean things up.  

I have to drill (or grabit) one of the set screws on the shift rods.  That little hex screw is rounded out pretty badly, which is making it impossible to remove the rod.  That will be tonight's project, along with taking some pictures of my transmission crossmember to see what will be required if I switch transmissions.

Just a minor setback.

Happy jeeping!
1942 FrankenWillys (Grandpa's Jeep).    

"Lefty" Tub Serial #CJ-2A 180173
1942 Ford GPW Engine #5738 (Reconditioned)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2016 at 1:42am
I don't need it, but certainly someone would trade you decent T-90 for your T-84. Even in junk condition, the T-84 should be worth as much as a "dime-a-dozen" T-90 ..... or at least, I'd think so.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2016 at 4:08am
So here is where we are.

Transmission wasn't as torn up as it appeared once I got it all apart.  It took a LOT of banging, heat, penetrating oil, etc.  Since those gears and shafts were not likely to be used again, I wasn't real gentle.

Everything is out...here is what's left of my cluster....

The mess inside the bottom of the transmission case is unbelievable.  Just full of muck...nasty.  Once it is cleaned up, it's possible that the case is still useable.

The transmission mounts have been moved to accommodate the T-84 at some point long ago.  Now I'm debating on whether to rebuild this transmission or fix the mounts and throw a T-90 and different transfer in.  (Plus buy new driveshafts...)

Were you to be in my shoes...what would you do?  

I honestly don't know that this transmission is worth anything to anyone....it's pretty rough.  Outside of cleaning up/out the case and sourcing parts...not sure what to do with it.

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2016 at 8:25pm
I would list the tranny and other parts on the G503, someone will want them. You never know someone may trade for some parts you need like the drive shafts. I would go to the T90 its a little better.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2016 at 2:06am
Hey, I have trans and t case you can have (t90) I live at lake texoma and it seems you are close. I'm rebuilding a cj3a give me a call 214-862-8938
Cary
Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2016 at 5:59am
I'll definitely get in touch. Out of town at the moment.

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2016 at 1:53am
Update:

Great news!  

While my kids were playing on the driveway today, I grabbed the starter off the shelf to see what I could do with it.  Previously, if you remember, I hooked it up to my truck battery and got nothing.  I assumed that it was dead and would need to be replaced.

Now, I'm not 100% sure what I was thinking, other than the fact I had nothing to lose....

I completely disassembled the starter and cleaned it up.  Took a small detail steel brush and cleaned up the brushes, plates, and pretty much anything else that needs to transfer current.  After that, I put it all back together and walked over to my truck and jumper cables.

IT WORKED!  Good as new.  I am assuming that it is the original starter, meaning that I successfully resurrected a 74 year old part!

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 2:37am
What a great day working on "Frank."

After my success with the starter, I kept moving forward this afternoon on pulling the motor apart.

I worked on degreasing the block and head pretty thoroughly. 

Definitely beginning to see some of that original color!

The head cleaned up nicely as well.

After quite a bit of cleaning, I kept working on disassembly.  The distributor came out with a little coaxing, but was not stuck.  I will definitely need a new a cap...that's a given, but the distributor body has a small chip out of it as well. 

Would you use it anyway?  Replace?  I lean toward a new distributor...possibly a solid state electronic style.

Once I got things stripped down....

I flipped the block, and started working on the bottom end.

Everything on the bottom end looked really good.  No immediate issues to note as I pulled things apart.

And out come the pistons!  The crank looks good, but what was really amazing was the condition of the cylinder walls!  The have no scoring, no issues...aside from a little surface stuff at the very top.  I very lightly rubbed at it with light steel wool and it came right off.  (Sorry, don't have a great picture of that yet.)  Awesome.

Here are the pistons.

As you can see, there is a little discoloration on the pistons, but we will see if that is cleanable.  I would suspect it probably is.  The rings are all free, none are seized.  They actually look pretty good, but since they are out, I plan to go ahead and replace them.  

At this point, it looks like everything is serviceable and I won't have to do much, if any, machining. I realize that taking everything to a machine shop would be the most "correct" course of action, but I'm just looking to get the old jeep fit to run around town.  Not doing a full restoration or anything like that...  Maybe "next" time around.  I figure that this old jeep will be torn down again several times over the years.  I have no intention of parting with it.  I'm trying to do this project as inexpensively as possible.

Let me hear what you guys have to say!

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 3:45am
Hey Kidd,
Will you do me a favor? Please post an up close photo of your rings. Either installed or off. My GPW engine still has standard pistons and doesn't appear to have been rebuilt. It had an unusual set of rings.

Thanks.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 11:13pm
Apply some heat to your oil line fittings prior to attempting any removal.  The brass fittings are notorious for breaking off when turned even with the slightest pressure.    
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2016 at 12:55am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Hey Kidd,
Will you do me a favor? Please post an up close photo of your rings. Either installed or off. My GPW engine still has standard pistons and doesn't appear to have been rebuilt. It had an unusual set of rings.

Thanks.

Tim

Sure can.  Give me a day or two and I'll take care of that!

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2016 at 2:50am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Hey Kidd,

Thanks.

Tim

Here is a picture of those pistons.  They all look the same I believe.

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2016 at 2:57am
Lots of progress today.  

Everything is out of the engine case.  Things look good.  Now to get everything cleaned up, checked out and put back together.

I'll have to post a picture of the tool I made to pull the valves.  No store around my neck of the woods has anything that would work properly....so....I made one.  With a little cutting on one of the large clamps I had laying around, I fabricated a tool that worked well.  Just notched out the foot of the clamp to fit around the base of the valve retainer.  Piece of cake.

(Not sure why that picture uploaded small)

Empty case, ready for cleanup.  Lots of things to clean and go through, but it's all part of the process.

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 6:30pm
After looking more closely at the T-84, I might be able to save it.  It will definitely need a new cluster gear, and idler, but the main shaft is ok.  The rest of the gearing may be salvageable.  It doesn't look like I would have to scrap the whole thing.  I'm on the fence about all of it.  Part of me wants to just move on to the better T-90...but since the frame crossmember was modified for the WW2 tranny, etc...there is a part of me that wants to leave it (for now) just as my Grandpa built it...

I know that T-84 parts can be pricey, but there is something to be said for originality.  I think if I were replacing the whole drivetrain, I might feel differently.

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 10:47pm
So I got the transmission "pieces" completely disassembled with a little elbow grease and heat.  The main shaft is ok.  Some very minor pitting, but salvageable.  Same goes with most of the synchronizer parts, etc.  The cluster gear is a total loss, as is the idler.  They sat down in the muck at the bottom of the transmission.  I would have to replace one of the shift rails.  It didn't survive disassembly.  And of course the small bits. What to you think?  Source some bits and pieces to rebuild the original transmission?  OR go ahead and upgrade...

Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2016 at 2:37am
Definitely beginning to feel like I'm making progress.  Since we are on spring break, I have had some time get outside and work.

Today, I made substantial progress on the frame cleanup.

The engine case also got an initial coat of enamel.  This will help slow any additional rust that wants to creep in while I'm working on other things.  Pretty soon, I'm going to begin reassembling the engine.  At that point, I'll give it a final spray.

I have only hit a couple of roadblocks so far.  The first of which is my transmission dilemma...

Today, I ran into something new...

Is there a trick to removing the tube that the clutch/brake arm mount to?  I have removed everything that should be causing an issue.  The clutch arm was STUCK...not moveable.  I am assuming that the tube has frozen itself in place.  I applied plenty of heat, etc.  Not budging.  In trying to bump it out, I managed to tear up the end of the shaft.  That will get replaced...at this point, I just need it out of the frame....

Suggestions appreciated!

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2016 at 2:52am
Get a BF wrench and take off the ball that is threaded into the casting. Removing this should NOT be a problem. If it is, then soak with the universal stuck fastener solution (50/50 Acetone & ATF), then apply BFW.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Kidd42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidd42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2016 at 3:21am
Not sure the BF wrench is going to cut it for my clutch/brake tube.  It's toast...as is the shaft that goes through it.  I actually cracked the tube mount while trying to knock it free...

I know that I can get a re-pop "improved" bracket from Peter Dabella, and that will probably be the way I go when I get to that point.  

I did manage to get the front suspension loose.  It was stuck on there tight.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the back suspension off.  My goal is to get the frame to a point that I can make any necessary repairs, fab up anything I need to (like a battery tray) and start he process of getting the suspension and drivetrain back in it.  Hopefully I can have it back in a roller state by summer.  We will see.

Edited by Kidd42 - 11 Mar. 2016 at 3:46am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>