Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2016! - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2016 - 24 Sep. 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 37>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Might be out of fun money by the fall.

Well heck then just dip into the mad money!!Wink
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 4:34am
Fall Color Tour Teaser!

Its hard to believe but its only a couple of months till the fall color tour.   Some friends were out from Ohio and we decided to runs a few of the "adventure" trails. One of my favorites is Tellurium creek (584).  Its north of Taylor Reservoir several miles so its quite a hike to get over there.... but it is one of the most scenic and unnerving roads around.  It has some of the most narrow and off camber switchbacks I have been on.   Its even narrow in a flat fender!  It makes Black Bear Road seem like a highway.  This road isn't very well traveled by any Jeeps (mostly ATVs/UTVs) so things get kinda narrow.   Anyway......its a great trail that's off the beaten path.

Tellurium Creek - 584

http://www.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=020407IO*267754wd&areaid=COMONTROSE&rectype=four-wheel%20driving&startrecord=1&fromPage=summary&CU_ID=1

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 4:39am
Tellurium Creek - More pics

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 4:41am
Tellurium Creek - At the top

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 4:47am
Tellurium Creek - on the edge

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 4:58am
Mt Antero

Another trip took us to the top of Mt Antero.  Its a long rocky road up to the top. Lots of loose rock and switch backs. But the reward is that you end up at @13500' above sea level    That is is over a mile higher than base camp at Thirsty Dirt Ranch!   The neat thing is that you get to visit the place where the film Prosectors.   In fact there were several prospectors up there looking for aquamarine.

A coupel of things to remember:

Make sure your carbs are tuned for elevation!  O2 molecules are far a few between!  The last climb up to the top is kinda steep and rocky... not a place to be stalling out due to a flooding carb!

It gets cold!   Its was mid 80s when we left the house and 40s by the time we got to the top. BRING EXTRA LAYERS!

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:02am
Antero - At the summit

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:03am
Mt Antero

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:07am
Mt Antero - Climbing toward the summit

aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:13am
Excellent pics!  How long did the trip to Tellurium and back take?  How long up Antero and back?  Looks like you didn't have any issues.  Nice!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

willytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:15am
Mt Antero - Heading up the shelf roads

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:02pm
Just what I needed to light a fire to get ready - very inspirational pics!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by willytj willytj wrote:

Mt Antero

Another trip took us to the top of Mt Antero.  Its a long rocky road up to the top. Lots of loose rock and switch backs. But the reward is that you end up at @13500' above sea level    That is is over a mile higher than base camp at Thirsty Dirt Ranch!   The neat thing is that you get to visit the place where the film Prosectors.   In fact there were several prospectors up there looking for aquamarine.

The Fall Color Tour up Antero will stop at the bench at 13,000 feet.  Your lungs and your carb will still work at that elevation, more or less.  It's still a grand view.  That last 500 feet up is very steep and rocky, and it'll take us long enough to get the whole group up and down from the 13,000 foot bench.

A coupel of things to remember:

Make sure your carbs are tuned for elevation!  O2 molecules are far a few between!  The last climb up to the top is kinda steep and rocky... not a place to be stalling out due to a flooding carb!

Part of the reason we'll stop at 13,000 feet.  When Ron says "kinda steep and rocky" it's an understatement!!

It gets cold!   Its was mid 80s when we left the house and 40s by the time we got to the top. BRING EXTRA LAYERS!

Very very true!  On a typical day, the temperature will drop 3-8 degrees for every 1,000 feet you go up.  So if you leave Thirsty Dirt Ranch at 70 degrees, it could be in the 30's when we reach the 13,000 foot level.  And if you think the wind blows at the ranch, you should see it high in the mountains!

Ron sure has a sweet M38, and it's really well set up for driving in the mountains with fuel injection, 4 speed, newer axles, bigger brakes, changed suspension, and bigger tires.  That's why he will be our "High Adventure" guide this year.  But I've got to get him to get rid of those Ohio plates!!

Edited by m38mike - 25 July 2016 at 3:27pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 1:32am
Hey Mike,

Just stuff for the jeep in one place before packing jeep for CFCT.  Ran across an collapseable rod and spinning reel.  Do you suppose there are any trout in those mountain lakes?

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 3:26am
Fltfndr,  You just know there are good fish in those high mountain lakes.  I've fished in O'Haver, South Cottonwood, North Fork Reservoir, and Boss Lake.  All of those lakes have produced nice trout for me.  I'd say pack the rod and bring it along!  In fact a few of us were just talking last week about figuring out how to carry a canoe on top of a Jeep to get it up to some of these lakes.  So bring the rod and some lures.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 4:11pm
Looking at the pictures from "willytj" is a real teaser! Looking at the schedule and only about 7 weeks to go - woooo hoooo!

Installing an electric fuel pump this weekend so I don't choke out at 13K -

Mountains, Jeeps and good folks to share it with! PRICELESS.........

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 4:21pm
m38mike, Any idea how many jeeps we should see this year? Just want to be sure I make enough dutch oven cobblers for the group. I hope MooCow is still planning on BBQ!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 7:54am
Still planning on pulled pork nachos!  Your going to love them.  I am a bit concerned about my carburetor, I rebuilt it a few years back when I restored the jeep.  The thing just started right up and has run well with no adjustments ever since.  May be looking for some help in adjusting it when I get there as I have never done it and have know idea how to do it properly.
1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 37>