Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2016 - Event Date: 20 July 2016 - 24 July 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2016 at 8:19pm
Right now, on their web site, The Red Feather Trading Post says that their "gas" is down for  major improvements. Wonder how long that is for?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 3:07pm
Bruce, there is an old (1932?) fire lookout west of Red Feather that might be a goal one day -- if not this year then some other time.  It's at the end of Deadman Hill Road (FR170), west of Red Feather.  In the red Gazetteer it's on the seam between pages 18 and 19.  There's also a 1960's updated tower that is open in the summer.  I imagine the views are nice.  I'm not sure how long a day that would be from camp. 

http://www.firelookout.org/cohost-co/deadman.html

Just more to think about. 
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 4:23pm
I think the '60s tower replaced the '30s one, and the old one is gone. We went there a few years ago. Could be an option if folks want to see it. One of the trips I planned would take us down that way. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 8:39pm
there are other places to get fuel.
48CJ2A
Tiny
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Right now, on their web site, The Red Feather Trading Post says that their "gas" is down for  major improvements. Wonder how long that is for?

I would expect that they are doing everything humanly possible to be sure that they will be fully operational by the start of "the season". And as Tiny says, they're not the only place in town.   BW

Jeff C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:29am
HI Bruce 
I am planning on being there!!!    Are there any car wash near by? 

SplitPersonality 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Jeff C Jeff C wrote:

HI Bruce 
I am planning on being there!!!    Are there any car wash near by? 

SplitPersonality 

Bring your mitten. You can park in the creek, roll up your pants legs, and knock yourself out!      BW

Jeff C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:19am
Oh NO NO NO   Fish water   NO NO    Grumpy got my jeep dirty he needs to bring clean water to wash. 
A coat of wax would be nice for,    I am sorry for getting  your Jeep dirty Jester LOL
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:54am
From the look on your face-------------you were having fun playing in the mud. Gave your Jeep a black eye that day.  Your next Jeep will be named "Mud Pie". LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:57pm
Hhhmmm, mebbe we'll fill the water barrel and hook up the propane shower in our big trailer, and you can give your jeep a hot shower at the end of the day.....

Or mebbe not.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 5:50pm
My plan is to be there Wednesday night. If I can get off a day earlier, I will. I've already burned all my vacation for the year
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 6:26pm
Just get more vacation and you'll be good to go Jpet!Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 11:29pm
We can`t cut outa here till the 23rd so it looks like we will miss the fun but plan on being in Colorado that weekend for a week plus of fun. Then returning in Sept for the fall colors tour, can`t miss that ya know!!
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 3:50am
I am planning on arriving Wednesday if all goes well. Bruce are you planning your camp stew? If so what do l need to bring?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 2:10am
I'm really starting to get excited about this event.  Can't wait to see what Bruce has in store for us.  
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 2:52am
  It seems as if most of the questions I'm hearing involve gasoline, water, and electricity.
Bring some extra gas. About 5 gallons per day should be sufficient. For those who come earlier in the week, I think we may make a gas run to Red Feather Lakes on Thursday or Friday. We can make a pretty nice trip of it, and maybe have lunch in town that day.

There is no water at the campsite, not even a creek. Bring what you're going to need for cooking, cleaning and bathing. I suppose jerry cans for water could be filled at Red Feather as well, when we go down there.

There is no electricity at the campsite, except what we may get with an afternoon thunderstorm. On that subject, make sure you bring some rain gear, jeep top, etc, as thundershowers are common there this time of year.

This is "primitive" camping (depending on your definition) to some. To me, it's what camping is all about. If I'm not sleeping on the ground with only the stars over my head, it's not primitive, to me.

Rock Stew:  The whole idea of "Rock Stew" is that everybody brings what they can spare or that they think would go good in it. Bring whatever you'd like. Normally, there is several different kinds of sausage, onions, cabbage, corn-on-the-cob, potatos and of course, beer, in it. If anyone wants to bring any of these ingredients, please let me know here that you plan to do so, so that I don't buy those things, and someone else doesn't bring the same thing. We wouldn't want to wind up with beer-potato soup!

As I've said before, I'm not a "planner". Setting a date and place is about all the planning I do. We will decide each morning what most of the folks want to see, what kind of trails they want, and I and those that have been there before, will decide where to go. I have some specific places I want you all to see, more than we probably will be able to see in the time we have, so choices will have to be made. The Forest Service has a hand in my decisions, as well. I hope they have their gates open. We will have graded county roads to drive, as well as some trails that will need 4-wheel low, and a driver able to pick a good line, but nothing that will break your jeep if its in good shape. As always at altitude this time of year, vaporlock can be a problem if your fuel delivery system is not up to snuff. If fuel delivery and cooling are marginal, you may have trouble. Our campsite is at about 8400 feet, and some of the trails will take us above 10,000 ft.

Some have said that they intend to arrive on Wednesday, the 20th, so I plan on getting there Tuesday, or maybe before. See You There!

BOOGITY!BOOGITY!BOOGITY! LETS GO JEEPIN'!!            BW

edit to correct spelling

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 3:24pm
So we are thinking Show up with a filled tank and 2 gerry cans of gas.  If we need more, we will make a trip to town?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 3:32pm
I plan to bring a 30 gallon drum of gas along with a 5-gallon gas can so I should be sufficient for fuel. I will also bring 2 55-gallon drums full of water so we should have lots of water available.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>