Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting after sitting for a few weeks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting after sitting for a few weeks
    Posted: 06 Feb. 2016 at 6:38pm
Whenever let my 2A sit for a week or more, I have to crank it over quite awhile to re-prime the fuel from the filter bowl to the carb.  Once the fuel gets up there, it starts fine. Its not a big deal, but seems like extra wear on the starter, gen and batt.  I was wondering if anyone has a method to re-prime the carb (and filter in line between pump and carb) to avoid excess cranking for this scenario.  I hate to add extra non-original stuff in the system, but thought someone might have a clever solution.

Thanks.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2016 at 7:56pm
I was thinking about fitting an MB fuel pump, with hand operated priming lever.

It would still all look quite original.

My old GMC 6x6 has this style and its great, sometimes it sits for a month and then you tickle it up and it starts no problem.

I have not had any problem with my CJ so far, the longest its sat around for would only be 4-5 days between runs.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2016 at 8:35pm
Just drive your Jeep to work every day! Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2016 at 8:44pm
What about one of those squeeze bulbs in the fuel line like used for a boat?
AbeCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 1:50am
I wish I could drive it to work every day, but my commute is 30 miles, and this time of year there is way too much salt on the roads for my liking! I plan to take it a few times this summer, although it will probably double my commute time!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 2:44am
Most likely the check valves in the fuel pump are not sealing all that well anymore. Replace the fuel pump and your problem should be solved.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 12:21pm
I agree with Joe, condition of fuel pump and carb make a lot of differance. I also keep a squeeze bottle of gas for when one has sat for a longer period. One good squirt in the carb saves a lot of cranking.
AbeCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 4:10am
I was thinking it might be fuel pump drain back, even though the pump seems to work fine.  I'll consider replacing it. Thanks for the help!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 1:13pm
If your pump has the spring plate with arms that hold the check valves in place, get a kit and re-build it. Those are worth saving. The new ones are crimped in. Throw away item. I'd also install a fuel line filter so more junk doesn't get into your cleaned pump. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply