Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accelerator Linkage Bracket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 3:28pm
While I have the engine out, I replaced the ring gear as you can see in the test fit, bought new clutch kit, starter etc..., BUT it looks like I should get the flywheel machined as long as I have it all disassembled and replace the crank bolts and nuts and flywheel bolts. Anyone know an "easy" way to replace the crank bolts?

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 3:29pm
I guess it is hard for me to say you took the easy way out. But I did remove mine and reinstall with engine in place. Removing it did give me an advantage when I immediately reinstalled it in the same session.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 3:32pm
Flywheel: at least hit it with a reciprocating sander to make sure it is smooth. I don't thing the dings and dents will matter as long as it is smooth and wont tear up the clutch surface.

But wouldn't hurt to machine it as long as you don't loose too much mass. Also could be warped from all of the prior abuse.

Edited by ralf - 01 Aug. 2016 at 3:34pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 4:09pm
Flywheel to Crank bolts...

You can do this without being too invasive, but you may mess up the rear main seal.  You need to remove the oil pan and the rear main bearing cap. Spin the crank and replace the bolts, one at a time.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 4:22pm
I tried attacking it in that manner believe me. Confused But, when the PO had the engine rebuilt or just repainted, he neglected to include the bracket, the paint it plugged everything up and I was just not able to git er done with out yanking it.  
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 4:23pm
I'll give it a try.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 5:26pm
 Always have the flywheel surfaced when replacing the clutch and pressure plate. You're asking for trouble if you don't. You're paying for a clutch kit to make it like new, why leave the job half-done?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 6:23pm
This was not one of Willys better ideas...Unhappy Mounting the bracket on the firewall to the side of the engine would have proved waaaaaaay easier to work on.

But...that is the way it was designed and it is just one of the things that we, as Jeep owners and mechanics accept as the normal way the little trucks from Toledo operate and are maintained.

My brother, while helping me work on Ol' Red one day, pointed out the lack of space between the firewall and the back of the block and suggested that I fabricate something mounted to the firewall at the side of the engine.  I accused him of heresy... he wouldn't do that to his 56 Chevy 2-door hardtop restoration...!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 7:37pm
I found a local shop that will take care of the flywheel for $36. Good deal I think. I'll drop it off this week. I also ordered all new bolts/nuts for the flywheel and crank and a new rear main seal from Walck's for when I screw that up in the process. Confused A man has got to know his limitations.
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:02pm
Just an update to my on going effort to make things right for Tow Mater. I finally had a few weekends, well partial weekends to devote to replacing a few engine bits and pieces.
The old welded up front plate was replaced with a proper one sourced from Lee (MN). Thanks Lee. A PO had taken a later model plate, cut and reversed one of the mounting brackets in order to make it fit the '46.
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:06pm
I replaced it with this.
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:09pm
I replaced the crank bolts, for the newly machined fly wheel with new ring gear.
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:10pm
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:11pm
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:12pm
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:19pm
I cleaned it all up and replaced every seal and gasket imaginable. She's all buttoned up now and waiting for the next available weekend to get her back in the engine bay.
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 8:29pm
For me, ratcheting wrenches come in handy for these things. I would take ratcheting wrench and put the bolt in the box end and tape the back side of the box so the bolt doesn't come out when you put pressure. Use the wrench to put it back there and to turn it to install
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 4:35am
50 / 50 shot at installing the bracket correctly & wouldn't you know it, got it in upside down....   Had the left fender off already, pulled both motor mounts and lowered the engine to the frame. Opened enough gap to pull the bolts and bracket. Just need to reinstall it - good time all around...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>