Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

random miss at idle and little above

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: random miss at idle and little above
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2016 at 5:12am
when idling my 48 cj2a with the L head has a occasional slight miss. i think it has an Auto lite IAD 4008 if i remember right
i believe the issue is play in the distributor between the cam plate and the distributor shaft. i had previously rebuilt the distributor about 2 years ago with 2 new shaft bushings all 3 new springs and new points cap and rotor and condenser. since i had already rebuilt it to this level i assume the play that i am still feeling by grabbing the distributor cam is from the cam and its plate instead of the rest of the distributor. i have seen where others machined the cam and plate to accept a bushing between it and the distributor shaft. but im not sure this is something i could accomplish.

i got out the timing light and tach today and did some adjusting and got it to 600 rpm at idle 20.5 inches vacuum steady needle except when the random miss happens then it flutters. test drove and it idles and drives perfectly  except for that random miss. i did my best to put it to 5 degrees btdc with timing light equipped with an advance dial on it which i had set to zero while i put engine to the 5 mark.

when i wobble the cam by hand i can watch the point gap vary quite a bit.  what are my best options? i really dont want an omix distributor. i would probably live with the miss before i installed an omix. if i adjusted the points differently either made the gap smaller or bigger whichever might that find a happy median in the gap and make the miss go away? i forgot to check dwell today but im pretty sure last time i adjusted it i think i set it 41 degrees dwell. 

any opinions?

also i have a spare distributor i pulled from an F head, do the L and F head distributors work for either motor?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2016 at 5:20am
it looks like my spare distributor that I saved from a F head is a Prestolite IAY 4401 and it seems to be in really good shape with like zero play in it. if the distributor itself wont work in my L head as a last resort does anyone know if the cam part itself is the same part as my IAD 4008 in my cj2a?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2016 at 11:43am
My guess would be your springs are not tight on the advance assembly, as they wear at the mounting points, mine was that way and did the same. I re bent the spring ends to tighten snug them up and the miss went away.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

My guess would be your springs are not tight on the advance assembly, as they wear at the mounting points, mine was that way and did the same. I re bent the spring ends to tighten snug them up and the miss went away.

Lee

Im having this exact problem.  It runs fine going down the road but at idle I have a miss.  I figure im idling at around 900 right now.  The miss seems to get worse if I go lower.  How do I check my distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply