Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Title Corrections?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Title Corrections?
    Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 12:49pm
I am in process of getting my grandfather's old CJ2A and I've discovered that the SN and year listed on the title does not match the SN listed on the data plate in the engine compartment. Where else should I look for this number?

Also, if the number on the data plate is correct how do I go about correcting the title to the correct number?

Thanks,
Brian
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 1:05pm
I'm in the same boat and it really depends on the state. I have to have cop come out to the house and read the plates to sign an affidavit. The only problem is getting them to get out here. 
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 1:22pm
You might also check the engine serial number just behind the water pump on a boss that sticks out from under the head.

Check with your local Police or DMV. There is a supposed form I can fill out and have the Police sign to get it changed in Illinois.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 3:27pm
You could bring the jeep to them too or see if a tracing or picture of the serial number will suffice, Bill
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 4:16pm
Depends on the state you live in, some are easy, some don't even issue titles prior to a certain year, and some require a Supreme Court decision or an act of Congress. No rhyme or reason to it. Sorry I can't give you any more help, just find out what hoops your particular DMV wants and start practicing your jumps, or just leave it as titled. Good luck.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 6:57pm
Check the frame tag, it might be different than the body tag.

And as Art said, possibly the engine number.  Mine had been titled by engine #.

Sean
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 7:06pm
I had a problem sort of like this.  My 46 2A is titled as a 1953.  I tried to explain to the DMV that CJ-2As weren't produced then and that the SN pointed to 1946.  I even brought in books to help my case, but to no avail.  I have to get a letter from the manufacturer in order to get the title changed.  And this, we all know is impossible since Willys-Overland doesn't exist anymore.

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 7:45pm
  The title for my '53 CJ3B showed the GVW as 10,000 lb., an obvious typo. Since Colorado uses the vehicle weight as part of the liscencing fee structure, I was paying way too much for my plates. I had to get it weighed and get a scale ticket and have an affidavit signed by the scale lady, and pay a fee (I don't recall how much) to have the title & registration changed. After all that, the registration is corrected, plates cost what they should, but the title STILL says 10,000 lb. Whadya gonna do? I dunno.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2007 at 9:24pm
Think about this...These people have a zillion people trying to pull stuff off. They want to keep their jobs. It's WAY easier to just tell you.. "that isn't correct, or I can't do that" Somehow, someway, you have to convince them. A good joke, a mention of their ear rings, recognise the family picture on their desk.. before you present your case. In other words find the right "in" or the right person to deal with.
  It's not like your trying to pull the wool, it's that you have to convince them of your sincerity.

I guess beyond the "state issue" alot has to do with how busy they are and what day you go in..AND how documented and prepared you are. Name dropping will really help here.

Edited by GaryArf - 02 Mar. 2007 at 9:46pm
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

westforkwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2007 at 10:53am
I agree with Gary, more sugar and less spice.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply