Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody using a Plastic Fuel tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudrider1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody using a Plastic Fuel tank?
    Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:18pm
I've got a plastic tank in my jeep and the fuel line comes out the top. I had to drill a hole behind the drivers seat to run the fuel line through the body. Im having problems with my fuel pump not filling the bowl when the engine is running. it has a new fuel pump with the glass top bowl. it has fuel in it but not a lot. my question is, Is that fuel pump strong enough to pull fuel from the tank or should I install an electric fuel pump. Or get a metal tank with the fuel outlet on the bottom. Im also running a new Solex Carb with a pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the carb. Another problem I have is when trying to crank it after sitting for a few months the carb dumps lots of fuel into the intake but wont start. Im thinking I may just have to buy a rebuilt Carter Carb, metal gas tank, keep using the fuel pump, and get rid of the pressure regulator. basically back to original. I thought the plastic tank and solex carb would help but it seems to be causing more problems. anybody have any ideas or running a similar setup? 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:29pm
All I can offer you is this, the current glass bowl fuel pumps never seem to fill with fuel like the older style did, I have ran one for 3 years with no fuel delivery issues here in MN, or Colorado at 14,000 + feet of elevation. Once the fuel line is bled out the pump should have no issues supplying fuel. I know nothing of Solex carbs other than they made 2 styles, one that is trouble free and the one that is nothing but trouble, I would start with a Carter if I were you.

Best of luck to you, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:32pm
My experience with the new pumps is also that they do not fill the glass bowl as full as the old ones did. You may not have a problem here. 

That being said, try this, after getting the engine running, check the fuel level in the carb. If it is OK, you do not have a fuel delivery problem. If it is low, recheck the float valve level. If it is low, reset it & retest. If it is OK, then do the below checks.  

Make sure that the clamps +/or the connections on the fuel line from the tank to the pump are tight. If they are loose, they will allow air to be sucked into the pump instead of fuel. Also be sure that the fuel lines themselves are leak free, new metal lines are best.

Plastic tanks are usually just fine. Solex carbs, not so much. One style works OK most of the time & the other can be very problematic. Fuel leaking into the intake manifold is usually caused be a bad float valve, or the fuel pump over pressuring the float valve. Check the fuel pressure to the carb with a known good gauge, NOT a harbor freight piece of crap!

Yes, I know that I should capitalize the company name, but I just can not make myself  give them that much credit. Do not get me started on their "fine" products.
Mudrider1966 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudrider1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 11:06pm
Hey,
Thanks for the info. Ive got it running now, I don't know what I did different but everything seems to be ok. the Carb spudders a little bit when I first crank it but gets better when it gets up to temp. the only problem im having now is when I press the clutch in and have the gear box in neutral I get a noise from the clutch, like the clutch isn't fully releasing. when I put it in gear with the pedal pressed the noise will stop sometimes. if it doesn't, I let off the clutch pedal until it grabs and it quits. I think I may need to lengthen my clutch cable? kinda sounds like the clutch is still trying to grab. also the clutch pedal doesn't start grabbing until its almost all the way out. any ideas would be helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply