Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Gear Lubricant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Gear Lubricant
    Posted: 30 July 2016 at 9:22pm
Two questions about my steering gear. First what gear lube goes into gear box, draining it right now looks about like # 105 lubriplate motor assy grease. Second there is a small spring steel band above the clamp that holds the column on is that the right position and what is it for?
Thanks Tony 
A.L.Fain
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 10:11pm
The W/O Mechanic's Manual says 140 weight steering gear oil. (What ever that is...)  The capacity listed is 6 ounces. Fill until the oil is at the top of the 1/8" NPT fill plug. I use 140 gear oil and have not had any problems.
I'm not sure about the spring steel band that you describe.  There is a clamp at the bottom of the steering column housing right where it connects with the gearbox.  It is held in place with a bolt and is used to secure the column housing to the gearbox. The position of the bolt doesn't matter except it is easier to get to with it on the top of the column.

Hope this helps.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 10:11pm
140wt gear oil for the steering box. Grease is not recommended.
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 1:27am
Thanks for the replies I have 140 on the shelf, the band I am talking about is right above the bolt on clamp maybe a ¼" wide does not fit all the way around the column.
A.L.Fain
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 2:37am
The 140 wt shouldn't be up near that clamp anyway, but it's a jeep so it will find a place to leak.
uncamonkey
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Paleot Paleot wrote:

Thanks for the replies I have 140 on the shelf, the band I am talking about is right above the bolt on clamp maybe a ¼" wide does not fit all the way around the column.

This isn't the location for the horn brush contact, is it? Mine has a steel sleeve welded over the hole in a location much like what you're describing.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 5:26am
No this band is below the opening for the horn ring, It is spring steel may be to cover the part of the slot in the column that the clamp does not cover
A.L.Fain
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 6:27am
 As I understand it, the band IS there to cover the end of the slot, which acts as a breather hole for the steering gear. The band is to prevent dirt from falling directly into the hole. The hole prevents excess oil from migrating up the column. That's the way I understand it.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 5:00pm
All the manuals I have for M.B./GPW, M-38, CJV-35/U list SAE 90 oil, not 140. I have 90 in my gear boxes and have no problems with leaks.
willys jeep
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 11:55pm
I put 85w140 in it, should be fine. I re soldered the horn wire back on the ring and installed the brush.Does the brush have a spring or just gravity hold it against the ring?
A.L.Fain
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 1:16am
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

All the manuals I have for M.B./GPW, M-38, CJV-35/U list SAE 90 oil, not 140. I have 90 in my gear boxes and have no problems with leaks.

True but 140 will lube as well as 90 and be less prone to leaking.
Izzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2016 at 1:41am
I found 140wt steering gear oil at TSC . 2qt plastic bottle
 Post Reply Post Reply