Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield Pivot Bracket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield Pivot Bracket
    Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 3:09am
Does anyone know what size bolt/thread count is required in the newer windshield pivot brackets?

clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 5:05am
If it's the newer reproduction ones they are metric. I don't remember the pitch but I only discovered it when I got new bolts and tried to use them in my original mounts. Had to get a new set of reproduction mounts to go with the bolts.
74bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:04am
does anyone else have any feedback?  being metric is helpful but looking for a little more information.  
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:27am
3/8-24 NF is what it should be. I have some new ones if you're in need. $15 for two ships to you.
74bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:48am
I should be able to pick this up from a local hardware store, right?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:00am
If you are talking about the actual pivot bolt then no.....it's a special shouldered bolt to match the much bigger hole in the windshield frame. That hole is 5/8" and the threads are 3/8".

Just Google  jeep windshield pivot bolts and you'll see what they look like.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:05am
A part like that is an easy find in any hardware store. Go to a real hardware store, a place that has those old funny things called drawers. Box places only have pre packed containers with the wrong number of what you need in them.

uncamonkey
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:07am
You are right. There is a special bolt for the pivot bolt.
uncamonkey
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:33pm
If you are using a cap bolt and not the one with the flats on the head to remove by hand you could use a 3/8 X 24 bolt with a spacer in place of the shoulder.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:48pm
Here you go...

Aftermarket ones don't have the little washerlike lip...(I like this design) but you  get the idea.
I just bought a pair or stainless ones from Kaiser Willys last week for $30.

Edit.... Oddly enough I found this by typing in windshield pivot in the advanced search feature.Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:50pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
74bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2016 at 10:03pm
What size bolt do you think it is if it's for the military version?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2016 at 10:14pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply