Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake light switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake light switch
    Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 1:35am
I have no brake lights on the 48 cj2a 6v. Has only 1 brake light and 1 reflector but it doesn't light up. I have a in line pressure switch with 2 wires. I removed and crossed the 2 wires and the brake light came on.

I believe this means the switch either is bad or has an air pocket. I have good pedal feel and braking power using factory 9 inch drums

My brake switch is pointing wire terminals straight up which I would think might trap a in air bubble. Is there a CORRECT way or direction that these switches should be facing? I have a dual MC from R&P
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 1:50am
Doesn't matter which side the hot wire is on. The switch is just an open or closed switch. "Lights come on when crossed" is hard for me to figure, unless there is some sort of one sided short inside the switch.

It's just a hot wire to one side. Brake pressure closes the switch then power comes out the other side regardless of what side the hot is attached to.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 2:16am
As long as your brakes work, you don't worry about an air bubble. The pressure is in the system.
It does sound like you have a bad switch. If you are fairly swift you can change it without having to bleed the brake system.
If I remember, there are 3 types of wiring connections so buy the right part or be ready to change some wiring.
uncamonkey
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 4:00am
Yup you guys were right. It was a bad brake switch. Went to oReilly and bought the better quality brake switch they had. A born warner.

Bought and installed the switch super fast and didn't even have to bleed the brakes.

To bad as usual the parts people aren't very good or helpful. They brought up the part by vehicle which ended up being one with female terminals but my jeep is wired for male terminals. So I said I want that, but I want it to have male terminals. Well that's were it started, she stared at the computer for like 5 minutes literally didn't do anything or type anything. Just a vacant look on her face.

On comes Google is your friend. I pulled the cell and searched it popped right up. So I told her to get me part s194 and she got it quickly. But yet again I find I do more of their job than they do. My fault for having an almost 70 year old jeep. It's funny though its all good
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 5:21am
You meant Borg Warner right?

Yes, I also find that I have to do the job of finding the part numbers for the young "parts Sales folks" almost every time I go to NAPA.

We used to have a grumpy old fart there that would not even look it up about half the time, he would just go get the part off of the shelf. The part was always the correct one & worked well. Five years ago, after his wife died of old age at 82, he decided to retire himself. He was 88 when he retired. I miss him a lot.

While he was grumpy, he was also very good at his job & very knowledgeable about all things automotive. He could help you diagnose what the problem was that you were having with your car. He would ask about five questions, think for a bit & give you two or three things to check. IME, it was usually the first thing on his list.
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 5:27am
Yup Borg Warner, darn auto correct
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 7:25am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

You meant Borg Warner right?

Yes, I also find that I have to do the job of finding the part numbers for the young "parts Sales folks" almost every time I go to NAPA.

We used to have a grumpy old fart there that would not even look it up about half the time, he would just go get the part off of the shelf. The part was always the correct one & worked well. Five years ago, after his wife died of old age at 82, he decided to retire himself. He was 88 when he retired. I miss him a lot.

While he was grumpy, he was also very good at his job & very knowledgeable about all things automotive. He could help you diagnose what the problem was that you were having with your car. He would ask about five questions, think for a bit & give you two or three things to check. IME, it was usually the first thing on his list.
I'm a grumpy old phart that goes in for parts. I only go to some of the chain stores for the easy stuff.
If I really want to find something odd I go to a place that has been around for nearly 100 years.
Some know me and as I walk in they will start diving for the books under the counter. "Willys or Buick"?
A few of the new counter people will try to do the computer bit and I am patient and finally direct them to the books.
Years back I went up to a farm and ranch store for new spark plugs for my '51 Chevy. Tony just walked to the back and came back with the right plugs. He knew.
uncamonkey
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 3:26pm
Catalogs are expensive to compile and print with each update, so when computers became available there was a rush by manufacturers to jump on the computer bandwagon. The database software that was used for earlier computer catalogs was limited in what it could do because of limited computing power. As a result, many manufacturers dropped listings for older models even though they still built parts for the older models. The parts stores were supposed to retain the old printed catalogs for future reference, but many didn't. The new help in parts stores never learned how to use a catalog, so the "art" of actually looking something up was lost in just a few years.

Now, if the computer software doesn't list the application, the help is clueless as to what will work in an application.

I was a partner in a NAPA store from 1973 to 1995 and I saw computers as a timesaver, but I never actually abandoned my old catalogs either. I taught my newer employees how to look parts up using the computer as well as the old catalogs. While the computer does a reasonable job of getting recent applications right, they are rather spotty on older listings.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply