Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 link a stock 2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 link a stock 2a
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 12:08pm
Anyone 4 link a stock 2a? Wanted to keep stock frame and axles. Any info would be great
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 1:05am
I've tossed this around for years. Having done a few 4 links in over vehicles, I see a couple complications. 

Building the 4-link around a stock frame isn't that hard. I think the major hurdle is the springs and or coil overs you'd end up using. The stock axles are so narrow that packaging is your biggest issue. Steering would need to be updated to a Saginaw type box I would think. I don't think you'd have much choice to modify the rear wheelwells/tubs would need to be modified for shocks. 

I believe it still could be done. My choice would be 2 inch coilover in a 10 inch travel size. I think you just might be able to fit that with a narrow axle.  

I would lean towards a 3-link with a panhard in the front. Or even a radius arm type with a panhard. I think packaging that would be easier considering the engine plate may claim the room you need for your upper link(s).
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Apdodge69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 4:18pm
How is the 3 link for on road drivability? I would also like to keep at current height.
What I'm looking for is a stock 2a with a softer ride and more articulation.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 4:33pm
Check out jpet's custom springs that he had build for Bam Bam. 

He starts on about page 43 of his Bam Bam Build thread to discuss the springs.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Apdodge69 Apdodge69 wrote:

How is the 3 link for on road drivability? I would also like to keep at current height.
What I'm looking for is a stock 2a with a softer ride and more articulation.

You have to pay attention to some geometry basics. But a 3-link is just fine on the street when done right.

But as posted, if you are looking for a smoother ride and some articulation - leaf springs are way easier. I would check out jpet's build as well. Lots of great tech with the results you are looking for. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Apdodge69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:27am
I am not familiar with Jpets post, give me link
Apdodge69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apdodge69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:30am
What a good group, I am new to a forum and what a good experience. There has been a lot of knowledge helping out with my ideas
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 4:36am
I can't give you the jpet link, I don't know what it is (search function grasshopper) but from an old phart, welcome here.
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:06am
Stan gave one of the links a few posts up.  ∆
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:36am
Hi Aaron,

Here is a link that takes you directly to my springs:

http://thecj2apage.com/forums/building-a-universal-modified_topic28473_post346910.html#346910

...... I'm not saying they are as flexible as a link suspension. You can judge by the pics. I have been told by people who have driven BAM BAM that he is way more flexible than stock.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:45pm
Here's a great little article from JP magazine about leaf springs vs. multi link suspension systems. 

My personal opinion is that leaf spring suspension tends to be far more dependable during expedition type useage and far easier to repair in the field. 
I believe that factor had a big influence during the 1940 military LRV inception.
Of course the LRV became and  in fact it was.... the progenitor of the JEEP.

I personally lean 100% toward leaf spring suspension on the early jeeps. 
But then I prefer to set my jeeps up for extreme remote expedition capability.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:53pm
just be careful.....

once you head down that link road, things get out of control quick. ask me how i know.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
dzrtvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dzrtvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 12:39am
Hey there,
I stumbled across an old thread with a pic you posted in 2016 of a linked 2A. Is it yours, if so would you mind sharing some pics of your link set up? I’m headed down that road now with a fresh frame and new diffs, ready to go. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 5:29am
Originally posted by dzrtvet dzrtvet wrote:

Hey there,
I stumbled across an old thread with a pic you posted in 2016 of a linked 2A. Is it yours, if so would you mind sharing some pics of your link set up? I’m headed down that road now with a fresh frame and new diffs, ready to go. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

The pic above? Yep - that's mine. 

I did a build thread on Pirate. It may be easier for you to skim through that. There's quite a few pics there. After you've done that, if you have any questions - I'm glad to help. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply