Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New CJ2A owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CJ2A owner
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 5:39pm
Hi all! Just found a 1946 CJ2A with 39,000 miles on it fairly local. I made a deal and dragged it home in a freezing rain storm... lol It's the first jeep I've ever owned!

The skinny is; it runs, its still very original (besides the seats).   It is still 6 volt and the body is great besides a small amount of rust in the tool box.

My plan is to convert it to 12V with a modern alt, get cj2a re-pop seats, replace the points and ignition components. Rebuild the tranny/t-case and axles with new seals and bearings, throw on some 7.00/16 NDT tires and possibly paint it olive drab with invasion stars.   :) I've always wanted a MB but this is as close as I will get.

I plan to use it as a summer run about, and a dirt-road/mild wheeler and camper.   

I have a few other older vehicles in the works as well so you can see I manage my way around the shop pretty good;
1957 Napco GMC 350 (lots of work needed)

1971 Chevy K10 shortbox 4x4

1988 S10 buggy
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 6:32pm
Phil,
Welcome to the page.
I love your CJ2A! I think it is beautiful just the way it sits!

Also love your 57 Chevy. I have a 59, not 4wd though.

I am a totally believer in "it's your rig so do what you want," but.....
I'll just say this once and never mention it again. It took almost 70 years to get that jeep to look that way. You can't fake that.  Anyone can put some OD paint and stars on anything and they still aren't the real thing.

Right now you have the real thing. Put some NDT tires on it and go for a rip (see video). 
But if you decide to go the other way, I will still love your jeep and follow with interest whatever you do with it.

Here's my truck.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:12pm
2X on love the patina. Enjoy which ever path you follow Smile
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:15pm
3x on the patina.... people spend thousands trying to "faux" that look... and I too will never speak of it again, lol

(and welcome to the page! Wink)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Phil,

Welcome to the page from the South Pacific, the Jeep looks great and I totally agree with smfulle about what you have and the directions you can head.

To note:

An early CJ is much rarer in original form than an MB or GPW...they never made as many!

There's nothing wrong with 6 volt.

They are a heap of fun to drive and the 600-16s NDTs would surprise you as to what they can do and places they can go....

Your Jeep is special in its own way and has a history as a CJ......

Mines stock and I like telling people its a CJ (Civilian Jeep), its built better than a WW2 model because the known faults were corrected when your one was designed and built.

Anyway.....most important, enjoy it

Adrian

Welcome to the page.
I love your CJ2A! I think it is beautiful just the way it sits!

Also love your 57 Chevy. I have a 59, not 4wd though.

I am a totally believer in "it's your rig so do what you want," but.....
I'll just say this once and never mention it again. It took almost 70 years to get that jeep to look that way. You can't fake that.  Anyone can put some OD paint and stars on anything and they still aren't the real thing.

Right now you have the real thing. Put some NDT tires on it and go for a rip (see video). 
But if you decide to go the other way, I will still love your jeep and follow with interest whatever you do with it.

Here's my truck.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 12:00pm
I have a 6 volt 1946 CJ-2A and it always starts and runs very well.  I see no benefit to converting to 12 volt.  It is just an added expense that could be better spent elsewhere.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Phill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 6:21pm
LOL :P The whole back quarter has been painted primer red with a paint brush.... about 10 years ago.   Soooo not the 'patina' I care to keep. haha   the metal underneath is all good so I assume somebody started a "paint job".

The window frame has been brushed yellow, brush strokes and peeling paint and all....

I totally respect the old patina look, but this jeep is past that point and just looks like its been shoddily worked on. I will fix that.

I plan to run a ultra lightweight multi mount winch I have for when I go hunting/camping with it, so 12V is a must.   Plus the 6v system in it is shot so it will be cheaper to convert regardless.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 6:54pm
As I have said a few times, It's your Jeep to do with as you deem correct.
It looks like it is in good shape. I had an MB with about 5 coats of paint on it so it went back down to the metal. I never could find the military numbers on it.
Those Napco trucks are great ol' beasts.
uncamonkey
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

As I have said a few times, It's your Jeep to do with as you deem correct.
It looks like it is in good shape. I had an MB with about 5 coats of paint on it so it went back down to the metal. I never could find the military numbers on it.
Those Napco trucks are great ol' beasts.

Oh, welcome to the forum I think you already have the madness we share.
uncamonkey
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 10:32pm
Drive it  don't dismantle it and lose interest in a build. they are way more fun to drive than sand on. Patina is your friend

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 11:34pm
I'd like to welcome a fellow Albertan to the fold here...
Your rig has the right "look" for sure! With all of the collector car auctions looking for "barn finds" and all of the patina that goes with it :-)
You found the right place to get all sorts of information you might need at some point and many people here will be more than happy to share with you. I was just down Calgary way just last week - I would have like to have a look at your new find :-)
Jeeper50 has it right.....drive it - is much better than sanding it! Once I found a good rust converter like Loctite's EXTEND Rust Treatment - it gave me close to ten years breathing room before rust even started coming thru again.
And - I had major surface rust in the tool box just like you. Anywhere there was rust I applied it and while it turned the surface black - I found that better than rust.
Just have fun
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
 Post Reply Post Reply