Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serial # does not Match Title

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Growth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial # does not Match Title
    Posted: 29 Oct. 2016 at 5:16pm
My brother bought a 1947 CJ2A  in 1969 while in High School from a teacher who had owned it for an extended period and was titled in California at that time, he then retitled it in his name. In 1979 ownership was transferred to my dad who had retired and titled it in Idaho. We used for the next 20+ years in hunting camp and around his cabin unfortunately it slowly fell into disrepair.
 After my father passed away my brother resumed ownership a few years ago. Here is where it became a cluster. When he went to title it in another Northwest state it was discovered that the serial number on the title was not even close to what is on the two plates on the firewall and frame rail, (they all match) CJ2A 153*** which would make it a 1948.  The serial # on the title does not even come close,  BRM106*** however it is listed as a  Willys 1947 CJ2A. My brother got tired of messing with it and recently gave it my son. I have been around this Jeep for nearly 50 years and would love to see it back on the road, just not sure how I might get the titled strait.

It is the White one next to my CJ2A

1947 CJ2A #142084
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2016 at 5:32pm
Good looking Jeeps.  Could you get a Sheriff's title or an abandoned vehicle title?  Not bringing up that you have a title that dose not match the vin. numbers on the Jeep .  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2016 at 5:37pm
Did you check to see if the title #s match any #s on the eng?
Old Growth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Growth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2016 at 6:54pm
When my brother bought it and until the mid 1980's it had a Chevy 283 in it, my dad later replaced it with a L134 he found somewhere.
1947 CJ2A #142084
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 1:00am
It looks to me like your "vin" number was from the L134 that may have been in the jeep before the Chevy was put in. Those numbers strike me as some kind of replacement engine numbering system...for some reason an M-38 engine rebuild facility number. IDK. Anywho, the DMV won't care since they deal in VIN numbers and get all choked up on vintage vehicles that don't have vins. IF, however, you want the new title to reflect your true serial number you will have to deal with your states regulations regarding such issues.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 7:57pm
Way back in the early 1970's my dad had a similar serial number problem in the people's republic of CA. He finally went and got some metal punches and stamped a new number (which matched the title) in the frame that satisfied all concerned.  This could be done to the engine as well.

Dan S
 Post Reply Post Reply