Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys speed
    Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 4:54pm
So I am feeling a bit ornery thins morning and a comment in another thread got me thinking (again)

And I have a question for the "Fast Tractor" crowd (those people that think a Willys jeep can or should only travel at 40-45 mph)

What is it about our Willys that causes them to only be able to travel at such slow speeds? Because the exact same engine (granted with 1/2 point higher compression ratio and maybe a different carb) when put into a Kaiser or Allstate  family car would have been expected to keep up with traffic in a world full of V8 chevys and fords.

Is it the low rear end gears? Cause once in high gear both the Willys and the Autos are a straight through drive. And if its the low rear end gears then without a doubt the Overdrive units we put in our Jeeps should come very close to making it all up.

Now I do not know what a Kaiser or an Allstate had a final drive ratio but I do know what my 218 L head powered 1940 Dodge coupe had and it was a set of 3.90's That car had absolutely no problem with the stock drive train 218 L (which by the way has the same 4.375" stroke as a 134L just two more holes with pistons) doing 65 mph down the hwy. My girl friend and I at the time took that car on a number of LONG rod runs and trips some over 500 miles in a single day.

5.38's with a 25% od will turn the engine at the same rpm as if the Jeep had a 4.05 final drive.

66 mph at 3000 rpm

Is it because so many of the people commenting on the speed ability of our jeeps are running engines on the edge of collapse? Or is it something simple like improperly adjusted carb linkage and the throttle butterfly is not opening all the way? Or is it that coming from a nice enclosed modern automobile the sounds and the wind from an open 70 year old vehicle freaks them out?

In high school I drove my Willys 60+ mph all over the place for 3 years. We drove it to work every morning in the summer with 3-4 guys in it 15 miles one way most the time racing one of the other cars headed to the christmas tree farm we worked at. I drove it on 1000 mile 3 day week hunting and adventuring trips to Eastern Oregon.

I just don't get it why so many people say Willys Jeep can't do the speeds they can.

There I told you I was feeling ornery this morning.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 5:08pm
I quickly did a search and what I saw were cars that had longer wheel bases, lower center of gravity  and possibly wider too. They are more aerodynamic the Jeeps also. Weight wise I don't know. Gear ratios is probably more friendly then 5.38's

Just my thoughts
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 6:05pm
Likely because a catastrophic failure at higher speeds would result in death.  These aren't modern vehicles with reinforced passenger areas, crumple zones, seat belts, etc.

Hell, we sit on the gas tank :)

That said I feel fine at 55mph, and I've maintained the driveline to get me to that point.  I also have 4.88's and 235/75R15's. 
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 6:44pm
My thoughts and take it with a grain of salt....they are a small capacity long stroke motor and were designed more for low rpm, bottom end of the rev range work.

What they will do and what they are comfortable at is too different things.

The low gearing suits the work they were designed to do, certainly higher gearing, overdrives etc will get you more speed but with only 60HP on tap you are going to be changing gears a lot if you have hills, strong head winds etc.

At the other end of the scale in 1996 I brought a new TJ, 4.0litre motor, 3.07 ratio diffs and a five speed box, its was geared for economy and was really over geared, the slightest hill meant you were always changing down to 4th to keep it moving.

The likes of Jpets V6 set up with 5spd box, higher ration diffs etc gives you power and speed.

The open road speed limits are higher now than 70 years ago when the Jeeps were built, here its 100kmph, our roads are bad, with a stock Jeep I am always letting faster traffic pass.

Having done a long trip as mentioned in another post a stock early CJ is great fun to drive, its just not fast.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 7:50pm
Not going to debate the numbers or math or your experience. I just know from my personal experience and most of those that I ride with, 45 or 50 is the comfort zone or sweet spot. By comfort zone I don't just mean mine, I am talking engine RPM's, handling, braking just the overall driving experience. I have had mine to 65 going down hill but won't do it on a regular basis. With normal highway driving here in flat land Illinois I am lucky to get it to 50 consistently, between stop lights, traffic and the occasional hills it just doesn't happen. Mine is a stock 3A with overdrive and no lock outs in the front. And as others have said if I wanted to go faster I would be driving my every day vehicle. Just my two cents.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 8:00pm
Agreed, horses for courses!. If I want to do a long trip quickly I use my MB......sorry not a Jeep, its German, funny enough its also a 2.2litre, but twin Turbo Diesel does about 150Mph, gets 55mpg and eats up the miles.

Its actually quite boring to drive, nothing rattles, never needs fuel, can do over 1000km on a tank.

Now the Jeep is much more interesting, loves Gas stations, takes twice as long to go the same distance, the dog loves riding in the back, can't say the same for my kids! Smile factor the CJ wins hands down
1973 Saab 96
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 8:35pm
Henry J was 100" wheelbase
Willys Aero had  108" wheelbase
Both were geared 4:10

Both more aerodynamic and lower center of gravity.
Both had more steel around the passengers contributing to security factors.

Lower overall highway speeds and no interstate systems and related sustained speeds.

Jeeps had tractor like amenities and gear ratios.

Seems a no brainier to me but who am I tell tell others how to drive. Stern Smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 9:01pm
If you read the fine history of early civilian jeep production, "Preproduction Civilian Jeeps" by Frederic Caldwell, you would find that the CJ series was envisioned by Willys-Overland as an agricultural vehicle that could be employed on the farm or ranch as a substitute for a tractor. Hence the 5.38 gearing and options for PTO's and winches. It could also be used to haul or tow goods from farm to market or market to farm. Most farming operations in the mid-forties were very small family operations and Willys felt that one vehicle could be marketed to serve both farming operations much like a tractor, as well as a vehicle to make occasional trips to town.

If you examine the design, there is nothing fancy about the CJ-2A outside of the chrome trim rings around the headlights, and even these were initially painted. The 2A was a strictly utilitarian vehicle that was built for off-road use and some highway driving.

As owners and drivers of 2A's we make a lot of concessions to the modern driving experience. Speed is limited. The seating is cramped. If not equipped with a top, you are at the mercy of the elements. By the simple act of driving a 2A, you are sacrificing some safety, as there is little room for error in an accident situation. The brakes are marginal and in need of adjustment on a regular basis. Mechanically, the little truck needs regular attention to keep it in tune. It has its own particular noises it makes during operation, some of them almost a trademark...the horn, the fan noise at high rpm, the four cylinder exhaust sound, the squeal of the brakes...it is not a quiet ride by any stretch of the imagination.

All of these attributes are collected into one little truck that we as flatfender drivers would for the most part not trade for anything. Later model Jeeps do have many creature comforts and will drive at highway speeds, but simply do not have the cachet and soul that a 2A has. Who really gives much of a glance at a TJ? On the other hand, driving a 2A anywhere involves waves, loads of questions from the public, and requests for pictures and even rides.

The 2A today may not be serving the purpose that Willys-Overland originally envisioned, but it is now an American classic in the truest sense. Whether your 2A is concours-de-elegance quality or a true off-road trooper with loads of patina, it had its beginnings as a agricultural vehicle. It was never designed to go down the road at 65-70 mph, even with all of the aftermarket overdrives and other gee-gaws that have been invented and sold though the years.

Each to his own, but Ol' Red knows where she belongs...exploring back roads and terrain in Kansas and if I need to get her to Colorado for some off-roading there, she knows it will be by trailer to get her there and back home to Kansas...and the old gal knows and appreciates that fact...after all she is for the most part 70 years old.   

Just my $.02 and keep on Jeepin'   

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 03 Dec. 2016 at 9:04pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 10:02pm
Per the original question, yes it is the gearing and engine design that limits the speeds. The body shape doesn't help
You can and I have put other motors in Jeeps, still with 5:38 gears and an OD.
I don't know how fast the MB would go with the 198 V6 in it, It ran out of speedometer a few times. (heck,I was around 20 YO then and so, stupid). By the time the thing was finished it was running all 2A gear.
The 3B and Commando will do over 85 MPH but I putt along at 50 to 55 MPH. I'm in no hurry.
No idea what the '51 Jeep my brother had would do with the race prepped SBC in it. I never had the huevos to find that out.
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 11:04pm
Consider that Willys Overland is the sole and the final authority on such matters.
It is clearly printed upon the dashboard placard.

MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE SPEED is 60 MPH !Clap
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 11:19pm
Only if your being shot at
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Consider that Willys Overland is the sole and the final authority on such matters.
It is clearly printed upon the dashboard placard.

MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE SPEED is 60 MPH !Clap

Seems odd that the max speed for a WW2 Jeep with 4.88 axle ratios is the same for a CJ with the lower 5.38 axles......really the dash plate should have been changed for the civilian models??

1973 Saab 96
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 1:47am
My May 45 GPW with original plates say's Max speed is 65MPH in high as was the case will all MB/GPW jeeps. Every speed on the plate is higher owing to the 4:88 gear ratio.
willys jeep
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 2:04am
A 39 Ford pickup is a NASCAR compared to the jeep. It's not hard to understand the jeep wasn't meant for interstate driving. I think the new jeep wrangler driving 75 mph on the highway is crazy when you look at the golf cart wheel base. Just a three speed 5.38 gear, that sounds like an 1/8 th mile drag car now.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 2:33am
The gearing and the relatively low maximum engine RPM's are what limits the speed.  As was stated, way back when these baby's were built, they were designed for off-road and farming stuff and the manufacturer never intended them to be "Freeway" rides (I assume) as there were other vehicles manufactured for that purpose.

My '46 CJ2A with an F-Head engine is comfortable (for me) at about 40-45.  Anything over that and it sounds like the pistons are fixin' to swap holes or just plain old come unglued.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 2:46am
LOL I knew this would be fun. No one said anything about driving a Willys 70 mph. What I wanted to know is what is it that makes so many people think it can or should only go 40 mph (which by the way you can do on a bicycle if your in good shape) A Willys Jeep is safer then a motorcycle when in a wreck. And yet those scream down the hiway all the time.

A comment was made earlier about the speed limits were lower back in the day BULL the road in front of our house in 1960 was posted 70 mph it was almost 1/3 narrower and had no real shoulders compared to what it is now. 1975 the posted speed limit was changed to 55 to save fuel, no other reason. Until 1975 the speed limit on the freeway here was also 70 mph dropped to 55 and then later raised to 65 car and 55 trucks.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to drive faster. I'm just trying to find out why some drive so slow or infer that its not possible to drive faster then they do.

Edited by Mark W. - 04 Dec. 2016 at 6:23am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 3:00am
I had a friend in high school who took a original 27,000 mile '48 CJ2A and put in a Hypo Ford 289. He also converted his differentials to Studebaker but kept the Willys axle housings. Then Warn overdrive. Ford wire wheels with the centers opened up. He drag raced it and found off the line in 4 wheel drive he could beat alot of the local boys with it. It tached out on the 289 at 110 MPH. He drove this Jeep from SD to  California  several times until he went to sleep at the wheel. He'd drive it all the way through.  Not a good idea. Ayway, when the Jeep left the highway, he flew 150 feet over a creek and upon landing on the other side, awoke, grabbed the steering wheel and bent it over until it touched the hood. Totaled the Jeep and walked away from it. The Highway patrolman said he never saw anyone live through a wreck like that. My friend was the heavyweight state wrestling champion that year. Strongest man I have ever known. Man could that thing haul. Glad I didn't go for a ride with him. LOL He said the stock steering was so good he could drive it one handed at 110, smooth as silk.  No death wobble obviously. Shocked So, They will do 110 with the right equipment and a nut behind the wheel. Me, I'll ejoy 45 without OD, 55 with.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

.   I'm just trying to find out why some drive so slow or infer that its not possible to drive faster then they do.

Because given the characteristics of the vehicle in question most people would say it was safer.....something we don't normally consider in our high school years.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>