Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inauguration Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inauguration Day
    Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 3:56pm
I believe that one of the most amazing things in the history of the world is happening today, as it has many times in the last 200 plus years. The leader of the most powerful and influential nation in the world will hand the reins of power over to another man that he doesn't agree with and probably doesn't like and then will walk away without warfare or bloodshed.

This is one of the things that makes me proud to be an American. We can, and do, fight each other with words and emotions for what we believe in, but when the fight is over, no one is dead and no armies are lining up against each other to make sure the change sticks.

Sure, this time there seems to be more than the usual whining and crying, but in the end it's handshakes and "good luck" without a shot fired. That is happening in other countries now to some extent, but we invented it. Hurrah for us!!

Apologies to our foreign friends for the chest thumping, but not for being proud of it.

Edited by smfulle - 20 Jan. 2017 at 6:17pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 5:27pm
Thanks Stan.  I agree with you.  Emoticons
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 6:04pm
Well said Stan.

I wish everyone in this country had a historical understanding of how singularly unique we are as a country.  Regardless of your politics, we should all stand proud today.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 7:21pm
The rest of the world is watching........
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 8:38pm
I read this today and thought it was cool...

Commonplace and miraculous. That's how the inaugural ceremony struck President Reagan in 1981. "The orderly transfer of authority as called for in the Constitution routinely takes place, as it has for almost two centuries, and few of us stop to think how unique we really are," he said in his address. "In the eyes of many in the world, this every-four-year ceremony we accept as normal is nothing less than a miracle."
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 9:12pm
Mark,
That quote from President Reagan really sums up my feelings about it. I'm a bit of a history buff and the fact that we can have this transfer of power peacefully really is a miracle.   
Thanks!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 3:31am
K
eeping my fingers crossed. Draining the swamp and filling the bog.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 4:56am
Smfulle, still think the losing side is being gracious like 2012, or 2008?
Chop chop
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by bosshoff bosshoff wrote:

The left is acting like the left... spoiled kids.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 6:44am
Originally posted by bosshoff bosshoff wrote:

My post was about our great country that can have a complete change of power without an actual war. That never happenened in the history of the world until our constitution made it a regular occurrence every four to eight years.

Because some people are still feeling bad, and other people keep pointing out how silly that is, does not make the whole thing any less miraculous.

Not really interested in commenting on who is a snowflake, or who is the most guilty of hyperbole. At least not on this forum.

No tanks rolled out, no cannons fired, no young men (or women) were sent out to die because someone thought they were more entitled to rule than the other guy. We can shout at each other all day. Maybe even break a window or two, but that is nothing compared to the War of the Roses, or the Russian Revolution, or the Chinese Cuktural Revolution, or Kristallnacht.

In our country you can cry and complain as much as you want. And you can ridicule those that do as much as you want. I don't always like what I heard from either side but I put my twenty years in to make sure that they could have their say without getting shot, even if I don't like what they are saying.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 7:46am
Well said Stan.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 8:06am
Clap Like Roc said, well said Stan.
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 9:54am
"My post was about our great country that can have a complete change of power without an actual war. That never happened in the history of the world until our constitution made it a regular occurrence every four to eight years."

Hey Stan - can't let that statement go without comment. Here in the UK we've had an electoral system in place since 1432. 

True - there has been some window breaking, and even some full-on conflict at times - but we haven't had any real trouble since 1775-83 I understand (not sure what that one was about though - must go and wiki it).

LOL
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Vince Vince wrote:

"<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">My post was about our great country that can have a complete change of power without an actual war. That never happened in the history of the world until our constitution made it a regular occurrence every four to eight years."</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Hey Stan - can't let that statement go without comment. Here in the UK we've had an electoral system in place since 1432. </span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">True - there has been some window breaking, and even some full-on conflict at times - but we haven't had any real trouble since 1775-83 I understand (not sure what that one was about though - must go and wiki it).</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">LOL
</span>

I really hate political arguments as well as religious ones because neither side really knows what they are talking about.
A best memory is a friend that was somewhat hungover sitting on our front porch when the bible thumpers showed up to tell us everything we needed to know. Gerry sat and talked to them and was nice and corrected them as to their quotes from the bible. His father was the head Methodist minister for the 3 state region. We asked him if he wanted a beer "Sure, you boys want one"?
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply