Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balance tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Ever wonder what the yellow or orange oval stickers on the sidewalls of the tires on new cars delivered to the dealers were ?

Noop LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 4:03pm
http://www.gtradialtrucktires.com/en/_pdf/resources/technical/TechBulletin-Vibration-2012.pdf

I googled Joe Fridays comment and came up with this pdf, very interesting read, but I will have to read several times to grasp it totally. I just remember at the service station, for passenger tires, they told us to mount tires with the yellow outlined circle on the sidewall, next to the valve stem. Thanks Joe Friday for your tire insights. I seem to recall you were involved in the tire industry.

Edited by russnj - 30 Mar. 2017 at 4:35pm
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 4:10pm
Link goes to GT Radial home page, then go to resources, then Tech. bulletins, then Vibrations.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 4:35pm
Link fixed. Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 4:40pm
Willard,
Thanks for the link.
Pictures  and descriptions there were very helpful in enlightening me to what is actually being discussed here.

I wonder when these marks and such started being put on new tires. I changed a lot of tires back at the Chevron station in 1976-77 but I don't recall every seeing anything like that. 

I also had no idea that marks can be found on wheels as well.  

Learning stuff is fun. Learning useful stuff is extra fun!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 6:58pm
Almost wish I hadn't brought it up.

The GT information is GITI tire. It loses a little in the translation from Chinese, and some is just plain wrong the way they described it. (example, steel wheels are not forged, wheel low points may be marked by dimples, letters, numbers, symbols, ink, or paint, depending on supplier.)

Yes, I work with people that are pretty knowledgeable about vehicles and tires.

Stan - the marks were introduced around 1978 I think.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:23pm
I won't use the info as 100% correct, but it did get me doing more research on tires. The internet is full of info on "Tire Uniformity", perhaps you know of a good site to go to.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

[DIVStan - the marks were introduced around 1978 I think.

Well there ya go. My gas station career ended in 1977. Then it was a two year religious adventure in Hong Kong and forward never to return to the more-complicated-than-I-knew world of rubber harmonics, except to make sure the tire shop balances my new tires when they mount them.

Thanks for giving "the facts" and I still think that the old school balancer that Gil originally posted here is super cool!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 9:23pm
Yes, Gil's balancer is fantastic. Wish I had one...
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 12:24am
Thanks guys for the comments on my old balancing machine,it's fun to use a machine that is older than my cj2a and me.    

Giles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12