Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ground Straps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ground Straps
    Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:08pm
I just double checked, It is grounded from the firewall down low to the top bolt on the starter.  There are different lenghts of head bolts on the head but no ground strap on it.  Head bolt #10.  My 48 had 2 generators 2 amp meters 2 pull switches so he could have 6 volt or 12 volt by putting the batteries in series. 
Ed
cj2a lefty
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Maybe P O over grounded.
Can't hurt!  Look at all he ground straps an MB used!

I've just never seen one there on a 2A, and all the parts lists call for only the other 2.

Sean
When the MBs used a ground strap from the firewall to the cylinder head, there was a longer stud installed in the engine block to accomidate the extra thickness of the ground strap and washers for the ground strap. 
My CJ-2A parts books only show one length of head studs offered for the 2As, so this may be further evidence that the firewall to hed groundstrap was not used on the CJs.

Daniel
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Maybe P O over grounded.
Can't hurt!  Look at all he ground straps an MB used!

I've just never seen one there on a 2A, and all the parts lists call for only the other 2.

Sean
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:16pm
Mlne had one about 1/2 inch wide 4 to 5 inches long.   Maybe P O over grounded.  I am 2nd owner.
Ed
cj2a lefty
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:45am
Ed:
Quote Ground strap ... From firewall to engine
I don't think CJ2A used one there.

Sean
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2007 at 7:21pm
Ground strap goes from battery to the frame by radiator. From firewall to engine, from frame to engine under the right motor mount.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Turtleherder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtleherder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2007 at 6:03am
MB's and GPW's had a strap that attached to the firewall and to the head of the motor. I've done the same on my '46. I'm considering installing a strap for the fuel tank as well. Mine too, is a 6V.

Edited by Turtleherder - 30 Apr. 2007 at 6:03am
JohnnyBoy04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyBoy04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2007 at 1:59am
Im wondering where my cj2a should have ground straps.  The ground from the battery goes to the bolt that mounts the front of the starter.  I also have a ground strap that goes from the engine block to the frame.  Am I missing any grounds?

Its's 6volt
 Post Reply Post Reply