Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame Paint
    Posted: 19 July 2007 at 4:20pm

Well, today I made a monumental decision.  I dropped my frame off at Alaska Powder Coating to be blasted in prep for an Eastwood coating process and decided, after seeing examples of their work, to go ahead and have them powder coat it.  A spendy decision, but it will save me much time and hassle and it will look fantastic!  I'm not really set up to do any serious painting, and our Alaska winter is fast approaching (yes, it's true!) so I made the spot choice.  Done deal.  Now, I ask for your opinions on whether to do a gloss or semi-gloss finish?  I love the appearance of black gloss, and have restored most of my components in that manner, but I believe I recall hearing that the original finish on the frame was semi-gloss.  What say ye?

48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 5:43pm
Though the semi-gloss is correct, the high gloss is much better looking. Also gloss hides a multitude of sins. Oil leaks hide better too!
Hey, what's this do?
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 7:20pm
I'm a gloss person, Alaska.  Go with your aesthetic sensibility.  What could be better--gloss black contrasted against stark white?  If you are not going for 100 points in a show, then what you like is what counts the most, not some W/O decision that was made 60 years ago, probably because flat or semi-gloss was cheaper.  Ten years from now, the gloss black will look semi-gloss anyhow.  Enjoy what you like.  And it really does look neat!
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:29pm
I went with gloss on mine, the semi gloss almost looked flat when I put it on so I changed to gloss. (makes it simpler too, gloss everything, especially when my body color is gloss black) Big%20smileBig%20smile
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dav45_cj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dav45_cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 10:34am
I would go with the gloss. A few years back I had some parts on a Mustang done gloss black and they will dull a bit over time, just like paint but not as fast. And I think the gloss looks so nice too!!!
1945 #10231 and 1946 #17458
My Website
45-49 Date & Numbers Database
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 10:38am
Thank you gentlemen, for your unanimous support of the "glossy" option, and for reinforcing my long standing belief that a "frame off" need not always be done back to off the line, "original" specs in all regards so as to satisfy the desires of the Barrett Jackson show quality crowd.  I have a great deal of respect for the "purists" out there, for their dedication and effort towards ensuring that every single aspect and finish of the vehicle and its component parts be researched and then brought back to "as they were in the day" condition.  In the end, however, I (we) (each of us) must be the ones to be satisfied and happy with our work.  I am already bracing myself  LOL  for the rash of critical analysis, the microscopic view, of my finished product and all of the ways in which it "differs" from the day it was made.  No bother.  It will be a gorgeous, functional machine, ready for another 60 years of work and fun, and my family and I will derive great joy from it.  I ask for your opinions so as to stir up debate, which I learn from, even though in many cases I may have already made up my mind.  Glossy it shall be, then!
48 CJ2A 212561

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:55pm
If you remember a few months ago when the 2A sold on BJ, seems it had a whole bunch of inaccuracies (more than paint gloss) and it still sold for what I thought was a lot. Go figure.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 2:04pm
   PICTURES  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ???????????????????????
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by AlaskaCJ2A AlaskaCJ2A wrote:

Thank you gentlemen, for your unanimous support of the "glossy" option, and for reinforcing my long standing belief that a "frame off" need not always be done back to off the line, "original" specs in all regards so as to satisfy the desires of the Barrett Jackson show quality crowd.  I have a great deal of respect for the "purists" out there, for their dedication and effort towards ensuring that every single aspect and finish of the vehicle and its component parts be researched and then brought back to "as they were in the day" condition.  In the end, however, I (we) (each of us) must be the ones to be satisfied and happy with our work.  I am already bracing myself  LOL  for the rash of critical analysis, the microscopic view, of my finished product and all of the ways in which it "differs" from the day it was made.  No bother.  It will be a gorgeous, functional machine, ready for another 60 years of work and fun, and my family and I will derive great joy from it.  I ask for your opinions so as to stir up debate, which I learn from, even though in many cases I may have already made up my mind.  Glossy it shall be, then!
Hey, can I switch back to semi-gloss?Wink
Hey, what's this do?
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 9:20pm
Black Undies! Kinky! Nobody has suggested P I N K ?

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 9:42pm

GLOSS BLACK.   It will fade to semi-gloss after 1-2 years.

Edited by Randy Snyder - 20 July 2007 at 9:43pm
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 11:38am
Ken - PINK?  Confused   Reminds me of all the 'lil pink Jeeps one sees buzzing around central and northern Arizona trekking the turkeys through the desert.  Hey, that might just look real good alongside my cherry red tub don't ya think?  I could start up my own turkey trekking gig here in Anchorage..........Big%20smile  

Randy - nice looking frame, man!  Still looks pretty glossy to me.........

Edited by AlaskaCJ2A - 21 July 2007 at 11:40am
48 CJ2A 212561

lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by AlaskaCJ2A AlaskaCJ2A wrote:

Ken - PINK?  Confused   Reminds me of all the 'lil pink Jeeps one sees buzzing around central and northern Arizona trekking the turkeys through the desert.  Hey, that might just look real good alongside my cherry red tub don't ya think?  I could start up my own turkey trekking gig here in Anchorage..........Big%20smile  

Randy - nice looking frame, man!  Still looks pretty glossy to me.........
I think the lace is gonna get caught in the running gear.
Hey, what's this do?
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 7:12pm
It's a good thing my wife has other things going on ..OR she would have a post on PINK.
Randy, man that bumper looks good...That some new old stock thing you found?, or what came with yours? or a repo? Man, that looks good....
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 10:45am

I was kinda waiting on Cat to come up with something about her favorite jeep color, but she didn't speak up, so somebody had to do itLOL

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply