Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Start????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Start????
    Posted: 04 Nov. 2007 at 5:16am
OK, I have finally put everything back together and cannot seem to get the the engine to start. It sputters and a few times (in between battery charges) it "almost" starts. for some reason It will not run. What am I over looking? Everything is tight!! Fluids primed and full!! I reallythink I am overlooking a simple step but I have tried everything I know to do to try and get it fired!!

Any ideas? Should it be so difficult to start after takig apart?

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2007 at 9:46am
 Gap in the points...bad condenser....bad coil...burnt out points...I have even had a new ignition switch that was no good....do the easy ..start at the distrubitor...also could be time..
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2007 at 1:45pm
      http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6144

Is it possible ?????????
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2007 at 2:43pm
Check
1.  Fuel  in carb.  if not spray a little in it and see if it pops off
2. Re check the firing order of plug wires, rotor is counter clockwise, besure #1 is firing the
    appropriate time.
3. check the spark,  the points gap and condencer.   also coil but I doubt it is the coil.
4. Is the timing set correct or close, you would find this out when checking the firing order
    by seeing where the rotor is positioned when placing the #1 plug wire.

Hillbilly21 if you are right he just has to hit the easy buttonBig%20smile  Delaneyland has done the resurch
Ed
cj2a lefty
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2007 at 6:52pm
Not to rain on your parade, but...when you say that you've "finally put everything back together", how _far_ down did you take it? Did you remove the oit pump? By _any_ chance, did you do so, and then touch the distributor? Reason I ask is because we had a very painful experience in this regard, and it drove us nuts until we discovered that the timing marks on the flywheel were 180 degrees off, and what _should_ have been TDC (to set timing) wasn't.

If the above is possibly your problem (and I'd certainly start with the poits and condensor!), then I heartily recommend that you read the "Engine Rebuils, Part 2" (I think), over on the "G"...because in spite of EVERYthing that we did to verify TDC (feeling inside the plug hole, whistle, etc.), we HAD to remove the head in order to finally find the problem!

Hope that it's simpler than all of that!
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
matthewpatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2007 at 1:16am

I figured it out!!!! I'm an idiot.

Had the #2 & #3 plug wires switched and did not ground the battery to the Frame, I had it connected to the engine block. Wouldn't you know. once corrected she started up on the first try!!

Now I just need to adjust the carb and the clutch some more and get a new gas tank, the steel one is rusting apart.

I'll get some pictures posted. But now I am going to get some rest. Thanks for all the help!!

Post Reply Post Reply