Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Jack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheap Jeep (CJ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Jack
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2008 at 5:24pm
I would appreciate any information on the distinguishing differences on the original jeep jack.  I have a part # A1240 for the jack and A348 for the handle.  Is this info correct and was it stamped on the jack or handle somewhere?  Is there any differences in the base, ie square or rectangle?  Are the tops an arch piece of steel or is it a stamped cup?  Is the whole for the handle round or flat?  What is the closed height of the jack?  This should be enough questions concerning the jeep jack and handle!!!!!  All you jeep wizards jump on this!!!LOL

Thanks for any input,,,or is that output!

Cheap Jeep
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2008 at 6:23pm
CJ..there's been a discussion, of late, about Jeep jacks here...

That's really not the best spot for it, but if you want to jump into that one...

And part of the discussion concerns just what constitutes an "original" jack for a Jeep...My own take on it is that these were probably a "generic" item...purchased by Willys from a supplier who may well have manufactured it in the same form for a number of vehicles. It wasn't produced in-house, certainly, and as long as it would do its job, and didn't cost too much (in the eyes of the Willys bean-counters), it was probably considered as a viable product.

Look at it this way...if you were to go out today, and want to purchase a bottle jack, for example, you'd be concerned first about its lifting capacity, it's minimum and maximum height, but probably not whether the base was square, rectangular, or round...nor whether the handle had a flattened end for removing hubcaps (unless this was one of your criteria) or a square-cut one. You'd also probably be concerned about its price. Those were probably much the same considerations that the buyers for Willys had in mind when they put out a RFP (or whatever it may have been called in those days) to the various jack manufacturers around the country in 194_....
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2008 at 6:46pm
Jack,

For designers of the Jeep back in WWII WEIGHT was a major factor more than safety and longevity. These Jeep jacks are very light compaired to similar jacks of that era.
Cheap Jeep (CJ) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheap Jeep (CJ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2008 at 8:12pm
Thanks Jack for putting me on the discussion, I would have not looked for it there.

CJ
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2008 at 9:01pm
Matt...I know that _during the war_, they even went so far as to cut off the "excess" bolt threads in an effort to pare the weight down, BUT...we're talking AFTER the war here, aren't we? I seriously expect that cost would have been of more concern at that point than weight...or were those ag weights made of "fluff"? <g>

I will grant you that to some extent, cost was based on the weight of the steel that was used in a product. Machining and labor were possibly secondary to the cost of materials during those days.

Actually, I don't recall seeing any similar jacks from the '40s (post-war), but I'm not so sure that these for a Jeep are really any lighter.
Seeya!

<Jack>

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2008 at 12:15am
Well, think of it this way. Willys during the war needed less weight (for many reasons) but as the MB production was coming to a halt and CJ's started to roll off the assembly line why would they change jacks when they had surplus jacks, we know this due to the A- part #. I 100% agree that the weight of the CJ didn't matter one bit. It would cost less to use up the surplus jacks.

search "vintage jack" on eBay motors, tell me that those jacks are only 4 pounds. They look like they're made from solid steel!

The seller of this jack says it's 12 LBS !!!!! that 3X as the Jeep jack!!!
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2008 at 12:27am
I have a jack almost identical to that one the head is a little different but the weight is about 12 lbs.  The jack that is for my jeep is about 4 lbs. as you said  The handle for the bigger jack is flat about 1/4 thick by 1 1/8 inch wide and I have one around here somewhere
Ed
cj2a lefty
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2008 at 1:20am
Yeah, but it's th' weight of all them leopard spots that do it! <smirk>

Oh, ok Matt...but unless they had a LOT more MB/GPW _jacks_ sittin' aorund gathering dust than they did tubs, I'd expect that they ran out pretty quick! If you want to put some sort of "fence" around the years that you're talking about, that might work, but if it's anything after '46, for sure...

But I'm not sure that it's going to matter...as far as I can see, nobody's able to offer any definitive proof of one jack being THE one that came with every CJ2A. And neither of mine came with one, anyway. I'll just have to "make do", I suppose.
Seeya!

<Jack>

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2008 at 2:32am
Jack to be honest, The only time my Jeep goes up on a jack it's in the shop and I use a floor jack. If I did get a flat I'd just drive it home anyway. The sidewalls of my NDT's are like rocks and the light weight of the Jeep it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Post Reply Post Reply