Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7 Years of work.... A lifetime of fun!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 47>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2008 at 1:19am
started fitting them today. no welding yet, just cutting and marking so i know which one goes to what and where. i hope i don't screw these up!Confused
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2008 at 1:42am
well the hat channels are tacked and sitting in place. i got one board od trax decking board to use instead of the wood. i'll be cutting and fitting that into the supports this week. pics are uploaded to my album and a walk around is uploaded to http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeg576
thanks for looking guys
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2008 at 4:28pm
Mike...that's looking great!

Now...you bring up something that I've wondered about for a while, and want to toss out as a "general question" to the forum...concerning the use of "filler" material in the hat channels...

I understand NOT using the original wooden material for filler, owing to its abilitiy to absorb water, thus causing the rusting problem, but...is it really better to use the "synthetic wood", as you have done? Sure, it doesn't absorb moisture itself, but my thinking is that it would still allow moisture to be trapped to some extent between the plastic and the steel of the channel, and still cause long-term rusting. The original wood was probably white oak, from what I've read, and while that _does_ have pores to hold the water, it's a pretty dense material, as far as wood goes, so I wouldn't think that it was all that much worse than a piece of plastic when it came to holding the moisture inside the hat channel. Vent/drain holes might have provided a better solution, but they would also open up the channel to intrusion in the first place, so that's out, I suppose. Metal tubing "crush points" is used by some folks, I know, but how difficult would it be to cut and place the right piece of tubing? Wouldn't that still be worth the additional effort?

Of course, this may all be a moot point, as far as we're concerned. The original channels have taken a very long time to rust through in the first place, and the odds are that plastic-filled ones will last at least as long, so most of us will probably be dead 'n gone before the problem reappears. Anybody have a definitive answer to all of this?
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2008 at 6:06pm
Hummmmmmmmm.................
I don't think there will be any way to build the channel system to keep the inside from having a moisture problem without sealing the channels to keep water out. I'm sure water seeps in because they are only tack welded to the body so any moisture has easy access. IF there was a way to totally seal off the channels, the moisture problem wouldn't be as bad AND maybe a drain hole or 3 might help keep the moisture from building up and staying inside (?). In any case the wood would help hold the moisture and encourage rust.
I think the best senario would be the tubes to keep the channel from crushing and then would allow moisture freedom to move to a drain hole and exit without staying and giving rust something to feed from. The inside of the channel also needs to be treated with a rust inhibitor of some type to prolong its life.
Botton line, they are going to rust because nothing will last forever. We can enjoy these Jeeps as long as we will be here. Let our Grankids replace the channels later.
My $.02.

Big%20smile

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2008 at 11:12pm
Well, I suppose that we COULD do what Rolls Royce used to do...and seal them entirely, under vacuum conditins! Seriously, as I understand it, they would build up the frame rails out of fully-boxed tubes, and then vacuum-pump them to some very low number, and somehow seal them up while in that state!

We could get one of those vacuum presses that are used for veneering wood, etc., and evacuate the hat channels, but how t' get inside the bag and weld? That's gonna be a little tough! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2008 at 12:45am
thanks jack,
i did purchase a stick or trex decking boards( the plastic stuff) i'm using that. i'll also be using a aftermarket seam sealer on all body seams and pannel joints. i know it's not what some would use due to "not orig" but i do plan on putting my jeep to good use and i want it to last after what i do to it. besides, the only people that will ever know is the guys and gals here that know the 2a's. i mocked up the frame on the channels today to make sure my stuff is all good and where it should be. whick bring me to the next update. i'll need to cut the welds on the floor riser and rear of the new floors. i didn't notice that my riser had moved from it's clamped spots when i welded everything. my body mounts are off by too much to fudge it. i took some pics and a vid of what i did. i'll post it in my album and on youtube.com.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2008 at 6:54am
Man, that looks really good Mike! Cant' wait to see it when It's done. I painted inside of mine before I installed  and I used pieces of pipe as crush sleeves.Probalby burned some paint off spotwelding them in, but I don't think I could have gotten around that.  Thanks for the pic's , Im really enjoying them

Bob 
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2008 at 6:15pm
Looks real nice Mike.  What was your source for the new hat channels?
The Jeep Family:
2003 KJ - wife's daily driver
1997 XJ - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig - - -> FOR SALE
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1946(ish) CJ2A - my new project - - ->FOR SALE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2008 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Lomar15 Lomar15 wrote:

Man, that looks really good Mike! Cant' wait to see it when It's done. I painted inside of mine before I installed  and I used pieces of pipe as crush sleeves.Probalby burned some paint off spotwelding them in, but I don't think I could have gotten around that.  Thanks for the pic's , Im really enjoying them

Bob 
thanks bob. i was thinking of painting or coating them w/ something before i plug weld them on. don't worry i'll keep posting the updates.  you know mw and pictures.LOL

Originally posted by stick stick wrote:

Looks real nice Mike.  What was your source for the new hat channels?

thanks stick, i got these channels from fellow member here. don't think i should give his name due to the fact he told me i was getting the last set till his jeep is complete. i can tell you that they are very nice and came at a even better price. post something up in want to buy maybe he can put you on a wating list.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2008 at 12:40am
Mike,
    I use a weld through coating brand named "Bloxide" works pretty well for me, I've used it for a number of years on other applications as well. I get it from a welding supply store.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2008 at 1:02am

cool, i guess Air Gas would have it. i'll check when i get more cut off wheels tomorrow.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2008 at 3:10am
It's cool Mike, I made them.  I've had so many requests that I made a bunch more the past couple of weeks. I have 3 more sets almost built right now, should be done them by the weekend if any one needs them. here's the link to them:

Bob
46 CJ2A #48777
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2008 at 11:30pm
cool i didn't want to say anything and get you swamped w/ work. i've been busting my ass on getting this thing done and hate when things pop up,....like working, lol.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2008 at 3:56am
I appreciate that Mike, ya I hear you, life and work get in the way.   I'm having fun just watching you build.

thanks Bob
46 CJ2A #48777
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2008 at 4:27am
some updates from today, sat.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2008 at 5:50am
got some done today. the cowl is welded, replaced the wheel well inner wall, and did a few patches on the tub it's self.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2008 at 4:51pm
looking great!!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2008 at 6:20pm
didn't do much but made a few patches on the wheel wells. thank god i used the last of my .045 wire. i changed it out for some .035. that should make my life a bit easyer. it's not .020 but anything is better than what i was using.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 47>