Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E brake cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E brake cable
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2008 at 1:38am
ok, i just had to go out in the -5 degree weather, and dig out my bead blasted cable with hardware...it has 3 holding points...1. firewall  2. side of bellhousing  3. tranny crossmember...futhermore, i went and looked at the bellhousing i used, and it does have the provision, casted "2  A-438", so i apologize for saying it did not have the hole...i have another MB housing casted "A-438"----no "2", and it does NOT have the hole, and a 3rd housing i have, stamped "3   A-438" has only the hole, no raised flat area like "2  A-438"....so for the record, i satnd corrected on my previous post..low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2008 at 12:55am
Mike:

Referring only to the cable housing ("conduit" as Willys called it).
  • the front end was held by the firewall bracket clamp
  • the rear end was held by the crossmember clamp
  • the center was clipped to the bell housing ("flywheel" housing as Willys called it)
Allen had one photo posted here:  Cable routing  and I've seen a couple of tohers but can't find 'em quick.

Check the parts database.  Look under group 24-brakes, then subgroup 01-hand brake. See part # A-5393.  Listed in all manuals.  (Wow, it's coming in handy already Big%20smile)

Don't know which cable you have, but the ones I've seen have a circumferential groove around the crossmember end (you can see it in Bobs photos above), that the clamp divot sits in.  That type has no adjustability.  The front end could be adjusted some, but not 4" worth.

I seem to recall that they've talked about this over on the G too.  I though MBs had 'em too, particularly since they're a military part number.

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2008 at 12:19am
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Bob:

I haven't installed mine yet, but from what I've heard from others, I can see how it wouldn't fit "right".

When you consider that both ends are permanently fixed to immobile brackets, and near the center gets clipped to the bell housing, then the extra length would cause it to bow out on one side or the other of the center clip (or less on both sides if you tried to smooth it out).

When the time comes, I'm thinking of extending the crossmember end further out somehow (if I haven't found the correct one by then).

Sean

it does?  where?  lol  when i removed the cable from the '45, it was attached at 3 points...

1. firewall
2. e-brake arm
3. bracket with a "toe" to the crossmember---the bracket you showed plated in an earlier post

i cannot say if my bellhousing is correct or not, it is a late production MB bellhousing, and it does NOT have the hole provision that my '48 had, the crossmember bracket works much like a throttle cable, the sheath will slide/adjust through the bracket allowing excess to be directed either towards the firewall, or the e-brake.....low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2008 at 12:07am
Bob:

I haven't installed mine yet, but from what I've heard from others, I can see how it wouldn't fit "right".

When you consider that both ends are permanently fixed to immobile brackets, and near the center gets clipped to the bell housing, then the extra length would cause it to bow out on one side or the other of the center clip (or less on both sides if you tried to smooth it out).

When the time comes, I'm thinking of extending the crossmember end further out somehow (if I haven't found the correct one by then).

Sean
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2008 at 11:53pm

I thought I might have had something, but I guess everyone knows about it.WinkEmbarrassedI haven't installed it yet , but I guess by your answers that the 4" extra is noticable.  On my old one the outer wire spiral was broken and 3 inner wires were as well. I streached the cable tight with a ratchet strap and my work bench vice, I cut the inner ones so they butted together, And wrapped mechanics wire tight around the cable and tack welded the ends to the outer spiral wire.  It works, but I don't trust it in an emergency. close up pic

thanks for all the answers

Bob

46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2008 at 9:30pm
I've been playing with a couple I have too. it seems that there was no paint on any of them. I have one that the outter wound wire broke and has sepperated. I've tried to think of a good way to reconnect it. It seems to small to weld, solder maybe?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2008 at 9:07pm
I got one of these from Ron too...few years back...at that time he did not know what it fit. Don't know if that mystery was ever solved... I also tried installing it on my CJ but was unhappy because of the extra length. The nice thing about this one from him is the metal sheath. I suppose it would be difficult to shorten without some good way to re-swedge the ends. I have one if anyone is interested in playing with it as I probably won't need it. 
I gave up and repaired my original. But his is one of the nicer NOS available cables. I still am unsure as to the original finish on the sheath. Mine appears to have been plated?
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2008 at 7:46pm

Thanks Sean, I wonder what it is accually for? maybe a DJ?  I'm just happy that it looks correct, better than the black plastic coated style

46 CJ2A #48777
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2008 at 3:07pm
Bob:

I got an E-brake cable from Ron too.  I figured being NOS from a reputable MB/GPW parts supplier they would be correct, but not.

It will work, just doesn't route as smoothly as the correct length.

Sean
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2008 at 10:31pm
 Very Reasonable for the $$$...come and put mine on after you get yours done Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2008 at 9:18pm
Hi Guys, I just picked up a NOS late MB e brake cable from Ron Fitzpatrick and I am quite happy with it. The only difference is the lengh. The other sheath on my 2A cable is 33" long, and the MB is 37" long.  Other then that is is exactly the same.  I measured the thickness of the innner and outer cable, the ends where the clamps go , with a digital caliper and everything matches.  Only $17.50, too.  Just thought I'd let anyone know who didn't already(maybe I'm the only one)Embarrassed hehe.  here are some pics, The one in primer is my original, The outer sheath was busted and I patched it up but don't trust it. Also got the bellows thermostates. NOS in the original boxes, kinda felt bad opening them up, breaking the celophane tape. But it's pretty nice.

Bob

46 CJ2A #48777
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply