Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiser Supersonic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaiser Supersonic
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 6:25pm

I recently bought what I was told was a '48 CJ2a.Everything checks out, or seems to except for the engine--It has Kaiser Supersonic on the head, as well as on the ID plate on the engine. A friend with a flat fender told me that engine could not have been original to that Jeep. Anyone got anything different to add?

Edited by chessie - 02 Jan. 2006 at 6:26pm
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 9:30pm
He is right
Ed
cj2a lefty
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2006 at 10:17pm
I don't believe that is the original engine because Kaiser didn't make that motor untill the 50's. That doesn't mean thats bad as the Kaiser was one of the replacement motors used back then. You can change the head to make it look more stock by backing off the head studs about 3/16" and adding the correct head. That supersonic head is desireable as the specs. give it 8 more horsepower. If you want to get rid of it I a have a 48 head that I have had remachined that I may trade?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

chessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2006 at 7:25pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to keep the head, as the engine block itself has supersonic on it as well.

Are all of the different running gear types distinguishable by the serial #'s? ie: rear end, axles,powr lock,etc..

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2006 at 8:56pm

If the engine is in decent shape save it.. The flatheads are getting scarcer and scarcer every day, and someone who is not into matching numbers will be glad to use it. OR...a Kaiser guy might want it. Most folks will never see it in a restored jeep engine compartment anyhow, unless you point it out.

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply