Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E- Brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E- Brake
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2008 at 3:53pm
HI Guys
I need to know if anybody has any info on the E-brake spring. I found some info on the piece of wire that holds the spring to the body , I take it is about 6 1\2 inches long but can't find anything about the spring. I don't have the wire but will be easy to make but need to know about how long the spring is and how strong it might be. I figure I can go to the hardware store and buy a spring if I know some info on it.
I think about 2 more weeks and I will have my rebuild pretty much done. I got all the painting done and just need to finish putting things back on.
Pat
kittythejeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittythejeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2008 at 4:50pm
Hey can you tell me what you know about the E brake?  My 1948 cj2a that my dad bought me has no E-brake a all and we are not even sure how it hooks up. Thanks
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2008 at 9:46pm
i will measure the spring tomorrow...

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2008 at 11:33pm
Under the dash their is a brace that the e-brake handle slides into and then a bracket on the firewall by the motor that holds the end of the cable and then on the bell housing their is another bracket that bolts their and the cable runs to the cross member under the transfer case and has another bracket that bolts down the other end. Then the cable hooks into the arm on the e-brake arm at the back of the transfer case. Their is a spring that then hooks on the arm that pulls the cable back when the brake is release and this is where I am trying to find out how this part works. On my old jeep body the (po) had a door spring holding it back and I am trying to put the right spring on it and figure out where it hooks to the frame or body.

low -- is the bracket on the e-brake arm suppose to be their or is this something that was added to hook the spring to. I don't have one of those but it doesn't look like it would be that hard to make. Can you tell me how long that bracket is also and about how thick it is, 1/8 steel might work
Thanks Pat

Edited by Pat T. - 13 Apr. 2008 at 11:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittythejeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2008 at 3:44am
Thanks, i now know more than i did!
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2008 at 4:54pm
I suspect Kitty Kitty that you might try to locate some manuals; they are invaluable! There is the Mechanic's Manual, the Operators Manual, Parts Manual, and the list goes on.  You could study them between classes and during recess! ...... you n' your pappy are gonna enjoy working on that emergency brake  Wink  AND, BTW, those clips that fasten the spring might be a wonderful (and relatively simple) project for one of our local engineers to fabricate; I know that I'd like ta have one too!  It sorta reminds me of the little clip that holds the spring on the carb or Sean's super inside mirror bracket.  I'd like ta write more but gotta get back to over-hauling my drag link.
Blu

Edited by Bluax - 14 Apr. 2008 at 4:56pm
Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2008 at 2:21am
low ----- did you have time to get those measurements that I needed. I would like to finish up the brake system soon

Thanks Pat
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2008 at 2:28am
no pat, i am stuck at work until thursday evening at 2000 hours :( manadatory overtime sux in the firefighting/ems world :(  and they wonder why the burnout rate is so high...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2008 at 12:15pm
okay that will work for me. I know about the overtime   for 35 years I did county roadwork and in the winter the days got long and allot of them in a row.

Pat
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2008 at 10:30pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2008 at 2:00am
yes the one that hooks on the e-brake arm and also how big the spring is. I got one from a farm store and it isn't strong enough. I doesn't pull the cable back. I know that the spring on the emergency brake shoes pull the shoes back but the one I put on won't pull the cable all the way back.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2008 at 2:32am
ok, here are 3 pics, one of the short bracket that serves as the spring return on the carb (which i have found more than not on parts jeeps), the long bracket for the e-brake return spring (that i have found now on at least 5 parts jeeps), and lastly a pic of the 2 brackets and the e-brake return spring next to a ruler..low

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2008 at 3:23am
Excellent comparison, Low.  I just received the carb clip from Beachwood 3 or 4 days ago and it is exactly 2 1/4" long identical to your emergency brake clip. And the ebay clip also looks like the clip you have noted as being for an emergency brake.  Frankly, the one I got from Beachwood, advertized as a carb clip, doesn't appear strong enuf to last very long in an emergency brake situation.  Beachwood sells them for $5.50 ea.  Maybe I'll make
something similar in size but stronger.
Blu
Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2008 at 2:24pm
Thanks low that is just what I needed. I can see why the spring on the e-brake arm won't pull the arm back, mine that was on it was allot lighter and the one for the carb is allot lighter on mine and I had to turn the bracket on the carb to put some back pull on the foot feed.

Thanks Pat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittythejeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2008 at 8:39pm
Thanks, gonna check our local spring mfg. shop first.  Bracket should be easy top make in the shop at home!

Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply