Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Bow Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 6:25pm
No question about my liking the top Matt...and I couldn't crank down on it as much as I would like, simply because, as Mike pointed out, I've still got the Bestop bows on there, forcing me to go out and around them a bit.

One thing that does concern me a bit however...the front corners at the windshield frame...the tubing has a bit of a sharp corner to it of course, and that's only a single layer of fabric at that point. I suspect that this will be the first place to wear through, driving at the "high speeds" that I do! <g> Would it have been possible to take the doubled-up fabric along the front edge (where the grommets are) out a bit further, to wrap around the corner seam? I haven't really studied how you did that corner, but suspect that would have been a royal pain. Maybe I should just get out my file,and round those corners down, huh? <g>

BTW...I gotta tell ya..that white fabric really DOES make a difference in the heat coming down on me! (And Mike...my bride says to tell you that she has GOOD taste! <g> After all, she picked ME, didn't she? <smirk>)

Really am quite proud of my new bows and bikini top though. Had to go around town yesterday, just showin' off! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 7:22pm
OK...I'm going to try going at this pictures thing a little differently this time, so let's see if I have any luck!

HOORAY!!!! It worked! At last...but I've just gone around my elbow t' get t' my nose! But at least now, you won't have to "belong to Picasa", in order to see them! Sheesh!

Seeya!

<Jack>

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Jus*Jack Jus*Jack wrote:

No question about my liking the top Matt...and I couldn't crank down on it as much as I would like, simply because, as Mike pointed out, I've still got the Bestop bows on there, forcing me to go out and around them a bit.

One thing that does concern me a bit however...the front corners at the windshield frame...the tubing has a bit of a sharp corner to it of course, and that's only a single layer of fabric at that point.

Jack, would a little folded up pad of like, inner tube rubber, show after you put the top on? That would be one solution on yours.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 8:35pm
If the inner tube rubber shows, perhaps you could cut a small piece from a light colored spunge that would not show as much.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 12:32am
A little bit of sticky-back foam weatherstripping would work well.  The sticky would keep it from moving around, and the foam would be enough to separate the top from the frame, and you could trim it so it wouldn't show.

The foam could be stuck on either the top or the windshield.  Since it's compressed between the two, it should not move.

Edited by m38mike - 18 July 2008 at 4:21am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 1:45am
Those ideas would all probably work...but my thought was that Matt might want to consider altering his pattern for however many remain to be done...IF it could be done simply.

It may never be much of a problem, I dunno, but first impression for me, as I drove along at 50+ was that this area was getting more movement and abrasion that was probably good for it.

Seeya!

<Jack>

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 4:20pm
Jack, do the corners rub? I made the fold a little taller on the corner to lift the canvas up a bit, it should pull on the sides and top. I didn't notice any of the tops being poked by the corner of the windshield frame. Every top has been test fit on my jeep to ensure it fits ok. I should have sent the scrap canvas with the tops for future repairs (if needed).

When I get home I'll install Sam's toast top and Russ's Black top to check where your talking about again.

I've been hot air ballooning and will be home tonight but won't get to it till tomorrow.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 4:26pm
Are you saying my top is "toast"?  Gee, that's too bad.  I was looking forward to it.  Wink 
Sam

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 6:30pm
HOT AIR BALLOONING???? The noive! <g>

It's not really a question of them "rubbing" while it's sitting still Matt. It's the fact that there is enough looseness at that point that when driving along at speed (speed???), it tends to move up and down, and will, over a period of time, begin to wear there, I think. Your "lift" at the corners keeps the top of the fabric from resting on the frame corners, but what happens is that the "sides" at that point tend to pull in a little, and so the actual contact is below the top of the fold.

Maybe I'm just being a worrywart. <g> After all...these things look so good, I'd hate to see them wear prematurely! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Jus*Jack Jus*Jack wrote:

Maybe I'm just being a worrywart. <g> After all...these things look so good, I'd hate to see them wear prematurely! <g>

............then you would be able to buy one of those Irish ones. Wink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:49pm
jack, nice shots!!!  i only have one comment.....in your last photo.....ONLY in GA or FLA could  man get away with mounting such a nice compressor externally of the building and it still be there in a week or so...you must either live where they mail you daylight, or you have one helluva mean dog nearby :)~~~ low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 8:09pm
Hehe...thanks Low. And you're right about the compressor (and the MIG welder, which also sits out there, along with a lot of different hand tools!) I originally thought that I could put that stuff in the living room, but my wife had "issues" with that idea! <g>

If you take a look at that pic of me in "Gator Garb", you might notice the gun rack in the background? Well, around here, I think it's a foregone conclusion that EVERYbody owns a few guns...and it's YOUR call, as to whether you think that the owner knows how to use it! <g>

It's a long run up my driveway, and there's not much cover, so if they DO decide to visit, they'd best be _very_ fast at getting back down it! <g>

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that the only way to get in to the DOG yard that surrounds this area is to open a gate or jump the fence...and there's NO warning about "Bad Dog", which usually implies that the dog's really NOT! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 8:27pm
I was looking sort of enviously at Jack's sheltered but outdoor setup too.  Anyone that knows much about Arlington VA can guess that I live in quasi urban setting.  A few weeks ago, I had my compressor in the driveway behind my house because I had been attacking some reluctant bolts on my trailer that I had up here to repair.  There was no rain in the forecast, so I left the compressor outside because I intended to finish up the next day.  About 1 am in the morning, I was wakened by the nasty compressor running.  I had left the switch on automatic instead of off and had to chase out there and shut it off before it woke up the whole neighborhood.  Rural settings definitely have their advantages!
Sam

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 6:58pm
Yup...living in the boonies has its rewards! Since my nearest neighbor is over a quarter-mile away, I don't think he'd complain about the noise! <g> (Actually, about the only noises heard around here are either gunshots from somebody hunting or taking some target practice, or a semi running down the main road, which is also a quarter-mile down from me. Oh yeah, and the birds, of course! <g>

OTOH, I _do_ see A-10 "Warthogs" practicing overhead from time to time, and the occasional crop-duster...but those things have gotten dramatically quieter over the last decade or so. More just a "whoosh" anymore, since they're turbines.

And t' think that when I lived in Miami, I had neighbors living 15 feet away from me on both sides! Yuck!
Seeya!

<Jack>

Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2008 at 4:10am
Thanks, Jeff, got mine yesterday, they look awesome!, fit perfectly!, super quality workmanship

bob
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2008 at 5:11pm
Jack,
What is that red device lying on the hood of your jeep? A 6v Etcha-Sketch??? I've long suspected archie-techs used some sort of sophisicated device to create their fantascies.

Nice Jeep!!!

Bob
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
http://picasaweb.google.com/home
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2008 at 5:17pm
I'm gonna guess a solar battery charger.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2008 at 5:26pm
Why...that's my secret decoder panel! I keep it hooked up to the battery, and it slowly, but surely, reveals to me all of the _correct_ serial numbers, and other data for Jeeps, which I then pass along to Sean...<g>

Nawww...Gale's right. A solar charger that I picked up from Northern Tool, or Harbor Freight. I was trying it on the Jeep battery, but without the "cigar-lighter plug", and it appeared to overcharge the battery, so I'm still playing with a clean and simple way to have it connected, (I had hoped to put a simple 2-prong connector plug on the battery, and just plug this directly into that. No muss, no fuss, but that didn't fly.)

Seeya!

<Jack>

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>