Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warn Overdrive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warn Overdrive
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:08pm
How much does a USED warn overdrive sell for these days? I have an offer to buy one for 400$ cash, And im wondering if its worth it?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:14pm
Herm the Overdrive Guy sells rebuilt units for $750. So it depends on what condition the one you're looking at is in. I always figured that "good used" should be about half what a new part costs. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:16pm
My jeep tops out at 55mph, with the overdrive i could drive 55mph and keep low rpms right>
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:41pm
Dez:
Quote How much does a USED warn overdrive sell for these days?
Anywhere from $700 to $1000.

How much are they really worth?  From $0 to $700, all depends on condition.  So BUYER BEWARE!

Quote I have an offer to buy one for 400$ cash, And im wondering if its worth it?
If it's in good useable condition as-is, that's a fair price.

But check it out carefully first!  If any of the major parts are worn out or broken, they are VERY EXPENSIVE to replace.  If there are many parts needing replaced, it could cost you more than buying a new one.

I was offered a "good working" unit for $300, but had to remove it myself.  As I was taking it off, I began to see bad things, and pointed them out.  I didn't have to pay for it until I could disassemble it & check it out carefully.  It ended up needing $650 worth (retail) of new parts, so I returned it.  In that condition, it was given to me for nothing. After some discount & surplus shopping, I got all the parts for @ $500.

So if I had paid $300 for it, the total cost would have been almost the same as a rebuilt unit.

After that experience, I would never buy one unless I had the opportunity to examnine it first, or the seller offered a 100% money back guarantee.

Sean

Edited by sean - 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:43pm
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 3:51pm
Thanks for the Tip, I can inspect it by hand, am i looking for 'warn out' parts and cracked/metal shavings? He 'said' its in running order.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 4:16pm
It seems to me that the 29 tooth ones go for less than the 26 tooth ovderdrives.  When you watch them on ebay, the 29 tooth ones will sell for about $500 - $600 but the 26 tooth ones go for $800 to $900.  If your buying one, make sure you make sure it's right for your jeep.  (sorry if I'm telling you something you already know)

I bought mine from Herm.  It was new 26 tooth for $875 bucks.  That is cheaper than any used ones I've seen on ebay and you have a warranty.  Mine has the 4 planet gears.  Mine is also front shift.

Before I installed my overdrive I drove about 38 mph and I got 18 mpg.
After I installed it I can drive 45 mph and get 23 mpg.

If you do buy one of Herm's make sure you INSTALL THE OIL TUBE!  I found out the hard way what happens when you don't!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 5:04pm
Dez:
Quote am i looking for 'warn out' parts
Smile  Yep, specially the "warn" specific parts.
Quote and cracked/metal shavings?
That's always a good first clue, but there's more to it.

Most of the bearings & syncho rings are common parts, and can be bought locally for much less than Saturn charges.

But the majority of the internal parts are unique to the Warn/Saturn overdrive.  It's these parts that are expensive to replace.

Best familiarize yourself with what to look for.  Look through the factory publications posted here:
Warn/Saturn overdrive manuals
Check out all the photos of what it looks like inside:
Warn overdrive rebuild
Pay particular attention to the planetary hub (@ $275), and the 4 spider gears, bearings & shafts (@ $300-400 total).

Sean
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 6:22pm
Heres some pictures sorry for them being so big

Edited by Dez - 23 Aug. 2008 at 6:23pm
downrangeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downrangeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 7:09pm
I sold one for 850.00 on ebay three years ago.  For what my two cents are worth, I concur with fore mentioned buyer beware messages.  There are several needle bearings that can be worn out and not know it.  My experience with them is that if anything leaks it is that unit and you need to stay on top of lube levels.  If you run without it is costly.  The grand side of things is it works good and you get an extra lever for people to ask about (yeah buddy)!  I never noticed improvements in gas mileage actually never thought to check.  I ran 7.50 NDT tires and was clocked at 63mph once. 
jeeperkyle46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 8:55pm
if my jeep got up to 63 mph.... i would love it!  As i would drive it all the time around town and such... 
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by <strong>jeeperkyle46 jeeperkyle46 wrote:

if my jeep got up to 63 mph.... i would love it!  As i would drive it all the time around town and such... 

and i would like to run my tricycle in the next soapbox derby.....

60+mph in a 2A would scare the hell outta me :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

downrangeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downrangeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 11:49pm
It was in a m38a1, cj2a might be a different story.  All was uneventful in a straight line.
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2008 at 1:07am
Back in the late 60's I would run my 2A with an overdrive and I would peg the needle on long highway downgrades.  Sorry to say I would also draft behind trucks, now that was fun and crazy but heck I was 17 at the time.  Ahh the good ol days.  Now I am afraid to get it much above 50 with my overdrive, it seem like it will fly apart.  Ah the good ol man days.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2008 at 2:52am
just for straightaways ans such... but not ALL THE TIME>.. going that fast...

55mph would be better off for me but not close to 65... as that would be scaryyyyyyyyyy

but to have an overdrive would be great in my rig...

since i am going to go with 34x10.50 LTBs   so my gearing will be pretty decent.. but the OD would help for running around to get to the next expedition....
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2008 at 3:56am
Originally posted by jeeperkyle46 jeeperkyle46 wrote:

since i am going to go with 34x10.50 LTBs   so my gearing will be pretty decent.. but the OD would help for running around to get to the next expedition....

34x10.50's will rub at full turn, it will also rub the fenders with little suspension twist in the rear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2008 at 11:07pm
i make 5 point or 4point turns in the woods already... so really the rubbing doesn't bother me...

they do make the spacers  for just such a case that 4wd.com (4wd hardware) and quadratec sell for about 99.99 

so i might get a set for the front... but the rear tires and the twist I'll just have to see...
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2008 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Dez Dez wrote:

Originally posted by jeeperkyle46 jeeperkyle46 wrote:

34x10.50's will rub at full turn, it will also rub the fenders with little suspension twist in the rear

i have rub with the NR 78x15s already ... the spacer will help

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_002.htm
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Post Reply Post Reply