Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch drag/grind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch drag/grind
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2008 at 11:02pm
OK  my clutch SOMETIMES grinds when IN gear (any gear) and pedal depressed and engine revs over 1K-ish

I opened the inspection cover  and can see the clutch disk "chattering" a wee bit and moveing slightly, it should be staying put with pedal down should it not?

linkage is adjusted properly

clutch rod is 10.5 long

I can see the release fork is pulled back as far as it can with pedal depressed  so i cant adjust it for more pull  Im not maxed out in cable adjustment

this has been fine for the last 400 miles  and now all of the sudden it does this  but NOT all the time

Ive changed nothing

it can go days without doing it

it shifts fine   never slips  only grinds when i mis-shift

any ideas??

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2008 at 12:53am
  Could be throw-out bearing   or the springs in the clutch plate are sprung (worn) out
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2008 at 1:07am
 bearing is ok  I thought that 1st too

how can i check the springs?  how can you tell if they are bad
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2008 at 1:18am
 I have taken a long screwdriver and made my way through the inspection plate and clutch to the springs and then tried to move them from side to side...they should be tight ..one could be busted in half ..I am not saying this is your problem but sounds like you got one ...I would hate to say put in a complete new set-up before I found the problem..
  I had a flywheel bearing wear out and it made all kinds of noise ..didnt know it was that until I tore everything apart..clutch ,plate,t-out bearing was okay just the flywheel brass shim
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
PeterC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2008 at 2:11pm
Where is this inspection plate?
contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2008 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by PeterC PeterC wrote:

Where is this inspection plate?

remove the shifter cover plate and it is on the bellhouseing
doug1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2009 at 11:11pm
Contact148, I am having the exact same problem.   I even pulled the engine, put in new clutch plate and disc and throw out bearing.  Used a timken quality bearing.   Problem cured, drove about 300 miles and now the same intermittent problem has returned.   It seems to first occur when I am downshift from 3rd to 2nd with clutch depressed, especially if I goose the throttle just a bit with the clutch depressed.   Then once I get it to making the noise, it will keep making it every time I have the clutch depressed and I goose the throttle a bit.   Did you ever figure out the cause or fix the problem.   This has me baffled.   I have plenty of 90 weight gear lube in the case and tranny so low oill is not the problem.
Doug
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 12:36pm
QUOTE=contact148]OK  my clutch SOMETIMES grinds when IN gear (any gear) and pedal depressed and engine revs over 1K-ish

I opened the inspection cover  and can see the clutch disk "chattering" a wee bit and moveing slightly, it should be staying put with pedal down should it not?
[/QUOTE/

It sounds like the bushing in the flywheel is worn and letting the shaft wander
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

doug1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 2:03pm
Ok thanks a million, a chattering disc makes perfect sense.  I will check to see if the clutch disck is chattering.  That is exactly what it sounds like.    The only problem is what is causing it.   I just put in a brand new pilot bushing.   It was doing it before on a brand new pilot bushing.     My engine was running a little rough and vibrating due to a partially blown head gasket which I just discovered.   I am changing the head gasket now.   I wonder if the engine vibration alone , without a worn pilot bushing, could be enough to get the clutch disc chattering.    I do not think the tranny is bad it was rebuilt a thousand miles ago, I believe there is a new bearing at the front of the tranny and I do not think the bearing at the input shaft is bad.     
Doug
doug1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:57am
I found the solution to this a long time ago but never posted the solution.  The pilot bushing once driven into the flywheel is reduced in size to the point that it sometimes grabs or seizes on the tip of the input shaft.  This causes the input shaft to be spun even when the clutch is depressed.  With the clutch depressed, the friction plate is floating loose.  Add the spinning input shaft and the friction plate vibrates on the shaft.    The quick solution was to very carefully with some lightweight oil lubricate the tip of the shaft until it worked into the bushing and loosened up.  The proper solution in the future is to check the inside diameter of the pilot bushing and test fit the input shaft after the bushing is driven into the flywheel. 
Doug
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 4:53am
Wow Doug, great follow up. Tell me it didn't take 8 years to find it!?
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
doug1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 3:32pm
No just a couple of months but I have not been active on this site and I saw this pop up on a google search and I thought I would post the solution since I hate it when people post a problem and then never post the solution.  Kind of like watching a murder mystery and not seeing the last ten minutes.    I usually tried to always post solutions once found.   www.flatfenderfever.com

Edited by doug1953 - 14 May 2017 at 3:35pm
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply