Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BODY BOLTS-MOUNTING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BODY BOLTS-MOUNTING
    Posted: 16 Sep. 2008 at 5:26pm

If you click on them it should take you to the webshots album where they are stored and you can look at the pic full size. Note there is no mention of the shoulder bolts used on the rear , and the different washer part numbers of the same size.  

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in washer 5455 and 50921?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2008 at 6:13pm
Bill,
Which parts book is that? I have a '49 and it lists flat washer 52819 for the 3/8" bolts and 53735 for the 5/16" bolts. Also it lists the 54132 BOLT, step as going in the #5 position. It also breaks down the bolt, nut, and washers individually by position 1-6.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2008 at 7:05pm
It is the 1945 book.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 2:15pm
The books all "tell a different story".  You often need to reference all 3 of them to got the whole picture.   Check the parts database for 2nd. & 3rd editions for full details.

Culled from all lists (click to enlarge):

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 4:24pm
Nice work, Sean!  Can you tell me what the different flat washers are for in position 3A and 3B??

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 8:11pm
Bill,
I'm going to guess that's because of the fuel tank, 3a wouldn't have a flat washer under the head for clearance reasons, while 3b wouldn't matter since it's in the toolbox. (mind you this is just a guessLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 3:46pm
Bill, sorry, I missed your question back then!
Quote Can you tell me what the different flat washers are for in position 3A and 3B??
3A is under the gas tank.  It's not a through-hole, notice there's no "nut" for it.

There's a captive nut in the hat channel, this shorter (1") screw threads into the hat channel nut w/only 1 flat washer.

Technically, this might be considered a "screw", not a "bolt".

Sean
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 4:34pm
Well, that explains a lot, didn't know there was a captive nut there originally (that section of hat channel was missing on mine. I ended up using a carriage bolt on mine. Not going to change it now though.LOL 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 5:01pm
You guys are somethin' Clap

I'm almost at the same point. two more coats of paint on the tube and it goes on the frame.
Thanks,
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2008 at 4:26pm
Thank You Sean ! 
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2010 at 2:33pm
Hi Guys.  I'm new to the forum, and here's my first question.
The frame I'm using on my 2a doesn't have holes in it at station one for the through bolt.  I do however have a short bracket that I think connects between the side of the frame and the vertical support attached to the firewall/kickboard of the body tub. 

Were some of these jeeps made using only these brackets and no through bolts at station 1?

I'm tempted to drill the frame to use through bolts, as described in Sean's post (nice post, Sean!), but am wondering if there is a more correct way to attach the body tub on this particular frame.  seems that if there aren't any holes in the frame, there's a reason for it.

If there wasn't any through bolt used at station 1 on this jeep, and only the side brackets were used, then what would hold the anti-squeak pad in place between the body and the frame?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2010 at 12:50am
 It's a little small but the bolt goes through the rubber placed between the frame and bracket.
Dave
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2010 at 1:31am
Sean's pic is deceiving, his #1 is actually referencing the tabs that stick down the side.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2010 at 2:56pm

You are right, Lowenuf.  When I zoomed in in his picture I can see the tabs.  That answers that question.  Thank you!

I only have on of the "tabs", and it is not attached to the body.  Looks like it was spot-welded in place (there are four dimples that look like broken spot welds).  So far, I haven't seen that little tab/bracket listed anywhere as an available part.  Do any of you know it they are available, and from whom?

Worst case, I can make a functional replacement, but won't look absolutely correct to anyone who gets down there and looks closely.  Would prefer to get a correct one, if anyone knows where they can be procured.

Glad I checked with you guys before drilling holes in my framefor through bolts.

Thanks again for the help!

gearhead
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 7:05am
Further to the issue bolts, screws & shims etc I have a question related to  shipments from USA.

As most overseas/european CJ2a restorers are easily getting only metric screws etc in local shops what about the following?
Is there a suppliers who would sell a " total body/chassis" package of bolts, nuts etc?
I do not think anyone would mind if the package would have surplus 2-8 bolts extra so as to fit a wider range of years of production e.g. 1946-1950...this would anable all "connoseurs to have the right length of bolt" for just his/her cj2a jeep.
At leas I would like to buy a package for my 1947 cj2a if thyere would be a supplier who could supply other cj2a products in same shipment.  In fact this would save a lot of time.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 5:50pm
I don't know of any "bolt packages" for 2A's, I have seen them for WWII Jeeps though. This question has come up before and I don't recall any post that nailed down a supplier. The WWII sets would satisfy most of the size requirements, but the finish would be "wrong" (if that's even a concern) and the tend to be pricey because of the "correct" head markings and finishes.  I guess you could go through the Parts Book and make up a list, I've often thought about that, but then contemplated the time that would be required and gave up.LOL Of course for me, SAE bolts are only a short drive to the supply house. In the end, I don't have a good answer for you. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2010 at 7:31pm
Gale,
Sean has already started the list...just look at his picture.  All you need to do is add the proper lettering to each line indicating the letter head stamp for each bolt and your done!LOL
Simple!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Schute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2011 at 4:11pm

I guess I am still a little confused (nothing new for me)...

I understand that in Sean's picture above, station 1 is pointing to the tabs that mount the body to the side of the frame.  My confusion is with the hole in the hat channel in that same area.  It seems like there should be a bolt that holds the hat channel to the body but wouldn't that prevent the hat channel from sitting flat on the frame?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>