Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

STARTER PROBLEMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STARTER PROBLEMS
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 4:10pm
Wow ...everything has been storybook perfect since I finshed my restore...til last nite, we went out for dinner last nite and I drove the 2a...when leaving I hit the ignition and the starter engaged but would not  turn the engine over...so I tried to push start the jeep, no go the starter drive was frozen... engaged to the flywheel.

So I took it out and as soon as I removed it the bendix released and all was well ...except I noticed the teeth on the starter were knocked off about a 1/4" back from the end of the gear and I know now it froze up because there was a small piece of one  of these teeth caught between the starter gear and the ring gear on the flywheel.

My question is what caused it... the jeep has less than 125 miles on it and probably hasn't been starter 75 times. Is this wear typical? Is the gear engaging too soon...should I shim the starter out slightly...should I bevel off the gear at it's front edge?

As best I know the starter has been bolted solidly...the ring gear looks fine...

Can this gear be turned around and remounted on the shaft...???

I really dislike standing in parking lots after dinner disassembling the starter with a small pair of water pump pliersAngry...(not a problem if i were in the woods stuck in a 3' puddle...because you expect it then).LOL
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 5:01pm
Monte.
First thing I would check is that you have the proper number of teeth on the starter to match the flywheel ring gear. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but a search should give you the combinations. I know there were different sets and mismatches aren't an uncommon occurrence. The starter may have been replaced with one that has a drive gear that doesn't match. They will work for a while, but wear quickly.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 5:45pm
Somewhere I read there is a bushing in the bell housing that can cause binding?   I know mine hasn't been replaced and I need to look at it.

Steve
Ames, IA
monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 7:42pm
Ok here's the deal...

Note: the ring gear is a 97 tooth and is good shape (no teeth missing hardly any wear)
the starter gear is 10 tooth.

Check out the wear on the leading edge of the bendix gear.

The bushing inside the bell housing is new...someone told me the 9 tooth gears were on the "foot actuated" starters ...is that true? the reason I ask is this was a foot actuated in the past and I changed it to an ignition start...could this be the problem?

One more question ...it would appear as tho  the teeth are engaging all the way...would it do any good to taper the ends of the teeth so it's not beating itself to death when engaging...the reason it froze up in the ring gear was a small piece broke of and jammed between the teeth...once I took the starter out it released the bendix.

Let me know what you think ...thanks... Monte

Edited by monte - 24 Sep. 2008 at 7:48pm
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 8:00pm
According to past posts, the 10 tooth starter is correct for a 97 tooth ring gear.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 8:04pm
Well, since your's is a 97/10 it would seem to eliminate that possibility, every starter drive gear I've ever seen was already beveled on the leading edges of the teeth. Did you have the starter rebuilt? From your pictures it almost looks like the starter is spinning before it fully engages the ring gear, maybe these are supposed to do this, modern ones don't. Maybe a malfunctioning bendix drive? Just tossing some ideas out.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2008 at 11:45pm
I just checked an extra starter I had and it also has 10t. Just something I'd try, put some grease on the starter teeth. Maybe they are just fitting thight since they are new.

Edited by Ritt - 24 Sep. 2008 at 11:46pm
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2008 at 2:43am
   12 Volt?
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply