Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum vs. electric wipers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum vs. electric wipers?
    Posted: 17 Nov. 2008 at 5:27pm

Hello fellow jeepers,

I would like to use vacuum wipers, as I am trying to maintain originality as much as possible on the restoration of my arctic hard top.  I'm finding that the wiper motor I have only works when decelerating or at idol. It is a NOS vacuum motor that works freely.

Now, can I use a double action fuel pump on the 2A?  (I have the engine mount the folds backwards) 

Will a double action fuel pump give adequate performance; assume I can bolt one on?

I was told the six volt electric wiper motor will also give disappointing performance.  Can any of you speak on the performance of the 6-volt wiper motor?

Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2008 at 5:37pm
Don,
Sounds like your wiper motor is working normally (yes, that's the way they worked) I don't think the dual function pump will work, that's why they changed the front motor mounts on the 3A (clearance for the pump) I don't know why the 6V wiper performance would be "disappointing" if everything is properly connected (and grounded) they should work like any other electric motor (maybe they put a 12v motor on a 6v system?). Another idea is to add a vacuum reservoir into the system, this would give some extra vacuum when engine vacuum is low, I've thought about this but haven't done it.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
cjric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2008 at 6:45pm
what about using a vacc. canister like they do on newer vehicles?  The one in my truck looks like a coffee can.  Just plumb it in line w/ a check valve so any built up vacc. doesnt go away when the engine vacc. drops.  It wont help make more, but might make the vacc. pulling your wipers a little more consistant.
flathead 3b
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2008 at 10:35pm
I started with a 6v electric and it worked   v  e  r  y    s  l  o  w  l  y  , but doesn't stop when accelerating. I went to a vacuum motor and it works just as as yours does. I'm keeping the vacuum for orginallity.

I got spoiled with the modern multi speed wipers on modern cars, but back in the day, one just didn't count on a wiped WS when accelerating.

Bob
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
http://picasaweb.google.com/home
dgregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2008 at 11:14pm

I have a new idea for supplying continuous vacuum for wiper motors.  My mechanic neighbor suggested using a vaccum pump from a '95 chevy 6.5 L diesel truck. The pump is supposed to be very small, so I should be able to make it fit on the left side and use the extra pully to drive it.  I'm going to look into this and see if I can make this work.

Don
'48 CJ2A
'80 TR7
'80 TR8
''95 MX5
rballagh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rballagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2008 at 11:22pm
I remember my Dad telling me the story of trying to get his 3A to pass the motor vehicle inspection.  One of the criteria was working windshield wipers. He would rev the engine then drop to idle - he said the wiper would slowly move from one side to the other.  He passed! and has driven the jeep ever since!

Keep us posted on the new experiment.  I'm interested to see how it works.

Ryan
48 CJ2A #176544 "Rodeo Red"
Mixed salad CJ3A mostly

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2008 at 12:00am
You could also put an electric vacuum pump in. Not sure if they're available in 6v though.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2008 at 3:38am
Guys,
While a vacumn wiper will slow or stop during hard acceleration it should work while on the gas for a steady pull from a light.  If you have a NOS unit it probably is all sticky inside.  I have a NOS unit on my "47 but it was redone by the wiperman and it works great.  At an idle or fast throttle it goes back and forth very fast.  At hard acceleration it will slow to what a modern low speed setting would be or momentarly stop or creep.  I would redo it or have it done for you and I think you would be happy.
One of the biggest attractions of my jeep is folks get a big kick out of the vacumn wiper and the manual one one the passenger side!
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
cdeclercq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdeclercq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2008 at 11:40pm
Yes, go for the reservoir.  I grabbed on off early 70's chevy anything that is almost like an apple juice can, looks kindof like it belongs there.  You could also try one from the mid 60's jeep, its a spherical setup that would look real stock.  The one on mine makes all the difference, but you still have to give it some vacuum once and a while, and with the GO-DEVIL engine, who ever lets off the gas?  Hence the reason to go with an electric.
 Post Reply Post Reply