Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did anyone know?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did anyone know?
    Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 1:44am

I was playing around in the barn and was looking a one of my jeeps and notice the motor sits about 6 in"off center toward the drivers side. No wonder the Willys has a lean . Just thought that was interesting.......

Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Keith.Tracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith.Tracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 3:31am
Yeah, pretty crazty offset under there!

When I was installing the V6 I had to cut the transmission crossmember and move it towards the center mor. The bigger engine visually exagerated the offset
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 3:41am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

........... and notice the motor sits about 6 in"off center toward the drivers side.

LOL  LOL  LOL You restoration guys kill me !!  See, there's a little more to this 'modification' thing than just a torch and a bigger hammer. LOL  LOL  LOL  (this is great!)

Now, figure out where the rear diff would have to be if it weren't.Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 20 Nov. 2008 at 3:43am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 2:26pm

[/QUOTE]

LOL  LOL  LOL You restoration guys kill me !!  See, there's a little more to this 'modification' thing than just a torch and a bigger hammer. LOL  LOL  LOL  (this is great!)

[/QUOTE]

Smart Ass Big smile
Im not a restorer Im a parts guy Wink
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Smart Ass Big smile
Im not a restorer Im a parts guy Wink

Still funny though ! LOL

And yes, I agree, the reason for the 'lean' is built in.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 4:34pm
So now...since the result of that design was the lean to the driver's side, what would have been involved, had they offset the motor to the other side? Rear diff would have to have been flipped, transfer case would have to be on the other side, etc....would it work if that had happened? Would everything have still cleared? (I'm betting that there was some other reason that the motor was offset to this side, rather than it having been an arbitrary choice.)
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 4:59pm
The transfer case isn't made to be "flipped".....but if you're asking would it have worked if it was 'designed' that way (i.e. motor offset to pass. side and transfer case drop to the driver side) then I guess it would have worked but it wasn't designed that way.  They did change all that when they designed a 'straight through' transfer case...

I figure they were using stuff that was already 'designed'.

Jack, remember you have a driveshaft going to the front too so where would that differential be.....on the driverside.

I think they were just using something already basically 'designed' and fit it into the package they had.......just my opinion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 5:39pm
This is right to the basics of the design parameters. Roc has it right. The reason for the offset was to clear the engine for the front drive and still maintain required ground clearance.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 6:25pm
Mine only leans when I am in itWink 
Doug
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 7:39pm
It was a theoretical question Roc...I understand that things like the transfer case weren't designed to be mounted on the opposite side, but...what IF they had been? And the front end, etc. I was just wondering if the result would have then been a "lean to the right"...UNTIL, perhaps, the gas tank was filled, and only a driver got in, etc. 

I suspect that you were right, and it was just a matter of "That's the way things have been done, so why would we change it?" <g> (See? I AM something of a "modified fan" too! <g>)

Allen's right...it goes right to the heart of design theory, and having always been one to question things, and esp. if there's a "Better Way", I had to ask...(and that's what architects are supposed to do! <g>)
Seeya!

<Jack>

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 7:42pm
And how many months were the military Jeeps supposed to last by design?   If I recall the story, it was fewer than 24. 
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 7:55pm
That's probably a big part of it Sam.....but going with Jack's 'architecture', if I was designing it, it would make more sense in my mind (even if it was designed to always have a passenger) to have the weight 'designed in' to the passenger side. That way, with the offset driveline to the left with the weight of the driver, the load would be more centralized.

Now, Tony, see what you started, we're haviing to redesign the whole damn thing! Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 8:01pm

Yep, I agree, but now it's easier for Jack to stop eating all those peaches and cream.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Jus*Jack Jus*Jack wrote:

It was a theoretical question Roc...I understand that things like the transfer case weren't designed to be mounted on the opposite side, but...what IF they had been? And the front end, etc. I was just wondering if the result would have then been a "lean to the right"...UNTIL, perhaps, the gas tank was filled, and only a driver got in, etc. 

I suspect that you were right, and it was just a matter of "That's the way things have been done, so why would we change it?" <g> (See? I AM something of a "modified fan" too! <g>)

Allen's right...it goes right to the heart of design theory, and having always been one to question things, and esp. if there's a "Better Way", I had to ask...(and that's what architects are supposed to do! <g>)

can't remember where i read it, i think over on the G503 in a thread.....but you might want to research the Willys MA, or Bantam BRC....

one of those had the exact same set-up as our 2A's transfercase, only that it was 180 degrees to the other side :)

low

Edited by lowenuf - 20 Nov. 2008 at 8:33pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 9:39pm
Peaches 'n cream? Me, Sam? (Jealous, are ya? <g>)

Hey Low...there's a story that goes around every once in a while that has to do with how/why our roads are the width they are, or why train rails are a certain distance apart. I'm sure that you've seen it, but to remind ya, it has to do with the width of two horse's asses hooked up to a Roman chariot! 

Well, same sort of principle applies here, I think. If it was good enough for Bantam, or Willys, or whoever, it probably was good enough for something prior to their use of it, as well. Sigh. 

Sometimes, re-inventing the wheel is NOT a bad idea! <g>

And yeah, Tony...it's all YOUR fault!!!! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 10:47pm
Another thought about a "mirror" (opposite) image to the drivetrain would be the clutch, brake, exhaust, steering linkages ect... They could at least put the gas tank under the passanger side.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 10:52pm
Gary, they did on right hand drive models :)  in one of the links of the LIFE pictures is a right hand drive 2A.... also, this summer Tom Wolboldt told me of a 2A in his home area that has a fuel opening on both sides of the tub, and he said the insert sure looked factory... well a few weeks ago, i came a cross a 1946 CJ2A for sale, and i will be damned if it didn't have a fuel opening on each side of the tub.....

anyone else seen one of these vehicles?
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2008 at 11:01pm
I'm going to Kanas City Mo. tommorrow to pick one of these dual tank Jeeps...We'll give you a detailed report. #17xxx. Tongue
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>