Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas tank repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas tank repair
    Posted: 03 July 2015 at 6:23pm
The gas tank on my cj2a is rusted bad I have had to remove metal patches . my question is what is the best way to weld or attache  sheet metal patches? I was thinking about removing the rust, then using solder and sheet metal screws to replace  panels  and then seal with a liquid liner . [Any other suggestion would help]. I know a new tank is not that expensive but every dime saved helps and I don't mined the work, thanks Greg.
Airplanedriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airplanedriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 7:36pm
Well I learned the hard way with the liquid coating inside the tank. I paid a guy to do my old Honda generator fuel tank and apparently he's not using "ethanol" safe material and the tank needs redone again ! The ethanol ate the coating ! I did find another company near me that has the correct material that will hold up to ethanol, fyi
greg3888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 8:33pm
Thank you ,Greg
BobKerr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobKerr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2015 at 3:10pm
Most gas tanks of this age were made from sheet metal called Ternplate. Basicly lead plated steel. Once the plating is gone,it will always have a problem with rust forming. Even if you patch it and resolder, the lead coating will melt as you solder it and it will have a problem in that spot down the road. Years ago I had a tank for a 1929 IH tractor coated. Purple stuff. It peeled up and clogged the filter screen with sheets. Best stuff to use about 10 years ago was this white stuff that they use to coat the fuel tanks in Coleman lanterns.
46 CJ2A, 21 Chevy 490, 23 Oldsmobile 1 ton Truck, 24 Oldsmobile 30-B Sport Touring, 28 Chevy 1 ton truck, 28 Chevy 2 dr Sedan, and lots of 442s and old tractors. Farm Fresh and Road Ready!
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2015 at 7:14pm
I'd replace the tank, it will save you a lot of headaches down the line.

The repop ones from MD Juan are ok now, they sorted the filler pipe issue, but if you got for one of those better make sure its a recent import.

I think you have plenty of choices over there when it comes to replacements.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
greg3888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 2:39am
Thanks to everybody I value everybody's  input. I do think I am going to make an attempt  at rebuilding the tank I am retired and have the time . As for the liner I am going with Red-Kote I have some friends that restore tractors and have been told it works well. Thanks ,Greg
4x4Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4x4Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 2:43am
I used Red-Kote on mine and have had no issues as of yet.  We'll see in the long run how it holds up.
Tucker

51 CJ3A with the front end of a 2A and a Ford V8.
 Post Reply Post Reply