Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GL5 gear oil in transmission - strange color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GL5 gear oil in transmission - strange color
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:47pm
When I replaced the output shaft seals on my transfer case, I refilled both the transmission and transfer case with GL4/GL5 gear oil.  I says it is intended for hypoid gears but also had the GL4 rating.  The guy on the desk told me no problem, it will work well......

Subsequently, I have read up a lot about gear oils and realized that just because it has the GL4 spec, it does not mean it is OK for yellow metal components (i.e. synchro rings).  I also found out that the MT-1 rating that it had also means DEFINITELY NOT FOR Synchro transmissions.

I went to NAPA and UAP and they both insisted that the GL5 was OK.  I said that I wanted GL1 mineral oil or at the very least true GL4 gear oil.  I then went and checked in a mirror since they looked at me like I had grown 2 heads or something Big smile Dead.  At NAPA, I found some Pennzoil GL4 gear oil on the shelf.  The clerk said he did not know what it was for.  They also had some Pennzoil Synchromesh oil, but I determined from the web that this is really only for specific GM and Chrysler vehicles (has low viscosity).

I did find a great resource about Pennzoil Products at http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/handbook_pennzoil.pdf.  It talks about the GL4 (page 298) and Synchromesh gear oil (page 292).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I bought the Pennzoil GL4 and changed out my transmission and transfer case.  When I drained the GL5 it had a very strange (gold /  yellow) color as shown in the following picture.  I am wondering if this is parts of my synchro rings????Shocked

http://www.visualsc.com/GL5_gear_oil.jpg

I would not have expected too much damage from the GL5 gear oil as I changed it in the fall, and except for about 10 miles of driving, it sat in the cold garage all winter.  I strained some of the oil through a coffee filter so when it is totally drained, I will see if there are any particles.

I will drive it around with the GL4 for a few miles and then change it out again.  Might try finding some GL1 Mineral Oil when I go to the big city if you guys think that is better or have any concerns with the GL4.
Bill Johnson
Cold Lake, Alberta (Summer)
1947 CJ2A Serial #: 191131
Gold Canyon, Arizona (Winter)
1974 CJ5 304 V8
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:58am
Their has been allot of talk about these oils. I went to NAPA and they had some GL1 oil in gallons. If I remember right the part number was 65-201. I don't have the sales sheet in front of me but I know it was in the discussion that was on the page. Someone else found a yellow tint when they drained their oil. My red jeep has had the GL4/5 in it for about 2 years and when I get the chance I am going to drain it and put GL1 oil back in. I didn't know anything about the different oils until the discussion a few weeks back. I will try and strain the oil also to see what I find.

Pat
bjbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:04am
Unfortunately up here in the "Great White North" The stock #65-201 isn't valid at Canadian NAPA stores.
Bill Johnson
1974 CJ5 304 V8
captnjody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captnjody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 3:24am
Straight mineral gear oil...or an oil that's brass/bronze compatible. Unless you have lots of money and can afford rebuilds..its that simple.
1951 CJ-3A "Johnny Reb"
1948 BTC-3
1946 CJ-2A; 16004; column shift
1970 Deuce "Jacks Revenge"
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:11am
what he said (captjody)

Rick

it seems to attack yellow metals pretty quickly too. :(
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:49am
It is important to check with the manufacturer of the oil to see if their GL4/5 oil is brass compatible. Sometimes you can find it on line and sometimes you have to email them.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 1:13am
bjbear--- Go to napaonline.com and type in 65201 and see what it brings up and maybe their is a way to check if any store close might have it.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 4:33pm
I called my local NAPA store. They didn't have it (gl-1, pn# 65201)  in the store, but got it delivered from the wharehouse by the afternoon. The guy there said he has sold more GL-1 in the last few months than in the last 20 years.

Edited by smfulle - 17 May 2012 at 4:34pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
FlaJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlaJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:38pm

My CJ has been sitting for months because I couldn't find anything but GL-5. But I called my Napa store yesterday and they ordered it and it was here first thing this morning. Thanks guys!

(FWIW $13.65/gallon w/o tax).

Joe
FlaJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlaJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Pat T. Pat T. wrote:

bjbear--- Go to napaonline.com and type in 65201 and see what it brings up and maybe their is a way to check if any store close might have it.

None of the stores in my area carried it in stock. If you go to Napa's site, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=65-201&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=65-201&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0,  and put in the PN it will let you select a "local" store and check their price and availability.  There's also a link on their site that you can click and it will ask for your zip code and it will then show you all the nearby stores. Select one, and it will how if they have it in stock and the price. It will also give the the option to "reserve" it and pick it up in the future but I haven't played with that so I'm not sure how it works.

I called my local store and had them order it and they went ahead and ordered it without requiring me to come in and pay for it in advance or even asking my name and other information!
Joe
bjbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by FlaJoe FlaJoe wrote:

Originally posted by Pat T. Pat T. wrote:

None of the stores in my area carried it in stock. If you go to Napa's site, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=65-201&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=65-201&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0,  and put in the PN it will let you select a "local" store and check their price and availability.  There's also a link on their site that you can click and it will ask for your zip code and it will then show you all the nearby stores. Select one, and it will how if they have it in stock and the price. It will also give the the option to "reserve" it and pick it up in the future but I haven't played with that so I'm not sure how it works.

I called my local store and had them order it and they went ahead and ordered it without requiring me to come in and pay for it in advance or even asking my name and other information!

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I am up in Canada, and NAPA does not carry the product here.  The part # 65201 or 65-201 does not work.  Not to worry though, I will find some.  Both Esso and Shell apparently have a GL-1 Mineral oil so as soon as I can locate one, I will get a dealer to order me some.
Bill Johnson
1974 CJ5 304 V8
hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 3:47pm
Here in Manitoba there is a company called Oil Mart and they sell GL1 in 5 gallon pails for around $70, check to see if they are in your area also. The name on the container is Extreme and it,s out of Kansas I believe. 
jeep - the toughest four letter word on wheels
 Post Reply Post Reply