Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good old days.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good old days.
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 3:25pm
I sure miss the good old days when a mans word was his bond! A day when honesty was worth more than money........I recently learned that no matter how well you feel you know someone,if you are buying something,( even from a fellow member) be sure to get it in writing.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 4:25pm
This works both ways too. When trying to sell things on Craigslist, I would get people wanting whatever I was selling. They always wanted to buy buy it, assured me they were on their way, blah blah blah.. I end up waiting around for a no show/no call.

Note: Ron (Oldwillys) and I have never had sold or bought anything from each other ( As far as I can remember) This is not a "reply" to his post or anything of that nature.

I've also had things sold out from under me. I was 1.5 hours into driving to look at a Jeep when I got a text telling me he just sold it. Angry

I talked with that seller everyday for a week, telling him my plans to come look at it on the weekend. Weekend finally arrives, I call him that morning before leaving for his place and he tells me "see you in 2.5 hours....."
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 4:42pm
I've had that happen on a 2 post lift.  Was halfway into a 2 hour drive, get a text that it sold.  Talked to him multiple times.

Friend and I had plans to drive 400 miles to buy a bus, day before they say it's sold.

It happens. 

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to shipping things to me from far away craigslist ads.  I figure one of these times I'll get burned, hopefully not bad.

1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 6:43pm
I put this out there to remind folks that you can get burned anywhere,Anytime,and even by folks you may even know.I won't mention the name of the person,they hopefully have thought about what they did,and will not do this again to anyone.Our agreement was mutual,we were able to contact each other at any time,it was not a no show on my part,our agreement was made to benefit both of us.
    I will not mention this again,and it really doesn't sting because of the lost transaction,it is the dishonesty that disappoints me the most.i will mention,I have had dealings with more than a few members here,and have been treated square and honest.but dang,one bad apple.

robplumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 8:08pm
I just last night I got a message, not even a call that the deal we had agreed upon was off. He decided he wanted more money to do the deal. This is after long negotiations, discussions and coming to a final agreement. I was excited, made room in the garage. Hooked up the trailer and I get the message that unless I pay more the deal is off.
I'm from the school where my word is gold. I would never back out of any agreement. But sadly some don't feel the same way.
1953 cj3a modified
1947 cj2a stock and beautiful
1998 xj lifted
1999 xj stock
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 9:08pm
I recently posted on the WillysM page a situation I endured. I was the part seller and did my best to represent the part honestly. The buyer either mis-understood or ignored my communication and he walked away mad after the sale. I, however, walked away with my good reputation intact. Still, I didn't feel good about it. My buying and selling in "Willys World" has been overwhelming 99.999% positive
and I have made some lasting friendships along the way but it just takes 1 negative experience to make a guy question all that.. Honesty and communication mean everything here..

Edited by RICKG - 26 Feb. 2015 at 9:12pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

My buying and selling in "Willys World" has been overwhelming 99.999% positive

I agree. I have had parts sent to me and told to pay when I can. Also had parts sent to me in trade for what I have, that they are not in a super hurry to receive.  ( Sorry it is taking so long Lee! Embarrassed)
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 3:57am
Overall my buying / selling / trading has been positive when dealing with Jeep parts but the biggest screwing I have ever received period was from a member here. One thing I like about this forum is the lack of drama so I never mentioned it on the page.    (Not anyone in this post). Not sure if that was the right or wrong thing to do and I hope others were not screwed because I didn't call him out. It's been over a year now and I have not seen him post in a long time so hopefully he is out of the hobby.
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 1:26pm
I have been completely satisfied with every transaction I've had with members of this board and the CJ3B page.
I've even had members drop off the item for shipping even before I've had time to mail the check.
Locally though is another story.
I looked at a DJ once that was advertised as "runs great." No battery and the driveshaft was out of it. I asked when the last time he had it running was and he told me he'd never heard it run. He was just going off what the previous owner had told him.
Drove an hour and a half one time to look at a CJ described by the guy over the phone as in "good condition" for $1800. It had been sitting in a field for at least 40 years. Body totally gone, frame rotted and parts gone from the motor. Had a tree about 4 inches in diameter growing through the cargo area. It's only value was in scrap.
I'm still pestering a local guy to complete a sale on a 2A. We agreed on a price about 6 months ago but he can never find time to complete the deal. He hasn't backed out yet, and every time I talk with him he seems eager to sell for the agreed-upon price but then says he'll get back with me in a few days. He never does.
People seem different these days. My father always taught me that a man's word is all he really has in life that can't be taken by someone else. I've always tried to live by that and know many others that do as well.
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Oldwillys Oldwillys wrote:

I sure miss the good old days when a mans word was his bond! A day when honesty was worth more than money........I recently learned that no matter how well you feel you know someone,if you are buying something,( even from a fellow member) be sure to get it in writing.

Unfortunately this stuff happens in life. It is to bad that a hobby turns sour once in a while but it happens. People change there minds and situations change. You should call this fellow out if it going to do the rest of us any good if that is your intent. Maybe he is a stinker or maybe he can explain his side?
As far as I can tell the good old days are still here at the CJ2A Page. For the most part the good guys prevail. In fact I have had so many Page members step up and send items to me (no charge). They only ask that I "Pay It Forward". Other members have sold items at ridiculously low prices, knowing full well that they could make the big cash score but would rather help out a fellow JEEP enthusiast. Once they made the deal they stuck to it. These are the good guys I want to remember and there are plenty here at the 2APage.

Edited by 3-48s - 27 Feb. 2015 at 3:17pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 3:29pm
I posted about my misfortune,purposely excluding the name of the member.My goal is to make everyone aware to be watchful.As I stated earlier,our agreement was to allow this gentleman to keep a cab on a parts jeep through the winter to protect the interior and such from the elements.In return,he stated that he desired no payment for fear it might become damaged while in his possession.Our agreement also was that if he needed funding for another endevour,I would pay the full price,but I agreed to still allow him to keep the cab for protection untill better weather.
     During a recent Pm,I mentioned that if he needed payment,I would be more than happy to deliver it,and I would still allow him to keep the cab as we agreed.It was then,he decided to tell me that two weeks earlier he had sold everything,yet never felt obligated to call or Pm me to talk about our agreement.Again,this could have all been solved had I just bought it and removed it originally.I kept my word,I Acually have a jeep for the cab that I kept covered with plastic,to allow him to keep his protected.
     With that said,I dealt with a member ( one I had never met ) for several months on a cab.We agreed to a price,but a situation on his part prevented our closing the deal.many months passed with little contact,yet this member,reconnected,apologizing for the extended delay.He kept his word,and agreed to make what would have been a long drive for me shorter,by meeting me half way.We met him and his wife in a Wendy's parking lot ,did the deal and parted ways.I also dealt with another member on a cab,who graciously delivered the cab as he was passing through on business.We had never met,we met at a McDonald's ,had coffee and a burger,and talked jeep.
     So,yes there are still men of their word out there,I thank them,and commend them.it's the one bad apple that causes anger and mistrust to rear its ugly head,but here's to all the honorable folks who keep their word......may you get all the good deals!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

This works both ways too. When trying to sell things on Craigslist, I would get people wanting whatever I was selling. They always wanted to buy buy it, assured me they were on their way, blah blah blah.. I end up waiting around for a no show/no call.

Note: Ron (Oldwillys) and I have never had sold or bought anything from each other ( As far as I can remember) This is not a "reply" to his post or anything of that nature.

I've also had things sold out from under me. I was 1.5 hours into driving to look at a Jeep when I got a text telling me he just sold it. Angry

I talked with that seller everyday for a week, telling him my plans to come look at it on the weekend. Weekend finally arrives, I call him that morning before leaving for his place and he tells me "see you in 2.5 hours....."

Wow that would make me so mad. Angry
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 4:55pm
I've been 'collecting' for 40 years, so I tend to know what is common and what is rare, what is a good deal and what is not.

My recent experiences of someone saying "Oh gosh, I just sold it" was that it was never their part to start with. They knew someone else that had one and agreed to give them a deal, and they were just the middleman.  So they were selling a part they never owned.

OR

Example - Crates of NEW Windshield frames and NEW 12V starters. I got an email asking if I wanted one. I immediately answered YES!.  A few minutes later I got an email saying the post should have said "good as new" 12V starters. Just give me a few weeks to rebuild them..., or I bought a crate of windshield frames. I never said they were new...

I wasn't burned, but it taught me who to be careful with.
(By the way, that guy is a friend of mine and I trade with him weekly now that I understand the lingo and know to watch him like a hawk...)

Edited by Joe Friday - 27 Feb. 2015 at 4:57pm
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 5:07pm
Then there's the term "correct", it means one thing to some, something else to others and IMHO is used way too often and loosely. Be sure to define the word whether buying or selling.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 5:19pm
I love it when you try to sell something on craigslist and somebody say's "whats your bottom dollar?" and I say "you haven't even looked at it yet!".  I usually tell the people that I will not negotiate until they are physically there looking at the item I'm selling and have cash in hand.  I have had people tell me they are looking for a father son project and I should sell it to them cheaper!! 
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 5:28pm
67Charger: I like that last sentence, never thought of it before, so if it's a Grandpa-Granddaughter project I should ask for a larger discount? Gary LOL
gostby
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 7:02pm
I feel like if somebody will take the time and show up I would cut them a deal even if they didn't have a kid or grand kid because at least they took the time to show up.  That's why you always put the asking price higher so you have room for grand kids and kids haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply