Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep gets dirty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep gets dirty
    Posted: 14 Mar. 2015 at 11:08pm
After my winter project of replacing all the floors, we decided to go out for an early ride. We went to a above a little town in Southern Idaho called Clifton population 400 and something. My cousin grew up there. Here a shot before we hit the snow line. Two back from me you can see a Ranger and if you look close, it has tracks n it. More about that later. 

Once we hit the snow line, the trouble started for me. It was a warm day and where the snow was deep on the road, it had a bout a 2 - 3 inch layer of ice. Probably from melting and freezing along with snowmobile traffic that had been by.  Underneath the ice the snow was really soft. The big jeeps with the big balloon tires were able to stay on top of it. I wasn't.  If I broke through I was instantly stuck. The snow was deep enough and soft enough underneath that I would be hung up, chained up rear wheels pretty much hanging in the air. I could spin the tires with my hand like I had jacked it up.

That tracked Ranger had no troubles at all. It was really petty cool to see him just go anywhere he wanted. Also, him put a strap on me and pulled me out several times.

Here's a couple of shots where I wasn't stuck. I didn't take any stuck pictures, but the others did. If I get them, I will post them up.

Here  you can see the Ranger with the tracks pretty clearly.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2015 at 11:58pm
So did the front locker do anything for you?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 1:39am
Looks like a good time....  beats a day at the office....
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 2:00am
It looks like you had a lot of fun. Keep it up.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 4:46am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

So did the front locker do anything for you?

The front locker was pretty much a non factor this time, unless it maybe made it so I could get extra stuck. The crust over the snow just would not hold up to the narrow NDTs. I was wishing I had some dual wheels. I think I could have stayed on top of it then.

A side note on the locker. I'm not super happy with how it is performing. The installation instructions say that the gap between the two halves of the unit should be between .145 and .170 inch. Even after I installed new side gear thrust washers, mine still measured out to .173 inch. It seems that .003 inch really does matter because it seems that one axle will ratchet at random times and the steering will pull. I tried to put an extra washer on one side and couldn't get the unit together. It was too tight. I'd like to find some thicker thrust washers, but I don't even know where to start. I suppose I could try a different carrier.

If I can't get it sorted I'll probably put the spiders back in. I'm kind of bummed about it, especially because we have a trip to southern Utah the first of April and I am really wanting to try the locker out on the red rocks
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 4:53am
If you were putting a locker in, what made you decide on the front axle? Does that make it harder to turn? I would imagine the Jeep still pushing somewhat straight. The guys I've seen running lockers turn them off when they need to make turns.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2015 at 5:03am
Nick,
I have a locker in the back already. These looker I'm using are Lock Right brand and are supposed to ratchet automatically in turns so you don't have the turning issues, at least according to their documentation. My new front one is not working quite correctly, I think and hope it is because my diff carrier is a little bit out of specs and is something that I can fix. Both my cousins rigs have the front spiders welded up and they have a hard time steering, in fact they run most of the time with only on hub locked in, only jumping out to lock both sides when the extra traction is required.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

...Both my cousins rigs have the front spiders welded up and they have a hard time steering, in fact they run most of the time with only on hub locked in, only jumping out to lock both sides when the extra traction is required.

Warn says this is a no-no. Have they managed to break a hub yet?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 12:52am
I would say they would just about have to say that Wink.....they surely couldn't condone it for legal reasons I would think.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 1:47pm
No hubs broken but arm strength tested at times.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply