Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep on Milt's Mile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep on Milt's Mile
    Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 3:35pm
This video is on a trail called Milt's Mile in the Sand Hollow area near ST George Utah. This little crack has crfossed up a lot of people  because of how narrow and steep it is on both sides.  It was really fun. 

On the bad news side. Just after this we were headed back down to find some more rocks to climb and my engine seized up.  Only a couple of hours into a 6 day trip and I'm a passenger.  Oh well. More fun pulling the motor and figuring it out.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 6:52pm
Oh, no! I hope its not too bad.
Rick Estes
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 3:49am
nice going on the obstacle Thumbs Up

Hope the issue isn't too much a killer... besides even if you're not driving you're still jeepin'

Good luck and safe trip
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 10:51am
Impressive video . Keep us posted on your engine woes
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 3:40pm
My cousin blew a tire on his jeep so we went to the local jeep place (Dixie 4 Wheel Drive) to see if we could get lucky and find a take off tire to match the one blown.  While there I was telling them my story of seizing an engine up on the hill and now being a passenger.  They ask "what engine does that have in it?"  When I responded with "the original L head 4 cylinder."  They then walked me back into the shop (all the time I'm thinking "no way he has an L Head back here.) and said, "does look like this one?"

They had a L Head in a demo stand that they rescued from a school that was going to throw it out. He proceded to turn the key and fire it up. After watching it run, he said that they were trying to get rid of it so I bought it and now am in the process of swapping out engines. Making a big mess in my Mom's garage. I might be able to get some runs in this weekend after all. 

Here's some pictures of the engine in the stand and a picture of the markings on the head that I haven't seen before.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 3:54pm
Dang man, did you buy a lottery ticket that day too...!! LOL

The test stand is pretty cool in it's own right, would like to have one like it.

That's great!!
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 4:17pm
  I like stories that have good endings.  That was a great find.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2015 at 7:16pm
WOW, what a find.  That is a cool stand.  I wish I had it.  Maybe you should see about putting it up for sale on the classifieds to see is someone might want it if you don't.
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2015 at 2:59am
very cool and very lucky to find it.
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2015 at 5:38am
Well. I got the motor in and we went for a little test drive back up tgo Milts Mile and did that in the dark. The motor runs great. I don't think that the motor had ever been off of that stand in its lifetime. Not that many hours and never run with a load.  Here's a picture at the top of the trail just before we started back down.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2015 at 1:01pm
That's great news about the engine.
The picture is an unusual one, but I really like the look of it.

I think we all are still curious about the failure of the previous engine though.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2015 at 9:28pm
Serendipity! Or as my Dad would have said "You're so lucky, you could sh_ _ in a swingin' jug!"
Actually, I know you have a lot more than luck going on or you would not have been able to make the engine switch so quickly!
Congrats!
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply