Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grandpa's bumper numbers on...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grandpa's bumper numbers on...
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2014 at 11:28pm
I got my Grandfather's bumper numbers on the front of the CJ2A... 

Cpl. Lester H. Pattee served as a half track driver with 1st Armored, 6 Infantry Regiment, 3 Infantry Battalion, Headquarters Company all through their campaigns in WWII. He was one of the original soldiers to be pulled in to form the Big Red One. He was actually one of the soldiers in line to be discharged from the Army on 7 December, 1941. Instead of being discharged, he received orders to deploy with his division to Ireland, and later to Algiers to participate in Operation Torch. He remained with this unit throughout the war and was discharged at some point after the battle at Anzio.

I've been digging through the wartime photos my mother has, hoping to find good pictures of his actual vehicle markings. Most of them are in blue drab, so they're very difficulty to read. I have noted one change I need to make to the front (already). The numbers should read [1^/6-I  3-I     HQ 161] with the '[]' as ends of the bumper and the ^ as a triangle. I don't have his actual vehicle number, though I know he was Headquarters Company, so I substituted my old bumper number: HQ 161, from Headquarters Company 2/7 Infantry, 24th Infantry Div.

I'm hoping to pick up a pair of used bumperettes at some point, and I'll get the back numbered as well.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 12:36am
Here we go. I should have done the front like this:

I know it's not strictly correct, as the rear markings should be on the bumperettes, but this is how it would have appeared on a HMMWV. On my M113A1, the numbers were stacked on each side, just as on a bumperette.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 2:24am
Very nice. I have a Zenith portable radio that went through the war with Co. D, 1st Med Bn of the Big Red 1.

Larry
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 2:46am
Nice.
I don't know if you are into Pink Floyd at all but Anzio was were Roger Waters father was killed in battle.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 4:27am

Larry, that radio is sweet! Does it still work? My grandpa was also a ham radio operator and in the extensive gear he has is a portable unit, similar to a CB. I'm thinking about getting my license and mounting it in the jeep.

Bretto, I do like Pink Floyd. I didn't know that about his father. I'll have to see if I can find out what unit he was with.

Edited by LesBerg - 23 Aug. 2014 at 5:25am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 12:50pm
While I do restore antique radios I decided it was more important to keep this one in original, as found, condition since I view it more as an historical artifact than an antique radio. I have a show in a couple of weeks and I may take it along and see if there's any interest in it.

Larry
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 1:24pm
Love WW2 vintage stuff. I'd make it work and leave the rest alone. Then find a station that plays WW2 music and think that he heard it on this radio, just as it's playing! Time warp!  Neat stuff guys! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I didn't know that about his father. I'll have to see if I can find out what unit he was with.

He was part of the Royal Fusiliers company Z, Britain's contribution the to the Anzio battle. Check out the tune 'When the Tigers Broke Free'.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 5:38pm
I will, thanks!
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2014 at 5:16am
Les, The front looks naked without the len's to the  turn/ signal/ whatever lights your missing. I have found them . Send me you're address and I'll mail them to you. Or we could meet in Blanchard ID for fish and chips and make an exchange.  Gary.
gostby
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2014 at 4:56am
I'm up for either one. I appreciate you taking the time to track them down. You've already helped out quite a bit.

If you'd like to ship, our address is
1111 War Eagle Ave
Athol ID 83801

If you'd rather meet in Blanchard, let me know what works for you.

Thanks again!
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2014 at 7:24am
That's a really neat idea and it looks good.  Thanks for sharing your project! Smile
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2014 at 6:45am
Gary,

The lenses came yesterday. Thank you again.
Les
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Reply Post Reply