Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grill welting installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutsathome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grill welting installation
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2015 at 5:47pm
I'm restoring my second 46 CJ2a and recently purchased a welting kit for the grill.  I also bought the rivet crimping tool as well.  Problem is the tool is completely useless because the rivets supplied with the kit is wrong! First, they are made of steel and should be copper.  Second, they are a smaller diameter than original and are shorter.  Therefor, it is impossible to get the proper crimp!  I had save the original rivets and had to use them on the ends of the welt where the metal is thicker, these were the only rivets that the tool worked as advertised.  Unfortunately,  I didn't have enough salvagable copper rivets to do the rest of the job and had to use the crummy steel ones using standard channel locks. Tired of repop crap!! If you are going to make it, make it RIGHT!!! Greg
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2015 at 1:33am
These are the rivets that are actually staples that go through the welting, right? I will be doing this work on my 2A shortly. These need to be on the grill and the gas tank hold down as well. I am going to try to copper box staples that will work, and use a flat pliers to fold them under.

I have struggled with poor quality repop stuff as well - starting with my tub. We re-worked a LOT of stuff and are nearly done. Assembly needs to happen in the next month or so.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2015 at 3:19am
I used stainless steel welding wire, 1.6mm to bend up some nice "staples", worked good, managed to recycle the original holes and won't rust.....that was on the fuel tank strap.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply