Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand cranking to set points...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand cranking to set points...
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 6:19pm
When I use a socket set up to turn crankshaft by hand, the distributor shaft does not spin,
is that normal and if so how do you spin distributor shaft slowly to set point gap?

"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 6:36pm
Not normal!! Distributor is mechanically tied to cam shaft which is mechanically tied to the crankshaft.  If crank is moving, everything should be moving.  Are  you going counter clockwise on the crank and possible backing out the bolt?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 6:40pm
Is there an oil pump installed on your engine?

Crankshaft drives camshaft which drives oil pump. End of distributor fits into end of oil pump. Oil pump turns distributor.

Edited by WillyBill - 19 Oct. 2016 at 6:54pm
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:02pm
when  the motor is running, it is about 600 to 700 RPM!!  Turning the crank by hand doesn't quite hit that mark!!  Keep turning it!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:23pm
The crank does have to go around twice to turn the distributor around once, so maybe you do need to turn the crank a little more.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:30pm
smfulle, I tried CW and CCW, same result.

WillyBill, the motor has about 1000 miles since it was rebuilt...I feel like he put an oil pump in...?

binthere, so if I keep turning CW it will eventually turn the distributor shaft?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:43pm
OK I will try that, CW direction right?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 8:09pm
If you use the starter to crank it, do you get oil pressure?
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 8:32pm
dodjh,
Did you recently pull the distributor?  If so, are you certain that you re-seated it all the way back into the oil pump slot?

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 8:33pm
Unkamonkey, my oil pressure gauge isn't working right now...the needle in the gauge has separated from the main housing.  When working, it showed good pressure.

smuffle, just wasn't turning the crank enough rotations...it moves the Dist. shaft fine.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 8:37pm
athawk11, just missed you post...no the distributor hasn't been pulled since the overhaul about a year ago.  I was thinking about an all electronic distributor but still not decided.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 8:42pm
Great news, I was working through the system to be sure your timing gears and oil pump gears were still good.
uncamonkey
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 9:06pm
I am relieved that it does turn by hand and thank you for your help,
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 10:33pm
Just be sure not to leave your ratchet on the nut when you start it up after setting the points.
And don't ask me how I know this.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 11:17pm
If you turn the crank clockwise, the rotor turns counterclockwise. And yeah, just keep turning!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 12:50am
63owner, I had an 8" extension on the socket and I knew to take it off before cranking BUT somewhere in the process I didn't remove it and when I realized it, TOO LATE.
Don't know how but when I looked, the ratchet and socket were intact just a little out from the crankshaft nut. 

binthere, you were right...it just took more turning to move the Dist. shaft.

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 1:29am
Heh, heh, heh. Years ago I found out you can start an old VW motor by using a spark plug socket and ratchet wrench on the generator nut. Tools can fly if it starts.
uncamonkey
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 2:21am
That sounds Dangerous!

I tried to find an engine hand crank for the Willy's jeep couple of years back but no success.

That should work well for turning the motor over slowly and seems like if you didn't take it off you would trip over it.

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>