Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heat riser help needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat riser help needed
    Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 4:49am
I bought a kit to rebuild my heat riser and installed new bushings and new shaft with original flap. I made the flap move or float freely but then now it is really stiff to where it stays wherever I put it and won't move easily for the spring to do its job. Anyone know why it started perfectly operating but soon after now it is stiff? What changed? Thinking I might have to buy another new shaft and bore the bushings even larger. What else could I try first? Already tried wd40.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 9:58am
It moved freely. You put the plate on. It moved freely. You installed the spacer,spring and lollipop now won't move freely? If so, it was moved over against the sidewall and is rubbing.
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 12:55pm
Like ScoutPilot said, pry it back. Another Q was it running? You should have used Anti-sieze to keep the carbon from gumming up the works a little bit longer. Do not buy another, just fix it.
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 2:28pm
It was running and working fine. Then after driving it a couple weeks I checked and found it was very stiff but does move when I use a little force. When I rebuilt it I forgot to use antiseize so I was Thinking it simply got filled with carbon.

I
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 2:30pm
How can I reuse the shaft without buying another kit? Last time I had to use a drill bit to drill out the weld in multiple spots which basically destroyed the shaft. Unless there is a better way to remove it.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 5:21pm
Without seeing the shaft itself, that is very difficult to answer.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 11:24pm
Just fix it in the open position and leave it there. I have mine fixed open for about 4 years now and have had no issues with it being that way contrary to what others profess.
Life is only as good as you make it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 11:50pm
I must take exception to that suggestion. Kennewick is in Southeastern Washington on the Snake River. I' m thinking your climate makes it important that the heat riser work correctly.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 12:25am
Fix it, it's there for a reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 12:33am
Yeah I'm going to fix it. Just trying to get opinions and ideas before I start. But it's been not working correctly for a couple months now and I know I can just fix it open which is what I have done so far and I'm sure I could forever but I want to fix it.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 1:01am
  You could spray some carburetor cleaner a round the shaft to clean it and then mix some grinding compound with light wt. oil or penetrating oil  and work it in around the shaft  and work it back and forth to open the hole up a little. flush it back out with carb cleaner and work some anti seize compound in around the shaft.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 4:59pm
Has always started and ran fine in temps down to 0 f and lower without the use of the heat riser. 
Life is only as good as you make it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 7:01pm
Mine starts and runs great in summer stuck open. Now in winter seems cold blooded and needs to choke longer until warm
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 7:10pm
That is why the heat riser is important. Running rich to compensate is not good from the standpoint of carbon buildup in the cylinders. Not to mention excess fuel burn. Efficiency and motor longevity.
robwkamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robwkamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 7:21pm
whats the lever position for fully open? Mine is a little tight but you can move it by hand. thanks Robert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 7:39pm
I believe up is open
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 7:49pm
You had a 50/50 chance at getting that one right. Correctly installed, lollipop up/level is closed.  With an older un-rebuilt motor expect a little bounce from it every now and then while running at idle. The bi-metal spring tab needs to rest/float on top of the other tab.
merc_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2014 at 4:54am
How do you go about checking heat riser to see if it is working properly?  

I live in South Texas and usually don't drive the 2a in temps under the mid 90s but am planning a trip to the desert over new years.
____

1947 CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>