Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater Restore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Restore
    Posted: 25 June 2016 at 7:03pm
I'm restoring this under dash heater...

I've got the side end plate off and the small rad core removed. I want to remove the fan and electric motor so I can clean/paint the housing. I've loosened the collar right by the wires. It now moves/spins a bit now, but it stuck in the collar. There is a bushing and set screw holding the fan blade onto the motor shaft. Got the set screw out and working on removing the bushing. There is a plastic type material between the housing collar and the electric motor. My question is, once I get the fan blade off, does the motor come out the back or do you push it into the housing and pull it out thru the side plate access? Appreciate any advise, I do not want to destroy this thing. thx

Jim
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2016 at 3:09pm
Jim,

I just went through this on my heater. I had a devil of a time removing the fan blade from the motor shaft.  Once the fan blade is removed, the motor pulls out from the back side. I sprayed silicone in between the motor and the rubber bushing surrounding the motor once the fan was removed. I very gently used a small thin bladed screwdriver and started working it around the bushing and the motor. I did this and sprayed more silicone between the rubber bushing and the motor on both sides of the motor. Let is sit for a while, then gently tried to rotate the motor in the bushing in a back and forth motion. It took many attempt at working the rotation, but eventually the motor was free in the rubber bushing and pulled out the back of the heater.

Take your time and you maybe able to save the bushing, I was able to.

Good luck to you,

Frank
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2016 at 4:18pm
Thank you Frank.. I really appreciate your advice ... pulling the shaft bushing is going to be the first hurdle. I'll post pic of my progress.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 26 June 2016 at 4:21pm
Jim
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2016 at 10:08pm
Jim,

Just take your time doing the removal. I was able to save the motor and the rubber bushing. However, as my 2A is now 12 volt, I went and got another motor at NAPA. I had to shorten the shaft on the NAPA motor and use welting to mount the motor.

Anyway, best of luck to you, all good of course,

Frank
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 10:51pm
Got the heater apart...thx Frank.. lubricated the motor with spray silicone... held the fan blade bushing, it's brass, with pliers and put a thin punch thru the front grille and onto the end of the motor shaft... few hammer taps and motor came right out of the back of the housing.. the plastic electric motor bushing is fine. I cleaned and painted rad core. Soaking end plate in vinegar to see how it cleans  up...day 2 looks good.... if it cleans up nice I'll dip the full housing as it has good surface rust.

Jim
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 2:25pm
Jim,

Glad it worked out for you ! Now you can keep your left toes nice and warm, the right toes may not be as warm =-).

I have not mounted my heater hoses as of yet. Do you have any ideas on the routing and attachment points to the body of the hoses from the block(head and water pump) to the heater inlets ?

Enjoy,

Frank
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 2:37pm
I found this awhile ago..

I have a box of hardware that I've collected... I'll take a pic later..

Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 4:37pm

Jim
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 6:57pm
Jim,

Thanks for the information you posted. That will give me a start and off my b*tt and get the hoses installed before winter comes once again.

Frank
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:15am
End plate and fan vinegar soak... before / after

fan blade after 2 days in the vinegar.... junk just fell off

Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 3:26pm
Done... got everything painted. Went non original grey. Vinegar worked really well... if you have time to let it soak.. it gets it really clean... you can see just a bit of rust pitting.. but it took it down to clean metal.

Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 4:44pm
Notes: the motor on mine came out of the top of the metal collar, and take note to the way the plastic type bushing sits between the motor and the metal collar. If its not put back in the correct way, ie; if its up side down, you cannot push the motor back down into the collar. Silicone spray helps as well. Wires were cloth covered original, I  put new heat shrink  on them to help protect them. Also, Fan blade has a brass bushing in the front that holds fan to motor shaft, which is held in place by a set screw / flat head.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 11 Sep. 2016 at 4:48pm
Jim
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 3:37pm
Thank you for posting your trials and tribulations..... I have 'obtained' the exact same heater and need to 'clean it up' and change it from 6 volt to 12 volt.  Your step by step explanation will save me time and frustration.  Any last remarks / lessons learned you would like to pass along?  Again, Thank you
JeepRobbins
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 6:32pm
My 3A came with a heater like yours. Wasn't hooked up (one tube goes to the rear of the head and needs a heater valve, the other to the water pump). Had it hooked up. Everything was good driving it home from the shop. Took it on a drive into town. Made it about four miles when it overheated and blew anti-freeze all over. Took the heater out after I got it home. Took it to a radiator shop to see about getting it re-cored. They looked at it and finally took a tapered round iron rod and taped it into the two tubes. Although it looked round to me, it wasn't. Works now. You might want to look carefully to see how round the pipes are.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 2:27am
Jim,
Since your angle is canted, does that mean it sits on a slant when installed?
I have this same heater in my 45 and I was thinking that at some point in 46 they changed this mount to angle the heater a little bit.  If I recall correctly someone said it was to give more feet room or maybe it was to point the heater towards your feet?  Can't really remember that part.

With regards to the vinegar soak, are you using just plain white vinegar?  How many parts can you run (or soak) though it before it is no longer effective?
Haven't used that method before.
Thanks for sharing. 

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 4:25pm
Jim - by chance do you remember the NAPA part number for the 12 volt blower motor you installed?  I have my NAPA guy scratching his head.  Did you replace yours with the motor that had a 3 inch diameter rather than the 2 3/4 inch original (due to what was available in the market)?  I have found another wonderful use for kitty litter buckets - parts soaker......  Thanks, Jim 
JeepRobbins
 Post Reply Post Reply