Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me ID this Cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me ID this Cab
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 11:53am
This thing followed me home the other day. I haven't been able to find any info om it on the site. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I'm also looking for a source for the weather stripping for the side windows.
Thanks in advance.
Tact is for those without the intelligence for sarcasm.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 4:35pm
What you've got there is, I believe, a very rare Willys factory cab. It was the first cab produced for the jeep and only made 1946-1948.

http://www.cj3b.info/Hardtops/WillysHardtop.html

Larry

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 5:25pm
Did it follow you home on that slick little cart?......because someone must have thought highly of that top to make something so "custom".
Yeah, X2 on the identity. Very cool and rare.Thumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 6:21am
Hi MIZZOU29:

Great find there!  You are one lucky fella to have that Willys half-cab follow you home. Smile

Could you please measure the height, length and thickness of each side window and post those dimensions here in this thread?  I have the same factory half cab but am missing the side windows so need to have some made.  Are your side windows made of glass or hard plastic?  Thank you in advance for their measurements.  Wink

I'd also appreciate you posting a few close-up photos of the grab handle on the sliding front window showing its shape and how it is attached to the glass pane so I can try and duplicate those for my half cab.  Again, measurements of the grab handle's size and location on the glass pane would be much appreciated.  Is there anything attached vertically to the rear of the rearmost glass pane?   Does the rear pane slide too or is it stationary? 

I imagine, but don't know for sure, that the weather stripping the side windows slide is standard industry double track window channel that press fits down into the squarish grooves in the door.   My half cab is 30 miles away so I can't measure the width of the groove.  But if you measure yours and search for double track window channel among parts suppliers (try local upholstery shops to) you should be able to find them.   So I hope, as I've never seen what the original window channels look like and didn't take any photos or measurements of those on Don Dill's half cab jeep when I saw it in person many years ago.  
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

MIZZOU29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 12:12pm
Thanks for the info everyone.
Fred I'll get the measurements you asked for when I get home tonight and post them, along with some more detailed photos. I believe the windows are glass, but I didn't take a lot of notice except that the drivers side had one missing. the top in general seems to be in good shape, there's some wood in the forward uprights that has rotted, and some of the rain channel is dinged up pretty good, but otherwise it seams to be solid. I've found some green paint under the surface rust. Would that likely be the original color? also the top was attached to the tub with with 1/4 inch bolts going into nut plates under the cowling. Was that the way it was designed? More questions to follow I'm sure.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 2:28pm
Is it just me or does it look like someone (or something)Shocked   is already sitting on the driver side?

That reflection is spooky.

(Nice score)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 3:59pm
Chad, you and "Franky" need to do an episode of "Ghost Hunters".Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 3:33am
okay...that's creeping me out!!..........nice find!   I think...
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

MIZZOU29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 12:22pm
Thanks Roc, now I can't work in the shop without looking over my shoulder every few minutes..LOL
The "shadow" is actually some PB Blaster overspray ran down on the windshield.
Fred, Heres the pics you asked for, at least what I think you asked for. If you need anything else just holler.
 The first is the Drivers side front. It's definitely laminated "safety" glass, you can see the two seperate panes in one of the pics. This side has a handle block you mentioned, while the passenger side doesn't.
 Here's the top edge of the same.
 Looks like about 14-9/16" tall.
Like I said, the drivers side is the only one that had a handle block, and it looks like it is just stuck on with some sort of adhesive. Its black in between the glass and handle block.
The last one may be hard to see but, it's the width of the handle block,looks like around 5/16" to 3/8"
The next is the glass thickness, and you can see the two panes  pretty clear.
This is the passenger side rear glass. It does move but the front on this side is stuck in place right now. The weather stripping on this side looks like it could be original. Your thoughts?
About a 1" overlap on the two pieces.
I hope this helps. If you need anything else let me know. Another question I have, Where these tops insulated at all? I read in the aticle on the 3B page about a masonite door panel on them. This isn't going to be a factory restoration, but I would like to stay close if I can. It might be time to move this to the Projects Forum If you guys would be interested in keeping up with my progress. 

Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 2:09pm
Mozzou29:

Thank you so much for the side glass and handle measurements.  They will enable me to make laminated glass side windows for my cab when I get the jeep home and running.  :)  

The parts list for this metal half cab appears only in the 1947 Second Edition CJ-2A Parts List under Group 35-29, Metal Enclosure. There is no entry for any roof insulation, but. I imagine the roof gets very hot in the sun and radiates heat down on the driver and passenger.  If you want a copy of the Metal Enclosure parts list pages I can scan and email them to you.  BTW, the font panel assembly is affixed to the cowl with seven 5/16-18 X 5/8" hex head bolts, nuts, plain washers and lockwashers. 

My half cab had a homemade set up of some type of insulation board held in place against the roof with many stiff metal wires (similar to coat hanger wire) running from the top of the front windshield back to where the roof joins the rear panel.  Today I'd use 1" (or so) thick foam board with the aluminum side up, held in place by metal stiff wires rather than glue.  Better yet, put a sheet of masonite or thin birch plywood underneath the foam as a new roof interior for the cab.  A dense foam sleeping bag mat might be a decent alternative type of insulation. 

Thanks again for the measurements.  Smile      
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

MIZZOU29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2014 at 11:56am
Your wlecome Fred. like I said let me know if you need a pic of anything else. Do you know if you can buy the windshield weatherstipping anywhere?
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2014 at 12:58pm
Many cabs ( if not all ) have ribbing on the ceilings,they were not only for re-enforcement,but for attaching an interior ceiling.Often insulation was added,sandwiched between the roof and thin plywood/ sheeting interior.The ceiling and insulation helped keep heat out/ in,and cool out / in,plus kept road noise and interior echo down.they were pretty crude by today's standard,but at the time it was a selling point for a family/ farm vehichle
 Post Reply Post Reply