Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help.... No spark from coil...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help.... No spark from coil...?
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 12:17am
Howdy, I got the rig together after getting the tub restored, and she's ready for her first fire-up since I drove her to this spot 15 months ago to start with the semi-restoration.

I thought I marked and minded which wires went where, but Im not getting any spark from the coil. I have a feeling I should have remembered something about the coil wires that I have since forgotten. The rig has been converted to 12V starter, coil, and solid state dist. Using the diagram below, I thought I got it wired right.

On the diagram, the coil section is not clear....:or maybe wrong?

The diagram has the 'run' from the starter switch to the +side of the coil. There's a blue wire also on the +side of the coil, to the dist (12v converted solid state distributor from Kaiserwillys), and a black wire on the -side of the coil to the dist. Does this seem correct?

In the picture of my wiring, the green from the switch 'run' post and blue to dist are both on the +side o f the coil. Something's nagging me about that for some reason. ( Don;t worry I will loom and get all those wires all pretty once she's running;-).

Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 12:48am
STUPID ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured it out..... I was using one of those remote relay switch starters so I could start it under the hood.... Once I turned the key to run, it fired right up with the relay starter!!!!!!!!!!!!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 12:49am
1. Is the "RUN" post in the diagram marked "IGN" on the switch?
2. Tell us again why you have two wires into the coil, instead of one?
3. The diagram is correct. One wire from "IGN" to "+" pole of the coil.
4. One wire from "-" pole on coil to distributor.
5. Did the previous wiring include a resistor between the switch and coil?
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 12:52am
It just occurred to me you've got a hot lead (the blue wire) from the coil to the dizzy. I sure hope you didn't fry the electronics in the dizzy.
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 10:47pm
I looked at an old pic I had of when i first hooked it up and ran... corrected that. Now the only issue seems to be carb related as it cuts out like it is starved after 5-10  minutes of running.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 11:19pm
 SOLID STATE DIZZY  I SEE..

DO YOU HAVE A COIL FOR ELECTRONIC DIZZY OR A REGULAR COIL FOR A POINTS, CONDENSER STYLE ??

THEY ARE DIFFERENT Wink ..
POINTS COIL WILL HEAT UP AND CUT OUT WITHIN 7 MINUTES LIKE ITS STARVING FOR FUEL TRYING TO USE IT WITH AN ELECTRONIC DIZZY ..BEEN THERE FIXED THAT

Edited by hillbilly21 - 21 Oct. 2014 at 12:25am
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 2:30am
It's all a proper 12V conversion with solid state dizzy and coil
 Post Reply Post Reply