Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

herms overdrives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: herms overdrives
    Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:17pm
I was thinking about ordering one of herms overdrives. usually we only here about bad things about overdrives an not the good. how many of you out there are using them. I hope there are more good stories than bad. don't mind the $$$$$$$ if these are a product with a good track record .

thanks for any input
Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:50pm
I have one of Herm's and one Saturn. My next one will be another Saturn.

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 4:25pm
Not much bad to say about an Overdrive. They really work well. You don't really go any faster but it sure calms that engine down at high speeds. The bad would be the expense and it seems that Herm is the only guy dealing with the old WARNs.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:09pm
I really love using the overdrive.
Certainly, it provides the advantage of the slower engine speed in top gear as well as the additional intermediate ratios, but I just get a kick out of shifting up and down through six speeds instead of three.
The next overdrive I get will be from someone other than ATV Mfg.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:22pm
Overdrives are great but they are a completed little unit.  Saturn OD have had issues with crappy shift forks braking.  There's a reason why Herm is called the "Over drive guy"  No one knows more about them. His units are great, he also has used Warns etc. usually.  As far as used ones most of them need rebuilding which cost a few hundred bucks i parts etc. I've rebuilt my own twice and also had Herm do one. Herm knows how to really test them, as well as machine little parts to bring them back into specifications. I will be paying the pro to do it from now on. No business has a perfect record but Herm stands behind his work and is a great guy.  I've dealt with him for years.  Getting your shift linkage correct is important, a little interference can hold them from not engaging fully and this can lead to expensive pieces,.  

Edited by windyhill - 27 May 2015 at 6:26pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:07pm
were are most people buying the Saturn overdrives? are the units new? it looks like advance adaptors has them. the web site sais 4 to 6 weeks to ship. maybe thay are built when ordered?

Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:32pm
I bought mine new from Walck's. Not the cheapest option but I had some gift certificates saved up that I wanted to use. It was delivered to me in 3 days. I had a couple questions during the installation and called Advanced Adapters directly. They were very friendly and helpful.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:48pm
If all you have is time, you can find a good used one. I spent probably 4-5 months hunting mine down but it saved me a few hundred dollars. They are out there but you really have to have a scrupulous eye to weed out the bad ones and make sure you are getting the right one.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

If all you have is time, you can find a good used one. I spent probably 4-5 months hunting mine down but it saved me a few hundred dollars. They are out there but you really have to have a scrupulous eye to weed out the bad ones and make sure you are getting the right one.

2x.  The best are still the original Warns and even if you need to rebuild one, I believe you have a better product than a new Saturn.  I remain baffled why AA doesn't address the shifter fork issue on the Saturn's.  A well know problem that would be easy to fix even if it added $10 to the cost.

I agree with Seth's take on Herm.  Nice guy and knows what he is doing even if he has a certain 3B on his web header.  That said, no one's ever going to be perfect 100% of the time.  
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:01pm
I got mine from Herm a few years back and it has been trouble free. I know that if I needed anything I could depend on him to take care of it. One time backing down a particularly narrow trail I really enjoyed having a two speed reverse.
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 12:42am
I bought a new one from Herm last January.  I think it's mostly Advance Adapter parts (might be wrong there) but it has the bronze shift fork that some posters above thought might still be aluminum.
Herm is a bit abrupt and may accuse you of not putting oil in your unit if you have problems... but he backed up his talk when mine didn't go well on the first install.  I would do business with him again.  Advance Adaptor will sell you any repair parts you may need, like the square c-clip or bearings and such.

Oh... I loovvvee the OD!  It's fun to shift the extra gears and I can indeed go faster on local roads.  I feel much safer being able to hang with local traffic a little better.  It's fun to have the extra shifting opportunities when trail riding in low range too.

How many people can shift to a higher gear while in reverse?!  How cool is that?

Edited by tamnalan - 03 June 2015 at 12:49am
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 2:40am
I've been thinking of doing this on my 47. It will be coupled to a 4.3 vortec and T15. I have to come up with the cash, but selling off some stuff to get that done. I see the Walcks kit is pretty complete, with shift handle and hardware. I think its a decent price as well. But have dealt with Herm in the past and he stands behind his product.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 12:13pm
I bought a used one from Herm. Saved couple hundred bucks over a new.    I have been dealing with Herm for over 7 years now.    He stands behind what he sells.    He has been burned over the years and his bed side manor can be a little rough until he gets to know you .   There is no body more knowledgable than him.    I bought the overdrive for two reasons. # 1 up in the mountains you really need the over drive betweenness gears to give you a litte better gearing.   #2. I live in Houston and yes occasionally drive my Cj3b in the highway.     Before going over an overpass I would always loose 5 to 10mph.   After I can maintain 55 to 60 without loosing any speed.    Full disclosure I have a cj3b with a Huricane so I do have a little more power than a standard Cj2a. I have purchase Koeing Winch parts, dual master cylinder upgrade kit, 11" drum upgrades, rebuilt Warn 8274 winch, misclanous parts and the overdrive from him.
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 6:36pm
herm has a shift kit made for the t15 trans. i think it is mostly a different bracket that goes on the trans. i orderd the unit a week ago or so just waiting now. it is good to have some more parts to put toghter.

thanks for all the replys.
Harry Eisenhauer
seb68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 2:38am
Jamie,
May I ask you what did you have to do to your Koenig and how it went. I am contacting him with respect to this one. The lever is missing, but not sure if that is all.....  
Sebas
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 3:47am
Sorry for taking so long to respond, I traded for a NOS flip out windshield for my CJ3B. 
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
 Post Reply Post Reply